JVM 410H Hum at bars & venues....

Your one-stop shop for troubleshooting noise, hiss and related issues with this High-Gain Monster!

Moderators: jim renolds, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

corvairdoug
Pub Band

JVM 410H Hum at bars & venues....

Post by corvairdoug » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:17 pm

Hey gang, I've got a problem with some really annoying hum. I'm using a 410H, and the higher I go in gain, the worse this hum gets. It got really apparent the other night at a gig, we plugged in and turned on a fog machine, about 10 feet from the amp, and the hum got much worse.
It doesn't do it at home, or some venues, but is really bad at others that we've played. Nothing fixed it; different guitar, thru the pedalboard, straight to the amp minus pedalboard, effects loop, no effects loop; no fix for it except to use less gain.
I currently plug into a Furman M8x2. The sound man on staff the other night suggested a Hum-Ex, and I'm wondering if any of you use one with any success. Or, if there is a better fix.
thanks!
78 LP Deluxe Goldtop; 79 Strat; 98 Korina Epi Explorer; 11 EPi LP; late 80's Seagull 12; JVM 410H with Choke mod & Anti Stiffness mod; Home built cab w G12T-75s & Vintage 30s

Greg_L
Club Circuit

Re: JVM 410H Hum at bars & venues....

Post by Greg_L » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:01 am

corvairdoug wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:17 pm
Hey gang, I've got a problem with some really annoying hum. I'm using a 410H, and the higher I go in gain, the worse this hum gets. It got really apparent the other night at a gig, we plugged in and turned on a fog machine, about 10 feet from the amp, and the hum got much worse.
It doesn't do it at home, or some venues, but is really bad at others that we've played. Nothing fixed it; different guitar, thru the pedalboard, straight to the amp minus pedalboard, effects loop, no effects loop; no fix for it except to use less gain.
I currently plug into a Furman M8x2. The sound man on staff the other night suggested a Hum-Ex, and I'm wondering if any of you use one with any success. Or, if there is a better fix.
thanks!
I think it's the places you play. Venues can often have shoddy power and power strips linked together and bad grounds. So many things can induce noise on a stage - especially in a high gain amp like the JVM. Best thing you can do is make sure your own grounding is good - no ground loops.
My gear list? Do a search.