Having trouble controling od reds? No gate? read this...

Your one-stop shop for troubleshooting noise, hiss and related issues with this High-Gain Monster!

Moderators: Dark Horse, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

Dark Horse
World Tour

Re: Having trouble controling od reds? No gate? read this...

Post by Dark Horse » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:36 am

gibsonguitarguy2 wrote:Yup, I should try it without the Gsystem and see if the amp is okay on its own
I'll report back. This just occurred to me. I thought everybody had this problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Definitely NOT. You have a problem in your set-up somewhere, most likely.
You have the right idea now - unplug everything except guitar straight into amp with one cable, and nothing in the loop. Report back.

DH
JVM 410H w/Mods: 1µF Plexi Cap, 3H Mojotone Choke, Neg. Feedback Adj. Pot.(500K)

Tonemeister
World Tour

Post by Tonemeister » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:55 pm

Dark Horse wrote:
gibsonguitarguy2 wrote:Yup, I should try it without the Gsystem and see if the amp is okay on its own
I'll report back. This just occurred to me. I thought everybody had this problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Definitely NOT. You have a problem in your set-up somewhere, most likely.
You have the right idea now - unplug everything except guitar straight into amp with one cable, and nothing in the loop. Report back.

DH
I don't think I need to mention this but I will anyways... DH is right, this is NOT a normal squeal. The amp will squeal like crazy at band volumes on OD Orange and Red if you let it but if you dial back the guitar volume that'll stop too.
- Marshall JVM410H: Negative Feedback Mod (33k-500k, linear), Compression Mod, One-Wire Cascade Mod, OD2-to-OD1 Mod, P.I. Boost Mod (with 33k in R52), Plexi Cap Mod (1uF), Modified C83 Mod (1- OFF, 2- 0.68uF, 3- 1.0uF, 4- 1.5uF, 5- 2.2uF, 6- 3.2uF), Gain Reduction Mod, Blackface Mod, Mesa Rectifier Mod, 50W (two tubes: 37.5mV), LED Footswitch Mod
- Laney AOR ProTube 3012 Combo: stock
- 2x Marshall 1960B 4xG12T-75
- 2x Dean DIME (FBD, Stealth #29/50), ESP LTD MH-250HT, Fender MIM Strat
- TC Electronic PolyTune, ISP Decimator G-String, Morley Mark Tremonti Power Wah, Ibanez TS9, MXR EVH Phase 90, TC Flashback X4, TC Hall Of Fame

link to my old band "Systatic" (Line6 Vetta II days) http://www.systatic.ca

Jazzmanmike
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Jazzmanmike » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:49 am

hi everybody,i use a pedal board in front of my amp and part of my pedals are a jackhammer and a boss noise gate which works fine with my jack hammer.Can't use my 2 hi gain channels on red as they both squeal like little piggies past 3 on the gain knobs.I can't tame this beast and have given ,therefore the jackhammer.Brought this amp pacifically to use the gain on red channels so i'm little frustrated and any help to tame this wild beast would be appreciated.mike.

ALrock
Club Circuit

Post by ALrock » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:48 pm

I`m not at all familiar with the boss noise gate..
but just to help get the ball rolling, can you post your pedal chain? what is where?

have you tried disconnecting EVERYTHING except the gate and guitar and tried it?

with a properly working gate, these beast can be tamed, very well i might add..
JVM 410H...No mods..none needed, perfect like it is :)
1960A LEAD CAB (Stock)
IBANEZ RG920 PREMIUM
ISP G STRING NOISE GATE
TC ELECTRONIC DELAY
MXR 10 BAND EQ
IBANEZ CF7 CHORUS - FLANGER
MORLEY STEVE VAI BAD HORSIE 2 CONTOUR WAH PEDAL

Tonemeister
World Tour

Post by Tonemeister » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:29 pm

ALrock wrote:... can you post your pedal chain? what is where?...
+1

I used to use the BOSS NS-2 noise suppressor with great success. I have since upgraded to an ISP Decimator G-String.

How are you using the Noise gate? how is it connected? If you are connecting it in the 4CM then it should tame the amp perfectly well.

Here is a link to how I used to have my NS-2 connected.

Here is another link on how it should be set up for it to properly work.
- Marshall JVM410H: Negative Feedback Mod (33k-500k, linear), Compression Mod, One-Wire Cascade Mod, OD2-to-OD1 Mod, P.I. Boost Mod (with 33k in R52), Plexi Cap Mod (1uF), Modified C83 Mod (1- OFF, 2- 0.68uF, 3- 1.0uF, 4- 1.5uF, 5- 2.2uF, 6- 3.2uF), Gain Reduction Mod, Blackface Mod, Mesa Rectifier Mod, 50W (two tubes: 37.5mV), LED Footswitch Mod
- Laney AOR ProTube 3012 Combo: stock
- 2x Marshall 1960B 4xG12T-75
- 2x Dean DIME (FBD, Stealth #29/50), ESP LTD MH-250HT, Fender MIM Strat
- TC Electronic PolyTune, ISP Decimator G-String, Morley Mark Tremonti Power Wah, Ibanez TS9, MXR EVH Phase 90, TC Flashback X4, TC Hall Of Fame

link to my old band "Systatic" (Line6 Vetta II days) http://www.systatic.ca

nmagha
Beginner
Beginner

Post by nmagha » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:26 pm

Nearly a year with my JVM... early on, I was overwhelmed by the OD1/2 noise and got the TC Sentry Noise Gate with X-wiring config. The noisy squeal has been controlled... never been very happy about the situation. Finally have a relatively isolated man cave and have been able to play around with it more. Decided to take it to practice without the noise gate and decided to keep playing around with the gain settings as suggested here.

Todd is absolutely right. The beast can be tamed without being muzzled and suffocated by a noise gate. I was very pleasantly surprised and happy with my tone, sustain and lack of noise. It just requires turning down the volume pot on the guitar from 10 to 8. I'll be working on my more noisy highout PUPs with the surgical tubing.

Thanks to this thread, I'm a much happier man!