New Blackmore's Night...

Moderators: jim renolds, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

Altanon
Mediator

New Blackmore's Night...

Post by Altanon » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:00 pm

I know some folks here like Blackmore's Night, and I wanted to tell them that the new album, Autumn Sky, is, I think, their best yet. Like much, if not most, of their stuff, one listen is insufficient. I don't know what it is or why, but along about the third or forth time I play one of their songs, something just clicks.

So far, I have five I like a lot, and one cover that's impressive. The first song I heard was also the only one from the album with an official video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHHkWzWVDbc

The Hurdy Gurdy in this next one caught my attention:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsToJiNQ4Qo

One of the reviewers said they could picture Rainbow doing the next song, and almost hear Dio doing the vocals. I concur. Pay particular attention to Richie; pure Blackmore:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRkX05rN6Ok

The next piece is a little darker than most Blackmore's Night, and as some of y'all know - I couldn't write a cheerful song to save my life:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpxzVboqiws

This one you just have to listen for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wbw9_tyWZU

Doing a cover justice is a slippery slope; staying true to the original whilst simultaneously making it your own. I think they do a fine job on this old Kinks classic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58Ow_cM1aos

I'm sure, as I continue to listen to the album, each song will come to have a unique place in the overall whole.

Mark
Private Parties

Re: New Blackmore's Night...

Post by Mark » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:32 pm

Not my cup of tea. [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]

One last thing before I quit I never wanted anymore than I could fit into my head I still remember every single word you said and all the shit that somehow came along with it still there's one thing that comforts me since I was always caged but now I'm free

Guitars: ESP KH-2; Ibanez RG421; Peavey Tracer; Westone Spectrum FX; Yamaha Acoustic
Amps: JVM410H w/1960A cab; Fender M80; Crate G20
Effects: BOSS GT-6 Multi-Effects; Ibanez TS-10 Tube Screamer; BOSS DS-1 Distortion; BOSS CE-3 Stereo Chorus; BOSS DD-2 Digital Delay; DODFX87
Other: D'Addario 9's; Tortex Picks (the black ones); Levi straps; Lots of skulls and gobs of volume

Australian
World Tour

Post by Australian » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:36 pm

I like the first one! I will listen to all of them eventually. Richie is still a cool cat. Those little lead fills were nice to hear. I listened to them years ago but didnt take to them. I think I might like their newer music if the first song is an indication.
She reminds me of Stevie Nicks-I was in love with her in primary school.
MARSHALL AMPS:
AFD100
JVM410h (mods-C83 , Mercury choke, sozo caps)-AX&BX cabs
JVM410c
JVM205h
1959RR
JCM800 2203(1982)
JCM800 2205(1989)

CABS: Marshall-AHW & BHW ∞Ax & Bx1960 Classic • 1936(with Rola G1265's)•
EFFECTS:Pod XT Live• Digitech GSP-2101• Boss and other stomp boxes•
GUITARS: Fender Strats• Gibson-Custom LP• Standard LP• ES-335• Nighthawk Standard• Flying V• SG standard•
Peavey Wolfgang(archtop)• Yamaha SG• Jackson SL1• Maton Acoustic• Classical/Spanish guitars•

Bam Bam
World Tour

Post by Bam Bam » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:23 pm

I tried to like it, I really did. "Highland" sounds exactly like a Sunday Worship song at my church. I appreciate that for what it is, and sing along every Sunday, but it's NOT what I EVER want to hear from Ritchie Blackmore. This was my first time listening to Blackmore's Night and I didn't know what to expect. I'm so disappointed. I'm not saying it's "bad" music, but the Ritchie Blackmore I thought I knew must be dead and buried in the Scottish Highland somewhere! [smilie=icon_cry.gif]

Bam
Guitars: 2012 Ibanez 25th Anniversary RG3 w/Dimarzio D-Activator/Air Norton S, 2005 Charvel USA Custom Shop Pointy Head Reissue w/80's Jackson J-95/Duncan '59, 2010 Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas Style 1-2H w/Custom Custom/Jazz (was JB/'59 stock), 1987 Kramer Aerostar ZX30 w/Dimarzio Super Distortion/EMG Selects (passive single-coils)
Amps: JVM 410H (2007), EVH 5150III 50w head (2011), Peavey Series 2600 Mark III
Cabs: Avatar Contemporary 4x12 loaded with Hellatone 60s (Vintage 30s), Early 80's Peavey 2x12 loaded with Eminence Governors
Pedals: ISP Decimator, Morley Mark Tremonti Wah, Fulltone OCD (4th gen), Digitech Whammy (5th gen), MXR 10-Band EQ, Boss DD-3 Delay, Boss BF-3 Flanger, Korg Pitch Black Tuner, others

Australian
World Tour

Post by Australian » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:36 am

I had to listen to it again. I really like this song. I think Ritchie might just ride the Top 30 charts again. And she has improved as a singer so much since I last heard her 3 years ago.
MARSHALL AMPS:
AFD100
JVM410h (mods-C83 , Mercury choke, sozo caps)-AX&BX cabs
JVM410c
JVM205h
1959RR
JCM800 2203(1982)
JCM800 2205(1989)

CABS: Marshall-AHW & BHW ∞Ax & Bx1960 Classic • 1936(with Rola G1265's)•
EFFECTS:Pod XT Live• Digitech GSP-2101• Boss and other stomp boxes•
GUITARS: Fender Strats• Gibson-Custom LP• Standard LP• ES-335• Nighthawk Standard• Flying V• SG standard•
Peavey Wolfgang(archtop)• Yamaha SG• Jackson SL1• Maton Acoustic• Classical/Spanish guitars•

Altanon
Mediator

Post by Altanon » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:55 pm

Yeah, like I said: they have a way of growing on you.

bauhausbullet
Private Parties

Post by bauhausbullet » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:25 am

Mark wrote:Not my cup of tea. [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]
Very much mine at the moment. We (me and other half) went to see them in York (Grand Opera House) on Friday night, had a great time. My first time of seeing them live but have all their CD's, there's not much else like it around at the moment.

Respect to the man in chain mail and St. George's cross on the front row (definitely in keeping with his iphone).

I like Secret Voyage, Shadow of the moon (featuring Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull), Under a violet moon CD's. The new Autumn Sky album is good also and I agree it's better with more listens! That first track (Highland), that's a previous Eurovision song is it not? Best shut up, this is a Marshall forum [smilie=icon_redface.gif]

If you want a fun night out (and you like dressing up in medieval clothes) I'd recommend it!

A goodly time was had by all. R [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]

PS. Please santa, can I have a hurdy gurdy for xmas? [smilie=icon_wink.gif]

bauhausbullet
Private Parties

Post by bauhausbullet » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:28 pm

Hi all, for all Blackmore's Night fans; just stumbled on this and downloaded it - looks like a Japanese version of a Blackmore's Night tab book and there's loads of it!

http://www.4shared.com/get/AIAA8aOn/Tab ... lackm.html

R [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]