Dokken Reunion?

Moderators: jim renolds, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

Playing4JC
Club Circuit

Dokken Reunion?

Post by Playing4JC » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:56 pm

Does anyone know the status of the supposed Dokken reunion album and tour? Lynch played some songs with Dokken when the Lynch Mob toured with Dokken not too long ago. They said they already had 3 new songs in the can and were going to do a reunion tour with the Dokken, Lynch, Brown & Pilson line up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k1xalhPHdA
Marshall YJM100, Malmsteen Strats, SoCal Charvel and a bunch of pedals.

Bam Bam
World Tour

Re: Dokken Reunion?

Post by Bam Bam » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:29 pm

A couple days ago I read a more recent interview in which Lynch said that Don Dokken will NOT be touring with them, or doing anything at all for that matter. He alluded to the fact that Don is a screwed-up mess. He also said that they will be calling the band "Tooth and Nail", not Dokken, and that vocals will be done by Pilson and an as yet unnamed new vocalist. I'll post a link to it when I find it.

Bam
Guitars: 2012 Ibanez 25th Anniversary RG3 w/Dimarzio D-Activator/Air Norton S, 2005 Charvel USA Custom Shop Pointy Head Reissue w/80's Jackson J-95/Duncan '59, 2010 Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas Style 1-2H w/Custom Custom/Jazz (was JB/'59 stock), 1987 Kramer Aerostar ZX30 w/Dimarzio Super Distortion/EMG Selects (passive single-coils)
Amps: JVM 410H (2007), EVH 5150III 50w head (2011), Peavey Series 2600 Mark III
Cabs: Avatar Contemporary 4x12 loaded with Hellatone 60s (Vintage 30s), Early 80's Peavey 2x12 loaded with Eminence Governors
Pedals: ISP Decimator, Morley Mark Tremonti Wah, Fulltone OCD (4th gen), Digitech Whammy (5th gen), MXR 10-Band EQ, Boss DD-3 Delay, Boss BF-3 Flanger, Korg Pitch Black Tuner, others

jim renolds
World Tour

Post by jim renolds » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:31 am

Jeff can sing his tail off (and I didn't learn that until sort of recently). Don on the other hand, not so much anymore. Even in his heyday he was never a power singer, but I did enjoy his vocals anyway. If anyone remembers, of all the participants he was the only vocalist that Ronnie James Dio gave any constructive criticism to in the video on the making of the Hearing Aid benefit recording (We're Starz). Dio produced it, and Don couldn't get his vocals to sound aggressive enough to suit Dio. But I digress. I still like Don's voice, but miss the old days. Very few vocalists in that genre can keep it together into their 50s though.

DH
JVM 410H w/Mods: 1µF Plexi Cap, 3H Mojotone Choke, Neg. Feedback Adj. Pot.(500K)

Playing4JC
Club Circuit

Post by Playing4JC » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:54 am

Dark Horse wrote:Jeff can sing his tail off (and I didn't learn that until sort of recently). Don on the other hand, not so much anymore. Even in his heyday he was never a power singer, but I did enjoy his vocals anyway. If anyone remembers, of all the participants he was the only vocalist that Ronnie James Dio gave any constructive criticism to in the video on the making of the Hearing Aid benefit recording (We're Starz). Dio produced it, and Don couldn't get his vocals to sound aggressive enough to suit Dio. But I digress. I still like Don's voice, but miss the old days. Very few vocalists in that genre can keep it together into their 50s though.

DH
Here is the clip DH. Don was always more melodic than aggressive, but he did get aggressive on songs like "Unchain the Night" and even down right brutal on some of the later stuff like "Under the Gun." Don always had that vibrato that was pretty hard to beat along with melody and attitude I guess. There is not too much left of his voice these days. I know that people will laugh, but Don (in his prime) is still my all time favorite singer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZxhgIYd ... re=related

Don can tear up a ballad too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBcIk3CeC6o

Surfcaster
World Tour

Post by Surfcaster » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:29 pm

I always liked Dokken's voice...I was never into the guys that screamed, so I liked his melodioius approach.

