MY NS-2 HAS A HUM LOUDER THAN THE AMP!?

Your one-stop shop for troubleshooting noise, hiss and related issues with this High-Gain Monster!

Moderators: Dark Horse, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

clutchkman
Beginner
Beginner

MY NS-2 HAS A HUM LOUDER THAN THE AMP!?

Post by clutchkman » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:09 pm

I have a JVM205C, Boss tuner, a tube screamer, and a wah, but the gate itself has a hum, it's actually louder than the amp noise! I've never had a noisegate, or used the fx loop, so it's all new to me. It's cancelling out noise, but gives me a definite hum (only when turned on.) Right now I'm not using the fx loop, it's at the end of everything coming out of the front of the amp. Is mine defective or just hooked up wrong?

Tonemeister
World Tour

Re: MY NS-2 HAS A HUM LOUDER THAN THE AMP!?

Post by Tonemeister » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:09 pm

is it battery operated or are you using an AC Adapter to power the noise gate... could be related to that.

if you are using batteries change them to see what happens.

A hum implies some kind of grounding issue to me... If you are using an AC Adapter confirm that you are using the correct adapter (some adapters have the Positive and Negative conducters reversed) and/or try a different one to see if that makes a difference ...

also remove one item at a time from your signal chain (exept the Noise gate) to see if the hum is a result of some kind of ground loop
- Marshall JVM410H: Negative Feedback Mod (33k-500k, linear), Compression Mod, One-Wire Cascade Mod, OD2-to-OD1 Mod, P.I. Boost Mod (with 33k in R52), Plexi Cap Mod (1uF), Modified C83 Mod (1- OFF, 2- 0.68uF, 3- 1.0uF, 4- 1.5uF, 5- 2.2uF, 6- 3.2uF), Gain Reduction Mod, Blackface Mod, Mesa Rectifier Mod, 50W (two tubes: 37.5mV), LED Footswitch Mod
- Laney AOR ProTube 3012 Combo: stock
- 2x Marshall 1960B 4xG12T-75
- 2x Dean DIME (FBD, Stealth #29/50), ESP LTD MH-250HT, Fender MIM Strat
- TC Electronic PolyTune, ISP Decimator G-String, Morley Mark Tremonti Power Wah, Ibanez TS9, MXR EVH Phase 90, TC Flashback X4, TC Hall Of Fame

link to my old band "Systatic" (Line6 Vetta II days) http://www.systatic.ca

clutchkman
Beginner
Beginner

Post by clutchkman » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:05 pm

I'm using an adaptor with a pedal board, but I'm gonna try a 9volt. Yea, I've tried only using the ns-2 and the hum is still there, and i'v tried sitching out my cables. Thanks for the ideas.

jimsreynolds
World Tour

Post by jimsreynolds » Wed May 01, 2013 12:08 am

+1 on ground loop. On my phone right now so cannot search but you might look for my posts on transformers and/or ground lift cables. I don't think you even need a power supply to suffer this problem. I suspect there is a voltage difference between the input ground and loop ground and that would be enough. I need to test.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2
JimBOB

-------------------------------------------
Amps:

Guitars:
  • 70s hard-tail Strat with EMG 89/SA actives. Gibson "The Paul" with bridge P-Rails, Triple-shot, Roland GK-3 and Torres Tone Mods. Gretsch 6119 Tennessee Rose. PRS SE Semi-Hollow w/Bigsby, Squier Affinity Tele (Modded), Falk "Splitter", Taylor T5, Ibanez RG2610E
    Taylor DN3 Acoustic w/Rare Earth Blend, Ovation Celebrity 6/12 Acoustic, Martin 000X1AE, Rally Resonator, Stretton Payne 12-string.
FX:
  • Joyos galore! T-Rex Moller, TC Flashback X4, MXR '78 Distortion, Crybaby, Line 6 HD500 - 4CM & MIDI switching, (retired), Boss GT8 (retired)

clutchkman
Beginner
Beginner

Post by clutchkman » Wed May 01, 2013 2:31 pm

Once again you guy's nailed it. It has something to do with the adaptor/pedal board, because when I tried it with a battery it worked perfectly! Strange that it rears it's ugly head with a noise supressor, but not so much with the tube screamer and wah. Which raises another problem: how to fix it so I can use all my pedals together? When I put the battery powered gate with the chain of adaptor powered pedals, the hum is right back on the noise supressor. Since I don't want to buy a bunch of 9volts all the time, I want to run it all on a pedal board, should I first try replacing the adaptor with a new adaptor, or replace the entire pedal board? It is very old, a guy gave it to me years ago, and he's had it since the 80's I think he said. Thanks again, this is by far the most helpful forum I've ever been on! You guys are like Columbo!

