Deadmau5.

Moderators: jim renolds, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

Jackie
World Tour

Deadmau5.

Post by Jackie » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:06 pm

Yes, I'm actually putting up a HOUSE artist's name in the "Favourite bands" section.
I hang out mostly with rockers and metalheads and such and I'll be the first to run to that crowd, but I feel the need for a little change once in a while so for the fun of it I asked my friend who's really into house music if he could throw me some good names (I think the best way to get to know a genre is to ask someone who's nuts about it), and he threw me this guy and some others I really wasn't crazy about TBH. I don't usually buy the "you gotta listen to a bit of everything" bullcrap but I gave this guy a shot nonetheless.

Without thinking or choosing I just threw his songs into a playlist on YouTube and started studying something... and boy was I surprised! His music is instrumental mostly, but I was impressed by the sound of the whole deal, the way he incorporates effects, the beat etc. it reminds me of this... pool of sound I just want to jump into, it's hard to explain but I like it. Of course it's no Dream Theater in terms of musicianship, but that's not the point - it's easygoing, nice to the ears and once again it sounds very nice. Like a well treated amp and cab [smilie=icon_mrgreen.gif]
Best part - almost everything he does is 100% his - on that note, he made a remix of Foo Figther's new song "Rope" that the Foos decided to feature on THEIR album (and it is pretty good actually)! So I was glad to see that even amidst the mostly shitty fabricated in-it-for-the-money idiot-tunes, there's a couple of good EDM artists like Deadmau5.

Again, I'm the last person in the world you'd see giving electronic music the thumbs up, but just like shitty metal, there's shitty electronic music and just like awesome metal... well, you get it. This guy gets mad props from me. [smilie=gt-happyup.gif] Just wish he'd do less colabs they sound inferior to his other stuff.
By the way, this is my favourite music for "passive listening". Like I said, it's like a "pool of sound" I want to just jump into and chill out - I love rock n' roll and the likes but I find it hard to concentrate on anything else while listening to it, I get "into" it too fast, so I'm glad I discovered this.

Some songs:
Ghosts N' Stuff
Faxing Berlin
Not Exactly (love how the bass line sits in the mix here)
Clockwork

This is NOT a joke btw. [smilie=icon_mrgreen.gif]

EDIT number 20123: this guy is actually performing at Rock am Ring 2011. [smilie=icon_eek.gif]
Tonemeister wrote:there is sooo much that the JVM can be...
GUITARS:
Modded Epiphone Goth Explorer w/BKP Nailbombs; Jackson KVMG Pro; Yamaha SG2000; Gibson SG '61 Reissue; Squier Classic Vibe Tele; Yamaha LLX6A
AMPS&CABS:
Marshall JVM410H (EH V1/V5; Chinese 12AX7B V2-V4; -ve fdbk mod, choke mod, plexi cap mod)
ENGL Savage 120 mk I; Marshall 1960A cab w/V30; Yamaha THR10v2
FX:
BOSS GT-6, Keeley-modded Dunlop Crybaby Wah
MISC:
Proel Esoteric cables, Ernie Ball strings; Dunlop Ultex Sharp picks, craft beer

Bam Bam
World Tour

Re: Deadmau5.

Post by Bam Bam » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:42 am

Hmmm.... you been doin' a little banana_rasta lately Jackie? [smilie=icon_razz.gif]

Ahhh, just kiddin'. It's pretty good stuff, really. I got into some electronica for a while myself, mostly Prodigy and the Chemical Brothers (Smack My Bitch Up!). It's always good to expand your musical horizons. I've written some really cool riffs/songs that were somewhat inspired by my journey into the digital realm.

Bam
Guitars: 2012 Ibanez 25th Anniversary RG3 w/Dimarzio D-Activator/Air Norton S, 2005 Charvel USA Custom Shop Pointy Head Reissue w/80's Jackson J-95/Duncan '59, 2010 Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas Style 1-2H w/Custom Custom/Jazz (was JB/'59 stock), 1987 Kramer Aerostar ZX30 w/Dimarzio Super Distortion/EMG Selects (passive single-coils)
Amps: JVM 410H (2007), EVH 5150III 50w head (2011), Peavey Series 2600 Mark III
Cabs: Avatar Contemporary 4x12 loaded with Hellatone 60s (Vintage 30s), Early 80's Peavey 2x12 loaded with Eminence Governors
Pedals: ISP Decimator, Morley Mark Tremonti Wah, Fulltone OCD (4th gen), Digitech Whammy (5th gen), MXR 10-Band EQ, Boss DD-3 Delay, Boss BF-3 Flanger, Korg Pitch Black Tuner, others

Jackie
World Tour

Post by Jackie » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:24 pm

The guy from Prodigy has a DSL, any influence there? [smilie=icon_razz.gif]

Not you too with the weed! Ever since I grew my hear my friends keep taunting me that I smoke pot even though I've never touched the stuff. [smilie=icon_confused.gif]
Tonemeister wrote:there is sooo much that the JVM can be...
GUITARS:
Modded Epiphone Goth Explorer w/BKP Nailbombs; Jackson KVMG Pro; Yamaha SG2000; Gibson SG '61 Reissue; Squier Classic Vibe Tele; Yamaha LLX6A
AMPS&CABS:
Marshall JVM410H (EH V1/V5; Chinese 12AX7B V2-V4; -ve fdbk mod, choke mod, plexi cap mod)
ENGL Savage 120 mk I; Marshall 1960A cab w/V30; Yamaha THR10v2
FX:
BOSS GT-6, Keeley-modded Dunlop Crybaby Wah
MISC:
Proel Esoteric cables, Ernie Ball strings; Dunlop Ultex Sharp picks, craft beer

Bam Bam
World Tour

Post by Bam Bam » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:26 pm

Hey, don't feel bad, my wife will occasionally look at me and ask "Have you been smoking pot?", which is hilarious because I haven't smoked any since 1998! But it doesn't exactly help to convince someone that your not stoned when you can't stop laughing! [smilie=icon_lol.gif]

Bam
Guitars: 2012 Ibanez 25th Anniversary RG3 w/Dimarzio D-Activator/Air Norton S, 2005 Charvel USA Custom Shop Pointy Head Reissue w/80's Jackson J-95/Duncan '59, 2010 Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas Style 1-2H w/Custom Custom/Jazz (was JB/'59 stock), 1987 Kramer Aerostar ZX30 w/Dimarzio Super Distortion/EMG Selects (passive single-coils)
Amps: JVM 410H (2007), EVH 5150III 50w head (2011), Peavey Series 2600 Mark III
Cabs: Avatar Contemporary 4x12 loaded with Hellatone 60s (Vintage 30s), Early 80's Peavey 2x12 loaded with Eminence Governors
Pedals: ISP Decimator, Morley Mark Tremonti Wah, Fulltone OCD (4th gen), Digitech Whammy (5th gen), MXR 10-Band EQ, Boss DD-3 Delay, Boss BF-3 Flanger, Korg Pitch Black Tuner, others