Noise problems - my personal solutions

Your one-stop shop for troubleshooting noise, hiss and related issues with this High-Gain Monster!

Moderators: Dark Horse, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

tbuonumori
Beginner
Beginner

Noise problems - my personal solutions

Post by tbuonumori » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:01 am

Hi guys please find attached my 4CM scheme with a PodHd 500 and solutions to noise problem.
I use a noise clamp.
I've read a lot of forums and I think this is the best solution to work out the hiss and noise problem.

\m/ rock n'roll

jag-man
Private Parties

Re: Noise problems - my personal solutions

Post by jag-man » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:05 am

Another Italian [smilie=banana_smiley.gif] [smilie=banana_smiley.gif] [smilie=headbang.gif]
I use the same setup! Only with a GT10 and not a POD..
I found also that the two noise gates in my GT10 are more than enough to solve noise problems!
Why are you using a noise clamp too?
Guitars:
- Fender Jaguar Special HH with stock Fender Dragster pickups
- Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas with stock Seymour Duncan JB and '59
Amps:
- JVM 410H no mods and stock tubes
Cabs:
- 1936 with stock speakers (Celestion G12-T75)
Effects:
-Boss GT10 in 4cm with the JVM and midi control

Tonemeister
World Tour

Post by Tonemeister » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:50 pm

Great post. Thanks for sharing tbuonumori. The diagram is awesome.

The only thing I had a hard time were the "Notes" in the diagram. If you could re-post the "notes" bigger that would be great.

Also, can you share some of your POD settings... where in the signal chain on the POD are the gate(s) located? What is the Threshold set at? What are your input/output settings on the POD? Maybe a global EQ (if used for transparency)?... anything else that might be helpful.

I do not use a POD but I know there are many members here that do use it.
- Marshall JVM410H: Negative Feedback Mod (33k-500k, linear), Compression Mod, One-Wire Cascade Mod, OD2-to-OD1 Mod, P.I. Boost Mod (with 33k in R52), Plexi Cap Mod (1uF), Modified C83 Mod (1- OFF, 2- 0.68uF, 3- 1.0uF, 4- 1.5uF, 5- 2.2uF, 6- 3.2uF), Gain Reduction Mod, Blackface Mod, Mesa Rectifier Mod, 50W (two tubes: 37.5mV), LED Footswitch Mod
- Laney AOR ProTube 3012 Combo: stock
- 2x Marshall 1960B 4xG12T-75
- 2x Dean DIME (FBD, Stealth #29/50), ESP LTD MH-250HT, Fender MIM Strat
- TC Electronic PolyTune, ISP Decimator G-String, Morley Mark Tremonti Power Wah, Ibanez TS9, MXR EVH Phase 90, TC Flashback X4, TC Hall Of Fame

link to my old band "Systatic" (Line6 Vetta II days) http://www.systatic.ca

jimsreynolds
World Tour

Post by jimsreynolds » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:00 am

Tonemeister wrote:The only thing I had a hard time were the "Notes" in the diagram. If you could re-post the "notes" bigger that would be great.
TM

They can be found in the original post here --> viewtopic.php?p=53222#p53222 [smilie=icon_wink.gif]

The HD500 has two perfectly acceptable models of noise gate, the 'Hard Gate' being best for high gain. You can apply one at the front of the FX chain to silence the guitar and a second to gate the pre-amp hiss. If there is hum then that is best busted with a transformer (Ebtech Hum destroyer etc) or ground-broken loop cables.

As with so many gates, the HD500 loop gates ones need to be balanced just so for a certain channel volume setting and this means that you cannot necessarily use the same gate setting for all channels and expect it to be natural.
JimBOB

-------------------------------------------
Amps:

Guitars:
  • 70s hard-tail Strat with EMG 89/SA actives. Gibson "The Paul" with bridge P-Rails, Triple-shot, Roland GK-3 and Torres Tone Mods. Gretsch 6119 Tennessee Rose. PRS SE Semi-Hollow w/Bigsby, Squier Affinity Tele (Modded), Falk "Splitter", Taylor T5, Ibanez RG2610E
    Taylor DN3 Acoustic w/Rare Earth Blend, Ovation Celebrity 6/12 Acoustic, Martin 000X1AE, Rally Resonator, Stretton Payne 12-string.
FX:
  • Joyos galore! T-Rex Moller, TC Flashback X4, MXR '78 Distortion, Crybaby, Line 6 HD500 - 4CM & MIDI switching, (retired), Boss GT8 (retired)