HELP!! ISP Decimator G string in fx loop kills my volume!!!

Your one-stop shop for troubleshooting noise, hiss and related issues with this High-Gain Monster!

Moderators: Dark Horse, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

Rick O'Shea
Club Circuit

Re: HELP!! ISP Decimator G string in fx loop kills my volume!!!

Post by Rick O'Shea » Mon May 11, 2009 11:20 pm

Although the decimator works very erratically and is not transparent when set up without tracking, there is no loss in volume associated with the pedal. All I get is the slight volume loss associated with using the series/parallel loop at 100% wet (see the link in my first post on this thread). I even compared the level to a 1' patch cord alone in the loop to be sure.
Rick O'Shea
JVM410H EH12AT7 in V1
Diamond Halo Chorus, MXR CAE Wah, Decimator G-String
JCM900 1936 w/stock G12T75s
SG '61 Reissue, '83 B.C. Rich Eagle REG-2

luca9583
Private Parties

Re: HELP!! ISP Decimator G string in fx loop kills my volume!!!

Post by luca9583 » Mon May 11, 2009 11:23 pm

Maybe i'm experiencing more volume loss because i run my OD Channel Master on full with the master volume on just over half

Jrhep
Beginner
Beginner

Re: HELP!! ISP Decimator G string in fx loop kills my volume

Post by Jrhep » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:39 pm

I am running what I think is the "standard setup". Guitar input -> Wah -> Flanger -> Phaser -> Decimator Gtr In...Decimator Gtr out to JVM. In the loop I was routing my TCE Nova repeater into the Send TCE Nova out to DEC IN -> DEC out to JVM EFM Return.

I tried routing it with all modulation pedals in the loop (with Decimator last) but that seemed to really kill the effects output and intensity. That is why I have gone back to running most everything in front of the Gtr Input on the Decimator.

In neither situation am I thrilled. It seems with out having those pedals in the loop I am getting more hiss noise that I have to clamp down too hard with the gate to really make it usable.

I am just curious after reading the original post if you all might be able to pick up on something I am doing wrong, or that could be set up better.

JRH

Jrhep
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Jrhep » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:40 pm

Just bumping this again to see if anyone has any advice or ideas regarding my situation.

jimsreynolds
World Tour

Post by jimsreynolds » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:23 pm

I think you need to hook up as

Guitar --> GString Guitar In
GString Guitar Out --> (Other pedals before amp)
(Other pedals before amp) --> Amp Input
Amp FX Loop Send --> Dec In
Dec Out --> (Other Pedals in Loop)
(Other Pedals in Loop) --> Amp FX Loop Return

This will track the guitar more accurately at the input and will apply the gate in the FX Loop. Having the 'Dec' part of the decimator in the loop kills the pre-amp hiss on the high gain channels. AFAIK this the recommended hookup for a high gain amp like a JVM.

If you really don't want anything in the loop and can live with the high gain hiss then try:

Guitar --> GString Guitar In
GString Guitar Out --> (Other pedals before amp)
(Other pedals before amp) --> Dec In
Dec Out --> Amp Input

The main thing is to get the Gstring 'guitar' section in first so it tracks the actual guitar signal rather than whatever comes out of the other 'up front' pedal. The 'guitar' section only monitors and does not actually gate anything. The gate is applied by the 'Dec' section.

Make sense?

Jrhep
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Jrhep » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:10 am

Definitely makes sense. I will try routing it that way and see if that is the trick.

Thanks
JRH

Jrhep
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Jrhep » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:52 pm

That was the ticket. Seems to be working well now. The only thing that I can say now is that the MXR EVH Flanger is a tone sucker to some degree, but the rest of my rig is sounding amazing now.

Thanks for the help and advice--always appreciated!

[smilie=gt-happyup.gif]