Lizzie's BAAACK!! (And rockin' an Explorer this time...)

Moderators: jim renolds, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

jim renolds
World Tour

Lizzie's BAAACK!! (And rockin' an Explorer this time...)

Post by jim renolds » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:12 am

Man, I've said it before but it's worth repeating. This chick is the Real Deal - a true Rock singer and player. Not good "for a girl," just freakin' GOOD, period. Plus, if I weren't married I think I'd be falling in love again! I especially like the grind in her voice when she sings, "I love the way that it HUUURRRTTS) at the end of the chorus.

Halestorm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpJAmlnBxoA

DH
JVM 410H w/Mods: 1µF Plexi Cap, 3H Mojotone Choke, Neg. Feedback Adj. Pot.(500K)

S&M Freddy
Arena

Re: Lizzie's BAAACK!! (And rockin' an Explorer this time...)

Post by S&M Freddy » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:42 am

Saw them last month here in Bristol. Lzzy is beguiling and as you say a real talent. Too be honest though her other guitarist was pretty poor live and they could do with some JVMs as they both sounded a bit weak. Using Marshalls (VM's or 800's I think) but not really much drive/guts.

There were lots of young adoring girls in the audience so she has a kind of 'bieber fever' crowd following and the show was a bit cheesy and didn't come off too well in a small venue.

She comes across as a genuinely lovely person though and her voice was incredible.
Cornford RK100
Victory V30
Yamaha THR10
Big box 2x12 cabs with V30's and Celestion G12T-75's, 3x12 Projector cab with classic 80's
Music Man Axis, PRS Mira, Gibson Les Paul Standards ('98 and '00), Gibson Explorer Trad Pro, Gibson Classic DC, Gordon Smith Graduate 60, Graduate Slimline, Explorer, Breadwinner and Gypsy 1.5, Fernandes STJ75, 'Fredster' Telecaster
Nobels midi controller, Cry Baby Wah, Fulltone Deja Vibe, TS 808 clone, TC Dreamscape, TC Flashback, TC HOF, Line 6 M5 Stompbox Modeler in loop, Nobels Pre1 Boost

jim renolds
World Tour

Post by jim renolds » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:21 pm

There's another guitarist?

We guitarists often forget how insignificant we really are, though. Good songwriting and good vocals will trump a virtuoso guitarist every time. Of course, put them all together and it's really special.

That's a little disturbing about the young-girl following. That hasn't seemed to be the case over here, but it could be a bad omen for a Rock band. Plus, a lot of their material isn't exactly what "young girls" should really be listening to. It's not graphic, but it ain't exactly Disney, or "Bieber" either.

Oh, yeah -you're right, I forgot it's "Lzzy", not "Lizzie."

DH
JVM 410H w/Mods: 1µF Plexi Cap, 3H Mojotone Choke, Neg. Feedback Adj. Pot.(500K)

S&M Freddy
Arena

Post by S&M Freddy » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:53 pm

Dark Horse wrote:There's another guitarist?

We guitarists often forget how insignificant we really are, though. Good songwriting and good vocals will trump a virtuoso guitarist every time. Of course, put them all together and it's really special.

That's a little disturbing about the young-girl following. That hasn't seemed to be the case over here, but it could be a bad omen for a Rock band. Plus, a lot of their material isn't exactly what "young girls" should really be listening to. It's not graphic, but it ain't exactly Disney, or "Bieber" either.

Oh, yeah -you're right, I forgot it's "Lzzy", not "Lizzie."

DH
Halestorm are not very well known in the UK....mainly from supporting Shinedown here. I think the girl following is a bit if a wannabe thing. It was a bit disturbing....all us crusty old rockers at the back and a load of young 'rock chicks' down by the stage. Made me feel like a right old fart [smilie=icon_sad.gif]
Cornford RK100
Victory V30
Yamaha THR10
Big box 2x12 cabs with V30's and Celestion G12T-75's, 3x12 Projector cab with classic 80's
Music Man Axis, PRS Mira, Gibson Les Paul Standards ('98 and '00), Gibson Explorer Trad Pro, Gibson Classic DC, Gordon Smith Graduate 60, Graduate Slimline, Explorer, Breadwinner and Gypsy 1.5, Fernandes STJ75, 'Fredster' Telecaster
Nobels midi controller, Cry Baby Wah, Fulltone Deja Vibe, TS 808 clone, TC Dreamscape, TC Flashback, TC HOF, Line 6 M5 Stompbox Modeler in loop, Nobels Pre1 Boost

Jackie
World Tour

Post by Jackie » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:32 pm

I'd go and see this band in a heartbeat, it's hard to find a band like this, yet alone female rock vocals like these!!!

DH is right about guitarists being less-than-über-important... I was almost shocked when I played a Behemoth riff to my girl and she had zero idea which song I was playing, even though it's a song she showed me (and the riff in question has no vocals over it, and not to mention it is one of her favorite songs). And that's death metal where vocals aren't really hard (hard to do properly, yes, but hard as in hard to hit notes, staying in key, no). I think the idea of the guitar riff still being the thing that supports the song (during verses and choruses etc.) is one that us guitarists seem to neglect a lot. I'd pick a band with mediocre/lacking riffs and great vocals over a band with great riffs and whimpy vocals (Megadeth anyone?) any day.
Tonemeister wrote:there is sooo much that the JVM can be...
GUITARS:
Modded Epiphone Goth Explorer w/BKP Nailbombs; Jackson KVMG Pro; Yamaha SG2000; Gibson SG '61 Reissue; Squier Classic Vibe Tele; Yamaha LLX6A
AMPS&CABS:
Marshall JVM410H (EH V1/V5; Chinese 12AX7B V2-V4; -ve fdbk mod, choke mod, plexi cap mod)
ENGL Savage 120 mk I; Marshall 1960A cab w/V30; Yamaha THR10v2
FX:
BOSS GT-6, Keeley-modded Dunlop Crybaby Wah
MISC:
Proel Esoteric cables, Ernie Ball strings; Dunlop Ultex Sharp picks, craft beer

S&M Freddy
Arena

Post by S&M Freddy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:16 pm

Jackie wrote:I'd go and see this band in a heartbeat, it's hard to find a band like this, yet alone female rock vocals like these!!!

DH is right about guitarists being less-than-über-important... I was almost shocked when I played a Behemoth riff to my girl and she had zero idea which song I was playing, even though it's a song she showed me (and the riff in question has no vocals over it, and not to mention it is one of her favorite songs). And that's death metal where vocals aren't really hard (hard to do properly, yes, but hard as in hard to hit notes, staying in key, no). I think the idea of the guitar riff still being the thing that supports the song (during verses and choruses etc.) is one that us guitarists seem to neglect a lot. I'd pick a band with mediocre/lacking riffs and great vocals over a band with great riffs and whimpy vocals (Megadeth anyone?) any day.
Good point....I was just jealous and wanted the job! [smilie=icon_wink.gif]
Cornford RK100
Victory V30
Yamaha THR10

jim renolds
World Tour

Post by jim renolds » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:02 am

S&M Freddy wrote:
Jackie wrote:I'd go and see this band in a heartbeat, it's hard to find a band like this, yet alone female rock vocals like these!!!

That would fix their problem at the same time. Win/Win!

DH

S&M Freddy
Arena

Post by S&M Freddy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:43 am

Dark Horse wrote:
S&M Freddy wrote:

That would fix their problem at the same time. Win/Win!

DH
Yep.....another not very good guitarist.....but with a much better sound [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]
Cornford RK100
Victory V30
Yamaha THR10