Clean Noise

Your one-stop shop for troubleshooting noise, hiss and related issues with this High-Gain Monster!

Moderators: Dark Horse, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

btk5150
Beginner
Beginner

Clean Noise

Post by btk5150 » Fri May 30, 2014 10:46 pm

Okay, a little background:

This issue probably isn't unique but I'm having trouble finding a post that specifically addresses it, not just here but on any forum (been Googling for days).

Playing a JVM I got used, it is in very good condition. Outputting to 1960 A/B cabs. There is nothing plugged into the amp's input, and the effects loops are also empty/bypassed.

I turn the master from 0 up to 10. Along the way, starting around 10 o'clock I get a bit of hiss and some buzz, and it continues to swell until I get all the way up to max volume. At max it is noticeable if you stand by the amp, but if you play a guitar it is basically covered. I have listened to the serial preamp send with a pair of headphones and it is dead quiet. I get the hum with both cabs, and I've swapped multiple high-quality speaker cables into each of them, so I don't think it's the cables or the speakers I'm using. I can hear the hum exactly the same on clean green, amber (well, a little louder on amber) and I can hear it under the normal overdrive hiss on the crunch and OD channels as well. I've plugged into multiple outlets (only in my home for the time being, haven't had time to take it anywhere else), and I've applied a ground lift (I know that's not a solution but I was just testing it for s's and g's) and neither solution helped.

You can't really hear this hum if you're not playing, and for all I know it is normal, but I'm worried it could be an issue with the power amp or something else, and if I can eliminate the noise I'd like to. Do you guys get this hum if you crank your clean green/amber channel with nothing going through the amp?

Jackie
World Tour

Re: Clean Noise

Post by Jackie » Sat May 31, 2014 12:03 pm

There is nothing plugged into the amp's input
but if you play a guitar it is basically covered
Which one is it then? Hum with no guitar plugged in, hum without guitar plugged in?

That aside, I think that what you're hearing is normal. I remember you saying that you come from SS amps; SS amps are usually dead silent and you're probably more conscious of the noise.
Tonemeister wrote:there is sooo much that the JVM can be...
GUITARS:
Modded Epiphone Goth Explorer w/BKP Nailbombs; Jackson KVMG Pro; Yamaha SG2000; Gibson SG '61 Reissue; Squier Classic Vibe Tele; Yamaha LLX6A
AMPS&CABS:
Marshall JVM410H (EH V1/V5; Chinese 12AX7B V2-V4; -ve fdbk mod, choke mod, plexi cap mod)
VHT Sig:X; Marshall 1960A cab w/V30; Yamaha THR10v2
FX:
BOSS GT-6, Keeley-modded Dunlop Crybaby Wah
MISC:
Proel Esoteric cables, Ernie Ball strings; Dunlop Ultex Sharp picks, craft beer

btk5150
Beginner
Beginner

Post by btk5150 » Sat May 31, 2014 1:57 pm

Jackie wrote:
There is nothing plugged into the amp's input
but if you play a guitar it is basically covered
Which one is it then? Hum with no guitar plugged in, hum without guitar plugged in?

That aside, I think that what you're hearing is normal. I remember you saying that you come from SS amps; SS amps are usually dead silent and you're probably more conscious of the noise.
The noise is there with nothing plugged in, if I plug in a guitar the noise persists, but there is no new noise. It probably isn't something you'd notice in a gigging situation but for recording it could be an issue. I'm thinking of having it retubed, since it hasn't been done since I've owned it, but the guy at my local shop will probably have some input on the subject too.

I'll post back with whatever happens.

spikei
Private Parties

Post by spikei » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:21 am

Retube is the first thing to look into & if it isn't that no loss, you will need spare tubes anyway.
JVM 215c
TC Polytune - TC Flashback

JVM 215c
Blackstar Artisan 15c
Gibson LP Studio
Fender Am Std Strat
Musicman Axis ss
Ibanez LP
JV Strat
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIt4Nj ... subscriber
https://www.facebook.com/mike.griffiths ... ear_menu#_
https://soundcloud.com/mike-griffiths-13

Tonemeister
World Tour

Post by Tonemeister » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:04 pm

btk5150 wrote:...I turn the master from 0 up to 10. Along the way, starting around 10 o'clock I get a bit of hiss and some buzz, and it continues to swell until I get all the way up to max volume....
the bigger question I have is why you need to turn the amp up to max on the Master Volume. You should be at band volume at around 10:00 o'clock... to me a bit of noise is normal for a tube amp. Like Jackie pointed out, you came from SS amps (especially modeling amp)... they are a lot quieter by nature. The extra noise is just something you have to live with but in turn you get everything good that tubes have to offer.
- Marshall JVM410H: Negative Feedback Mod (33k-500k, linear), Compression Mod, One-Wire Cascade Mod, OD2-to-OD1 Mod, P.I. Boost Mod (with 33k in R52), Plexi Cap Mod (1uF), Modified C83 Mod (1- OFF, 2- 0.68uF, 3- 1.0uF, 4- 1.5uF, 5- 2.2uF, 6- 3.2uF), Gain Reduction Mod, Blackface Mod, Mesa Rectifier Mod, 50W (two tubes: 37.5mV), LED Footswitch Mod
- Laney AOR ProTube 3012 Combo: stock
- 2x Marshall 1960B 4xG12T-75
- 2x Dean DIME (FBD, Stealth #29/50), ESP LTD MH-250HT, Fender MIM Strat
- TC Electronic PolyTune, ISP Decimator G-String, Morley Mark Tremonti Power Wah, Ibanez TS9, MXR EVH Phase 90, TC Flashback X4, TC Hall Of Fame

link to my old band "Systatic" (Line6 Vetta II days) http://www.systatic.ca

btk5150
Beginner
Beginner

Post by btk5150 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:10 pm

Tonemeister wrote:
btk5150 wrote:...I turn the master from 0 up to 10. Along the way, starting around 10 o'clock I get a bit of hiss and some buzz, and it continues to swell until I get all the way up to max volume....
the bigger question I have is why you need to turn the amp up to max on the Master Volume. You should be at band volume at around 10:00 o'clock... to me a bit of noise is normal for a tube amp. Like Jackie pointed out, you came from SS amps (especially modeling amp)... they are a lot quieter by nature. The extra noise is just something you have to live with but in turn you get everything good that tubes have to offer.
Well, I'm not turning my master up to 10 in practice. I've just been told that I shouldn't be hearing too much noise if I have nothing going into the amp, so I'm trying to get a sense of whether this is normal behavior for the amp or not. Typical playing conditions I don't even have the amp above 9 o'clock, and I don't get any buzz at that level. And pretty much every other aspect of the amp is mindblowingly awesome. [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]

So if the consensus is that this is SOP then I guess every aspect of the amp is mindblowingly awesome. [smilie=icon_mrgreen.gif]