Crackle while sustaining notes

Your one-stop shop for troubleshooting noise, hiss and related issues with this High-Gain Monster!

Moderators: Dark Horse, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

Jackie
World Tour

Crackle while sustaining notes

Post by Jackie » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:51 pm

I'm getting this kind of tiny crackle in the background. Naturally it's not audible when playing anything crunchy but it's even there when I play Clean Green. It's kind of like the noise a bad jack input makes if you wiggle the plugged in cable. If I play a chord/note/whatever and sustain it, or basically do anything but mute the strings completely, it keeps on cracking.

In the studio, my amp was flat out MV=10 for like half an hour on OD1 Red for recording leads. I also cranked it to 10 recently for about 15 minutes to break in a V30 I bought for my 2x12. Any chance I overdid it? Could the powertubes be waving goodbye?

As a side note, truth be told I haven't played my JVM in a while so this might be completely normal.
Tonemeister wrote:there is sooo much that the JVM can be...
GUITARS:
Modded Epiphone Goth Explorer w/BKP Nailbombs; Jackson KVMG Pro; Yamaha SG2000; Gibson SG '61 Reissue; Squier Classic Vibe Tele; Yamaha LLX6A
AMPS&CABS:
Marshall JVM410H (EH V1/V5; Chinese 12AX7B V2-V4; -ve fdbk mod, choke mod, plexi cap mod)
VHT Sig:X; Marshall 1960A cab w/V30; Yamaha THR10v2
FX:
BOSS GT-6, Keeley-modded Dunlop Crybaby Wah
MISC:
Proel Esoteric cables, Ernie Ball strings; Dunlop Ultex Sharp picks, craft beer

jimsreynolds
World Tour

Re: Crackle while sustaining notes

Post by jimsreynolds » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:55 am

Are you getting it with any cab you plug into Jackie?

I guess some pre-amp tube swapping tests would do no harm at this stage just in case one of the little bottles has had enough. Do you have access to another set of EL34s you can test with also?
JimBOB

-------------------------------------------
Amps:

Guitars:
  • 70s hard-tail Strat with EMG 89/SA actives. Gibson "The Paul" with bridge P-Rails, Triple-shot, Roland GK-3 and Torres Tone Mods. Gretsch 6119 Tennessee Rose. PRS SE Semi-Hollow w/Bigsby, Squier Affinity Tele (Modded), Falk "Splitter", Taylor T5, Ibanez RG2610E
    Taylor DN3 Acoustic w/Rare Earth Blend, Ovation Celebrity 6/12 Acoustic, Martin 000X1AE, Rally Resonator, Stretton Payne 12-string.
FX:
  • Joyos galore! T-Rex Moller, TC Flashback X4, MXR '78 Distortion, Crybaby, Line 6 HD500 - 4CM & MIDI switching, (retired), Boss GT8 (retired)

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:43 pm

Could it be the input jack ?

or valves that need re-seating

re-arrange valves

electric supply (swap)

cables (swap)

guitar (swap)

or it's just pissed off with you for having no attention (dust everywhere)

Good luck
|----- if this forum helped you, pls donate to keep it alive -----|
::: JVM410 head,modded:- Hammond 5H choke, 2 tubes pulled, 37.5mv bias :: Caseys Mods :- Plexi cap, -ve feedback, Dual Rectifier, Blackface, 1 wire Randy Rhoads, Plexi, Metaled Out ModPI Boost, OD Channel Gain Reduction Mod
::: AFD100, DSL100W head (no C83), Fender Champ 12
::: 1960AV 2xgreenbacks 2xG12H30, homemade 2x12 cab 2x Celestion Golds (100W)
::: Gibson Les Paul Standard, Dimarzio SD bridge Pup,Standard neck Pup.
::: Tokai Strat with Dimarzio SD, Epi SG-400 Iommi, Hondo Les Paul, Alhambra Acoustic fishman Pup
::: PodXTLive, Vox V848 Clyde McCoy Wah Wah,

It's better to fail in Originality than to succeed in Imitation ...

Jackie
World Tour

Post by Jackie » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:26 pm

Thanks guys.

Yeah I've done the usual
Andy wrote:electric supply (swap)

cables (swap)

guitar (swap)
except preamp tubes (didn't have the time to since I noticed it like 15mins before I had to catch a train).