Dio had an awesome voice, too...but anything more aggressive than Dio was too much for me. BTW, Dio did vocals on a song on Kerry Livgren's first solo album that was Christian-themed...thought that was interesting! It's a good song.
AMPS
Marshall JVM 205H w/mods - Negative Feedback knob - 3H Mojotone Choke - Mid Shift switch - R72 Compression Mod <> JCM SE head(Home brew, single-ended, EL-34 powered, with JCM800 preamp) <> Prolux 112 (Fender Princeton-based home brew 1x12 combo)
CABS
Home-built 2x12 w/ G12M Greenbacks <> Home-built 1x12 w/WGS Green Beret
GUITARS
2010 G&L USA Legacy HB <> 2015 Gibson Les Paul Less Plus <> 1998 G&L USA Legacy with DiMarzio Area '58 and Area '61 pickups <> 2001 Taylor 414CE

Playing4JC
Club Circuit

Post by Playing4JC » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:41 pm

Surfcaster wrote:I always liked Dokken's voice...I was never into the guys that screamed, so I liked his melodioius approach.

Dio had an awesome voice, too...but anything more aggressive than Dio was too much for me. BTW, Dio did vocals on a song on Kerry Livgren's first solo album that was Christian-themed...thought that was interesting! It's a good song.
It sounds like we have the same taste in singers Surf. I think Dio is a great singer also, but when metal "singers" only shout, growl, bark and ghoul into a microphone that ruins potentially good songs for me.

Bam Bam
World Tour

Post by Bam Bam » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:21 am

Here's one of the articles I read :

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/N ... 11-2011%5C

Here's Don:

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/N ... 20-2011%5C

I read another article that was more in-depth, but I can't find it at the moment.

Bam
Guitars: 2012 Ibanez 25th Anniversary RG3 w/Dimarzio D-Activator/Air Norton S, 2005 Charvel USA Custom Shop Pointy Head Reissue w/80's Jackson J-95/Duncan '59, 2010 Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas Style 1-2H w/Custom Custom/Jazz (was JB/'59 stock), 1987 Kramer Aerostar ZX30 w/Dimarzio Super Distortion/EMG Selects (passive single-coils)
Cabs: Avatar Contemporary 4x12 loaded with Hellatone 60s (Vintage 30s), Early 80's Peavey 2x12 loaded with Eminence Governors
Pedals: ISP Decimator, Morley Mark Tremonti Wah, Fulltone OCD (4th gen), Digitech Whammy (5th gen), MXR 10-Band EQ, Boss DD-3 Delay, Boss BF-3 Flanger, Korg Pitch Black Tuner, others

Surfcaster
World Tour

Post by Surfcaster » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:56 am

That's cool to see all those guys. What's most interesting is to hear them singing when you can't hear the music...and realizing these guys are human, too!! Hitting a bum note here and there!

And interesting to see the Y&T dude there....I had one of their albums on cassette and recently discovered a song of theirs I hadn't heard before that I really like...Don't be Afraid of the Dark.
AMPS
Marshall JVM 205H w/mods - Negative Feedback knob - 3H Mojotone Choke - Mid Shift switch - R72 Compression Mod <> JCM SE head(Home brew, single-ended, EL-34 powered, with JCM800 preamp) <> Prolux 112 (Fender Princeton-based home brew 1x12 combo)
CABS
Home-built 2x12 w/ G12M Greenbacks <> Home-built 1x12 w/WGS Green Beret
GUITARS
2010 G&L USA Legacy HB <> 2015 Gibson Les Paul Less Plus <> 1998 G&L USA Legacy with DiMarzio Area '58 and Area '61 pickups <> 2001 Taylor 414CE

Playing4JC
Club Circuit

Post by Playing4JC » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:32 am

Bam Bam wrote:Here's one of the articles I read :

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/N ... 11-2011%5C

Here's Don:

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/N ... 20-2011%5C

I read another article that was more in-depth, but I can't find it at the moment.

Bam
I can't get the links to open Bam. The pages are blank when I click on them. I will try it with my other computer later.

Playing4JC
Club Circuit

Post by Playing4JC » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:34 am

Surfcaster wrote:That's cool to see all those guys. What's most interesting is to hear them singing when you can't hear the music...and realizing these guys are human, too!! Hitting a bum note here and there!

And interesting to see the Y&T dude there....I had one of their albums on cassette and recently discovered a song of theirs I hadn't heard before that I really like...Don't be Afraid of the Dark.
Dave Meniketti is a great player and singer.

Bam Bam
World Tour

Post by Bam Bam » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:32 pm

Have I mentioned that we're playing with Y&T three weeks from now???? [smilie=banana_smiley.gif]

And if you can't get those links to open, just go to the Gibson home page and search for George Lynch. Those articles will pop up.

Bam