So Guess "Who" I Just Saw...

Moderators: jim renolds, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

jim renolds
World Tour

So Guess "Who" I Just Saw...

Post by jim renolds » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:56 am

Yep, just saw The Who live, and didn't even know I was going. They just happened to be playing the Jazz Festival in New Orleans, and we just happened to be there meeting friends, who just happened to have extra tickets and insisted we go. It rained all weekend, so picture a Woodstock kind of pig-pen mess. People were packed in like sardines in ankle-deep mud and of course, since I didn't know I was going, I wasn't dressed appropriately or have proper footwear for the prevailing conditions. Nevertheless, I still got to a place where I could see and hear, and watched them for a while. Only Roger and Pete remain from the original lineup. I'm pretty sure I recognized Pino Palladino filling in the gaping hole left by the passing of John Entwhistle. I recognized the keyboard player as the band leader from a couple of music-based TV reality shows (like Rock Star), but I don't remember his name. The rest I couldn't see well enough to know if I could recognize. Anyway, the sound was great, the band was great, and I was quite impressed by how well Roger and Pete can still crank it out. I was never really a big Who fan, but I must admit, I'm quite glad I can say I got a chance to see them.

DH
JVM 410H w/Mods: 1µF Plexi Cap, 3H Mojotone Choke, Neg. Feedback Adj. Pot.(500K)

ALrock
Club Circuit

Re: So Guess "Who" I Just Saw...

Post by ALrock » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:10 am

Right on man!!...
JVM 410H...No mods..none needed, perfect like it is :)
1960A LEAD CAB (Stock)
IBANEZ RG920 PREMIUM
ISP G STRING NOISE GATE
TC ELECTRONIC DELAY
MXR 10 BAND EQ
IBANEZ CF7 CHORUS - FLANGER
MORLEY STEVE VAI BAD HORSIE 2 CONTOUR WAH PEDAL

jeffp
Private Parties

Post by jeffp » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:29 pm

Great! I saw Gov't Mule Friday night. Talked to a guy next to us who was going to see the Who. I was not a big fan either but I had a friend who loved them.Those guys made history too! It rained big time Friday afternoon, looked really bad Sat morning as we left for home.
Jvm210H w/Fender 212/Rockcrusher attenuator
LP Std w/Burstbuckers,SG61RI w/57's,EC strat w/Vintage N,2 Fen Am std strats w/Lace Gold/Hot Gold,Ovation LX
FX/In front StdClyde wah,Mdv3 vibe,Maxon comp,RTO,OCD,Maxon 820 over drives,ISP Decimator
Fx/InloopChroma chorus & Replica delay/mixer,Roomate jr. Rev, Microamp
GCPro midi,GCX loop switcher,Pitchblack tuner,Furman power
Fender Vibroking,Fender 212B Vk ext.cab w/EminenceV12's

Surfcaster
World Tour

Post by Surfcaster » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:13 pm

So cool, DH! I'm envious...not only of seeing The Who, but also just being at Jazz Fest! My sister-in-law used to live in LA years ago, long before I met my wife. And she started going to Jazz Fest and eventually my wife started joining her. But since we've been married we've never been. Though we did attend The French Quarter Festival several years ago, which was great fun.

I wasn't much of a fan of The Who growing up, but in my late 20s took an appreciation for them. Still not a raving fan, but do enjoy them and would love to see them live sometime!
AMPS
Marshall JVM 205H w/mods - Negative Feedback knob - 3H Mojotone Choke - Mid Shift switch - R72 Compression Mod <> JCM SE head(Home brew, single-ended, EL-34 powered, with JCM800 preamp) <> Prolux 112 (Fender Princeton-based home brew 1x12 combo)
CABS
Home-built 2x12 w/ G12M Greenbacks <> Home-built 1x12 w/WGS Green Beret
GUITARS
2010 G&L USA Legacy HB <> 2015 Gibson Les Paul Less Plus <> 1998 G&L USA Legacy with DiMarzio Area '58 and Area '61 pickups <> 2001 Taylor 414CE

jim renolds
World Tour

Post by jim renolds » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:35 am

Jeff - saw your post about Govt Mule earlier, but didn't catch that it was in NOLA. Cool! They're a little more my speed than The Who, but...like Surf said, The Who is like watching living History, so I'm really glad I got to see them one time. They really sounded great. The venue, however, was a pigpen. You know those old films of the mud and slop at Woodstock...well this was almost like that. It rained all afternoon, hard! Fortunately it quit by the time they went on, so we didn't get wet, but the damage was done and it was sure a slop fest!

Anyway, sorry I missed where you were - might have been cool to meet somewhere in the Quarter and talk guitars and Marshalls over a beer.

DH
JVM 410H w/Mods: 1µF Plexi Cap, 3H Mojotone Choke, Neg. Feedback Adj. Pot.(500K)

jeffp
Private Parties

Post by jeffp » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:12 am

Yes it would! Maybe we'll get another chance to do that sometime.
About the jazz fest ,I'm sure it was a mud hole. And that's just NOT fun! I regret missing Robert Cray more than anything, but not the rain and mud.
Anyway Gov't Mule was just awesome! The timing was so tight! These guys put everything into it! The entire floor was up and into the groove! This was all night till 1:30AM! I haven't seen a big show play for that long in ages! It was really good!
LP Std w/Burstbuckers,SG61RI w/57's,EC strat w/Vintage N,2 Fen Am std strats w/Lace Gold/Hot Gold,Ovation LX
FX/In front StdClyde wah,Mdv3 vibe,Maxon comp,RTO,OCD,Maxon 820 over drives,ISP Decimator

atarilovesyou
Private Parties

Post by atarilovesyou » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:21 am

I'd love to see them...although these farewell tours are getting old, aren't they? :D So many anthems, what great albums. I'm not the biggest fan but the albums that I own, Tommy and Who's Next? Masterpieces. I'll take The Who over many, many other bands from that era.

jim renolds
World Tour

Post by jim renolds » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:46 pm

Yeah, I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I totally forgot Robert Cray was playing at the same time as The Who. I'm a big fan of RC, and would love to see him live (never have). Unfortunately, between the two I'd have still chosen The Who because of the possibility of seeing RC in the future some time, but probably won't get another chance to see The Who. However, if I had just remembered RC was there at the same time, I would at least had to have stuck my head in the Blues Tent for a little while. It would have been a lot cleaner in there too, because it was inside a big tent instead of out in the open, so much drier I'm sure. It wasn't until we were on the way home that I realized RC was playing at the time we were there.
D'OH!!! [smiley-facepalm]

DH

jeffp
Private Parties

Post by jeffp » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:19 am

My buddy and his wife loved the Who. I just never did catch on I guess. But different strokes ?
Well I missed it (RC)but I'll catch him somewhere down the road. He's on my bucket list! Along with the Warren Haynes Band. I want to see him in a Blue's atmosphere too!