Squeal/Epiphone Les Paul

Your one-stop shop for troubleshooting noise, hiss and related issues with this High-Gain Monster!

Moderators: Dark Horse, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

corvairdoug
Pub Band

Squeal/Epiphone Les Paul

Post by corvairdoug » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:14 pm

I have a 410H, and I posted here a while back. On OD 1 or 2 the amp squeals like hell with any gain over about 10 or 11 o' clock.I tried a couple other guitars, and the problem goes away.
So, I'm looking for suggestions on how to take care of the Epi LP problem.
If it's pickups, what am I looking for; high output,low output or ???
Thanks!
78 LP Deluxe Goldtop; 79 Strat; 98 Korina Epi Explorer; 11 EPi LP; late 80's Seagull 12; JVM 410H with Choke mod & Anti Stiffness mod; Home built cab w G12T-75s & Vintage 30s

Jackie
World Tour

Re: Squeal/Epiphone Les Paul

Post by Jackie » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:54 pm

Or, if they aren't already, wax pot those pickups, my friend [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]

[smiley-search] around and see what you can find (lots of techniques of doing this) but I did it like this:

- take PUs out and remove covers
- take big glass jar, wash it, dry it, take a cooking pot, put the pickle jar in, fill pot with water and heat. This might take a long time but you're making a hot bath that makes controlling heat much easier
- 80% paraffin and 20% beeswax is a common formula for the wax mix
- throw the wax in the jar and melt the wax: DON'T heat it up excessively, just get it to liquidize
- use some rope to tie the pickup wire to a wooden spoon and put it across the mouth of a jar; that way you can remove the PU easily and it will be submerged in the wax
- observe the PU, there should be air bubbles coming out. Leave it in for about 10-15 mins, when bubbles no longer come up regularly (like 1 bubble per second or so), take it out
- use dry cloth to wipe off excess wax (when potting just the PU w/o covers, the top plate will do the rest is in the guitar anyway)

If you have pickup covers, double wax pot - pot the pickup itself, then put the covers on and pot again.
Tonemeister wrote:there is sooo much that the JVM can be...
GUITARS:
Modded Epiphone Goth Explorer w/BKP Nailbombs; Jackson KVMG Pro; Yamaha SG2000; Gibson SG '61 Reissue; Squier Classic Vibe Tele; Yamaha LLX6A
AMPS&CABS:
Marshall JVM410H (EH V1/V5; Chinese 12AX7B V2-V4; -ve fdbk mod, choke mod, plexi cap mod)
VHT Sig:X; Marshall 1960A cab w/V30; Yamaha THR10v2
FX:
BOSS GT-6, Keeley-modded Dunlop Crybaby Wah
MISC:
Proel Esoteric cables, Ernie Ball strings; Dunlop Ultex Sharp picks, craft beer

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:29 pm

I got a jam-making thermometer and made sure not to get the whole lot too hot - 140 degrees, if it gets too hot the enamel on the windings cooks and you get short circuits , i.e. trashed pickup [smiley-surprised]
|----- if this forum helped you, pls donate to keep it alive -----|
::: JVM410 head,modded:- Hammond 5H choke, 2 tubes pulled, 37.5mv bias :: Caseys Mods :- Plexi cap, -ve feedback, Dual Rectifier, Blackface, 1 wire Randy Rhoads, Plexi, Metaled Out ModPI Boost, OD Channel Gain Reduction Mod
::: AFD100, DSL100W head (no C83), Fender Champ 12
::: 1960AV 2xgreenbacks 2xG12H30, homemade 2x12 cab 2x Celestion Golds (100W)
::: Gibson Les Paul Standard, Dimarzio SD bridge Pup,Standard neck Pup.
::: Tokai Strat with Dimarzio SD, Epi SG-400 Iommi, Hondo Les Paul, Alhambra Acoustic fishman Pup
::: PodXTLive, Vox V848 Clyde McCoy Wah Wah,

It's better to fail in Originality than to succeed in Imitation ...

Jackie
World Tour

Post by Jackie » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:07 pm

Yeah any kind of thermometer helps.

Wax has a melting point, around 60°C/140F for beeswax and 40°C/104F for paraffin. So boiling water around a jar makes sense because I measured 80° max which is more than enough [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]
Tonemeister wrote:there is sooo much that the JVM can be...
GUITARS:
Modded Epiphone Goth Explorer w/BKP Nailbombs; Jackson KVMG Pro; Yamaha SG2000; Gibson SG '61 Reissue; Squier Classic Vibe Tele; Yamaha LLX6A
AMPS&CABS:
Marshall JVM410H (EH V1/V5; Chinese 12AX7B V2-V4; -ve fdbk mod, choke mod, plexi cap mod)
VHT Sig:X; Marshall 1960A cab w/V30; Yamaha THR10v2
FX:
BOSS GT-6, Keeley-modded Dunlop Crybaby Wah
MISC:
Proel Esoteric cables, Ernie Ball strings; Dunlop Ultex Sharp picks, craft beer