Tonemeister
World Tour

Post by Tonemeister » Wed May 01, 2013 3:33 pm

based on what you just said:

One question... considering that the board is very old. Is it made out of any type of metal/aluminium??? maybe you are getting ground loops from the housing of your pedals through the board??? If it is made out of metal/aluminium see what happens if you set all the pedals on cardboard or carpet

1) if that doesn't fix it... my guess is that the board has a bad ground. If you know how to solder (or know someone who does) I would touch-up and re-solder everything on the board.

2) if that doesn't fix it... check the patch cables on the board (move them around, continuity test). If possible and/or necessary, open up the connectors and re-solder them.

3) if that doesn't fix it... change the AC Adapter. Keep in mind ground loops are tricky and deceiving. Chances are that even though you see the problem when using the Noise Gate it could still be an adapter from another pedal instead that completes the loop trought the noise gate somehow... so check all Adapters for correct polarity (with your pedal... as I mentioned earlier some pedals reverse to polarity on their Adapters so that you have to buy their adapter only)

4) if that still hasn't fixed it... unfortunatly it may time for a new board or there may be a defect in your pedal (if it has warranty, take it back and get a replacement)
- Marshall JVM410H: Negative Feedback Mod (33k-500k, linear), Compression Mod, One-Wire Cascade Mod, OD2-to-OD1 Mod, P.I. Boost Mod (with 33k in R52), Plexi Cap Mod (1uF), Modified C83 Mod (1- OFF, 2- 0.68uF, 3- 1.0uF, 4- 1.5uF, 5- 2.2uF, 6- 3.2uF), Gain Reduction Mod, Blackface Mod, Mesa Rectifier Mod, 50W (two tubes: 37.5mV), LED Footswitch Mod
- Laney AOR ProTube 3012 Combo: stock
- 2x Marshall 1960B 4xG12T-75
- 2x Dean DIME (FBD, Stealth #29/50), ESP LTD MH-250HT, Fender MIM Strat
- TC Electronic PolyTune, ISP Decimator G-String, Morley Mark Tremonti Power Wah, Ibanez TS9, MXR EVH Phase 90, TC Flashback X4, TC Hall Of Fame

link to my old band "Systatic" (Line6 Vetta II days) http://www.systatic.ca

jimsreynolds
World Tour

Post by jimsreynolds » Wed May 01, 2013 4:13 pm

Actually should have read this post more clearly. Assumed that clutchkman was using the X-Method to hookup the NS-2 but he isn't. Ignore everything I suggested and go with Tonemeister. [smilie=icon_redface.gif]
JimBOB

-------------------------------------------
Amps:

Guitars:
  • 70s hard-tail Strat with EMG 89/SA actives. Gibson "The Paul" with bridge P-Rails, Triple-shot, Roland GK-3 and Torres Tone Mods. Gretsch 6119 Tennessee Rose. PRS SE Semi-Hollow w/Bigsby, Squier Affinity Tele (Modded), Falk "Splitter", Taylor T5, Ibanez RG2610E
    Taylor DN3 Acoustic w/Rare Earth Blend, Ovation Celebrity 6/12 Acoustic, Martin 000X1AE, Rally Resonator, Stretton Payne 12-string.
FX:
  • Joyos galore! T-Rex Moller, TC Flashback X4, MXR '78 Distortion, Crybaby, Line 6 HD500 - 4CM & MIDI switching, (retired), Boss GT8 (retired)

Evilriffz
Private Parties

Post by Evilriffz » Wed May 01, 2013 5:56 pm

clutchkman wrote:Once again you guy's nailed it. It has something to do with the adaptor/pedal board, because when I tried it with a battery it worked perfectly! Strange that it rears it's ugly head with a noise supressor, but not so much with the tube screamer and wah. Which raises another problem: how to fix it so I can use all my pedals together? When I put the battery powered gate with the chain of adaptor powered pedals, the hum is right back on the noise supressor. Since I don't want to buy a bunch of 9volts all the time, I want to run it all on a pedal board, should I first try replacing the adaptor with a new adaptor, or replace the entire pedal board? It is very old, a guy gave it to me years ago, and he's had it since the 80's I think he said. Thanks again, this is by far the most helpful forum I've ever been on! You guys are like Columbo!

make sure that the wall wart or power source isnt close to the pedal.....I have had this problem before.
AMPS: JVM 410H (MODS:MM MAR100c 3H CHOKE, MM JVM410 OT, PLEXI MOD W/1uF cap, -ve feed back mod (charlotte method) Recto Mod) W/MARSHALL 1960A and 1960B (X)
GUITARS: GIBSON LP VOODOO,GIBSON EXPLORER (EMG81,60), LTD ECLIPSE EC 2005 (EMG81,60)LTD EX 400(EMG 81,60) Epiphone explorer '84 reissue (emg 81,85) Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom (EMG 81,85)
STUFF: MXR 10 BAND, MAXON OD 808, ISP DECIMATOR, BOSS TU3 tuner, TC G Major, Line 6 relay G30 wireless, Dimebag Wah, moog expression pedal, RJM Mastermind midi controller.