Sadly I have no spare EL34s... I have a heap of 12AX7s though so I'll do that.

Haha lack of attention syndrome that's a good one. BTW I remember going :yikes: after plugging into the JVM after a long time without it... I was very used to the refined, slightly bassy, fat Mesa tone so imagine my face when I got a handful of RIPPIN, mid-throaty, clear as FUCK Marshall goodness hurled at me. Ah, the good days [smiley_twisted]

I primarily wanted to determine if this crackle is somewhat normal. It's not like it's very prominent or anything but I can't remember it being there nonetheless. I'll try teh tubez and see what happens.
GUITARS:
Modded Epiphone Goth Explorer w/BKP Nailbombs; Jackson KVMG Pro; Yamaha SG2000; Gibson SG '61 Reissue; Squier Classic Vibe Tele; Yamaha LLX6A
AMPS&CABS:
Marshall JVM410H (EH V1/V5; Chinese 12AX7B V2-V4; -ve fdbk mod, choke mod, plexi cap mod)
FX:
MISC:

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:11 pm

You can take 2 power tubez out and try it, then try the other 2 , its likely to be only 1 tube If it's that.
mark which is which if you can't be bothered to bias. Having said that it seems that bias resistors fail
quite a bit so maybe one is going bad and giving you crackles.

Also see if it crackles with just a signal into the power amp (ie not preamp crackle)
::: JVM410 head,modded:- Hammond 5H choke, 2 tubes pulled, 37.5mv bias :: Caseys Mods :- Plexi cap, -ve feedback, Dual Rectifier, Blackface, 1 wire Randy Rhoads, Plexi, Metaled Out ModPI Boost, OD Channel Gain Reduction Mod
::: Tokai Strat with Dimarzio SD, Epi SG-400 Iommi, Hondo Les Paul, Alhambra Acoustic fishman Pup

Jackie
World Tour

Post by Jackie » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:55 pm

Did all the tests

1) Guitar>GT-6 in>GT-6 out>JVM poweramp in>cab = no crackle (YAY!!! Not powertubes and not V5)
2) Guitar>JVM in>Emulated Out>active PA speaker in= no crackle (??)
3) Guitar>JVM in>JVM preamp send>active PA speaker in= crackle, and VERY exaggerated by the PA speaker's full range driver.

So apparently it's one of the preamp tubes. Did the pencil tap and they are fine microphonically. I can't diagnose them 1 by 1 now because the missus is here and she's already giving me cross looks for spending our weekend time screwing with my amp icon_smile

One thing puzzles me a bit. How come there was no crackle with the Emulated out? I consulted the block diagram found in the manual and there is no element that would suggest where it comes in. If I understand correctly the Emulated out is the preamp signal... so how come it didn't crackle when I used it?
GUITARS:
AMPS&CABS:
FX:
MISC:

Jackie
World Tour

Post by Jackie » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:30 pm

Occam's razor strikes again.

OMG. After swapping around I found out that it was actually the cable. I thought it was mine but my bandmate and I swapped cables to see if his was faulty (yes it FUCKING is!!!). My pops didn't know it was mine so he slapped red tape on it as if it were mine (the red tape in our house also means "cable is fully OK").

So glad everything is fine and I feel like a
GUITARS:
AMPS&CABS:
FX:
MISC:

Dark Horse
World Tour

Post by Dark Horse » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:34 pm

Shouldn't that caption read, "Jeen-yus"?

DH
JVM 410H w/Mods: 1µF Plexi Cap, 3H Mojotone Choke, Neg. Feedback Adj. Pot.(500K)

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:16 pm

Well there you go, you left the JVM all unloved and then blamed it on having a fault [smilie=icon_eek.gif]

Hope you treat your GF better [smilie=icon_lol.gif]

Remember that old thread The Troubleshooting Guide ?

Jackie
World Tour

Post by Jackie » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:54 pm

DH - hehe I've thought about it though to me it looks more effective spelled right [smilie=icon_mrgreen.gif]

Andy - oh god that made me fall off my chair [smilie=icon_lol.gif] I checked the good ol' troubleshooter and while there were similar problems, it was always tubes. I'll post there.
GUITARS:
AMPS&CABS:
FX:
MISC: