George Lynch "Behind the Player" DVD

Moderators: jim renolds, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

Playing4JC
Club Circuit

George Lynch "Behind the Player" DVD

Post by Playing4JC » Mon May 23, 2011 6:10 pm

I just got a new George Lynch DVD from the IMV "Behind the Player" series. George is playing at his best here. He teaches you how to play Mr. Scary and Tooth and Nail note for note plus he shows you some ways to embellish certain parts.

George has a few videos included and a little section where he kind of goes over his musical history. There is also a section where he jams the songs with a band in the studio. My favorite part is when he plays the whole song to a backing track right after breaking down the parts. George just goes off on these sections. [smilie=gt-happyup.gif] Lynch can still play the old stuff note for note when he wants to, but I think that just takes a lot of the fun out playing for him.
Marshall YJM100, Malmsteen Strats, SoCal Charvel and a bunch of pedals.

Mark
Private Parties

Re: George Lynch "Behind the Player" DVD

Post by Mark » Mon May 23, 2011 6:18 pm

He shows you Mr. Scary in its entirety, note-for-note?? How long does that take?? :yikes:

One last thing before I quit I never wanted anymore than I could fit into my head I still remember every single word you said and all the shit that somehow came along with it still there's one thing that comforts me since I was always caged but now I'm free

Guitars: ESP KH-2; Ibanez RG421; Peavey Tracer; Westone Spectrum FX; Yamaha Acoustic
Amps: JVM410H w/1960A cab; Fender M80; Crate G20
Effects: BOSS GT-6 Multi-Effects; Ibanez TS-10 Tube Screamer; BOSS DS-1 Distortion; BOSS CE-3 Stereo Chorus; BOSS DD-2 Digital Delay; DODFX87
Other: D'Addario 9's; Tortex Picks (the black ones); Levi straps; Lots of skulls and gobs of volume

Playing4JC
Club Circuit

Post by Playing4JC » Mon May 23, 2011 8:33 pm

Mark wrote:He shows you Mr. Scary in its entirety, note-for-note?? How long does that take?? :yikes:
Lynch has a lot different guitar tracks on the studio version, but he shows you the main parts that he uses to play the song live. It is a 90 minutes video and Guitar Center has it for $14.95. George is as scary as ever in this video. [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]

jim renolds
World Tour

Post by jim renolds » Mon May 23, 2011 10:23 pm

14.95 for 90 min. of George at GC? Color me "there".

DH
JVM 410H w/Mods: 1µF Plexi Cap, 3H Mojotone Choke, Neg. Feedback Adj. Pot.(500K)

Playing4JC
Club Circuit

Post by Playing4JC » Fri May 27, 2011 4:44 am

Mark wrote:He shows you Mr. Scary in its entirety, note-for-note?? How long does that take?? :yikes:
I finally watched all of the Mr Scary lesson on the DVD and George does show and explain most of the overdubed parts he did on the studio recording. It just goes to prove that George can still play exactly like he did back then, but as he says in the video he plays around with the songs to keep things interesting for himself. George is one of my favorite players and biggest influences so this video is just too cool for sure. [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]

Mark
Private Parties

Post by Mark » Fri May 27, 2011 12:42 pm

Playing4JC wrote:
I finally watched all of the Mr Scary lesson on the DVD and George does show and explain most of the overdubed parts he did on the studio recording. It just goes to prove that George can still play exactly like he did back then, but as he says in the video he plays around with the songs to keep things interesting for himself. George is one of my favorite players and biggest influences so this video is just too cool for sure. [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]
That's pretty cool!! I've never seen a video before where they actually taught you a song. Granted, I'm not well-versed in the guitar videos, but the ones I've seen pretty much all involved a famous player showing you a few licks and techniques, but no actual songs (at least not the whole song). icon_smile

One last thing before I quit I never wanted anymore than I could fit into my head I still remember every single word you said and all the shit that somehow came along with it still there's one thing that comforts me since I was always caged but now I'm free

Guitars: ESP KH-2; Ibanez RG421; Peavey Tracer; Westone Spectrum FX; Yamaha Acoustic
Amps: JVM410H w/1960A cab; Fender M80; Crate G20
Effects: BOSS GT-6 Multi-Effects; Ibanez TS-10 Tube Screamer; BOSS DS-1 Distortion; BOSS CE-3 Stereo Chorus; BOSS DD-2 Digital Delay; DODFX87
Other: D'Addario 9's; Tortex Picks (the black ones); Levi straps; Lots of skulls and gobs of volume

Playing4JC
Club Circuit

Post by Playing4JC » Fri May 27, 2011 2:38 pm

Mark wrote:
Playing4JC wrote:
That's pretty cool!! I've never seen a video before where they actually taught you a song. Granted, I'm not well-versed in the guitar videos, but the ones I've seen pretty much all involved a famous player showing you a few licks and techniques, but no actual songs (at least not the whole song). icon_smile
Now that you mention it Mark, the only other guitar star that I can think of who has instructional DVD's with sections where he breaks down some of his songs note for note is Lincoln Brewster. He has his "One on One" series volume one and volume two. Both of them have two DVD's each.

Surfcaster
World Tour

Post by Surfcaster » Fri May 27, 2011 2:44 pm

A friend of mine has both Lincoln Brewster DVDs and I just borrowed the first one...though life has been so busy I've not had a chance to even open the DVD case yet! Maybe this weekend...
AMPS
Marshall JVM 205H w/mods - Negative Feedback knob - 3H Mojotone Choke - Mid Shift switch - R72 Compression Mod <> JCM SE head(Home brew, single-ended, EL-34 powered, with JCM800 preamp) <> Prolux 112 (Fender Princeton-based home brew 1x12 combo)
CABS
Home-built 2x12 w/ G12M Greenbacks <> Home-built 1x12 w/WGS Green Beret
GUITARS
2010 G&L USA Legacy HB <> 2015 Gibson Les Paul Less Plus <> 1998 G&L USA Legacy with DiMarzio Area '58 and Area '61 pickups <> 2001 Taylor 414CE

Playing4JC
Club Circuit

Post by Playing4JC » Fri May 27, 2011 3:00 pm

Surfcaster wrote:A friend of mine has both Lincoln Brewster DVDs and I just borrowed the first one...though life has been so busy I've not had a chance to even open the DVD case yet! Maybe this weekend...
You are going to love the Lincoln Brewster videos Surfy. He is a great teacher and and players of all levels can get a lot out of the videos because of his detailed breakdown of even the most difficult or nuanced parts. Volume two is a double sided DVD and volume one is a two disc set. A few hours of one on one lessons with Lincoln Brewster can not help but make anyone a better player. He will show you some seriously cool stuff that you can get a lot of use out of. Lincoln is one of the best teachers I have ever seen and George Lynch does a great job of teaching also. George gave guitar lessons for years and it shows in his video. This one is much more detailed than his old REH video. George replaced Randy Rhoads as the guitar teacher in Randy's mother's music store.

It was cool to see Lincoln Brewster get some respect and make the cut for the first 10 of the 100 gifted guitarists everyone should know......but may not have heard of. Anytime you can get lumped in with players like Tommy Emmanuel you are in pretty darn good company. [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]

http://truefire.com/blog/100-gifted-guitarists/