Static noise (power)

Your one-stop shop for troubleshooting noise, hiss and related issues with this High-Gain Monster!

Moderators: Dark Horse, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

BigD.
Garage Band

Static noise (power)

Post by BigD. » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:44 pm

Dear Jvm forum.

I will try to explain my problem.

I have a ISP decimator II in the loop and it works perfectly. Love it. But i have a problem. When i'm at home i don't have any feedback when i play palm mute in OD orange.

But when i perform on location (some locations more than others) i have the ISP set to the same treshold. I get a static noise when i play palm mute. Could it have something to do with my power supply or the grounding of the power on the location.

And could it be solved?

I hope someone understands this. I will try to record it next time so you guys can hear the problem.

sorry for the sloppy english :D

Many thanks

Big D.!

BigD.
Garage Band

Re: Static noise (power)

Post by BigD. » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:04 pm

I have a recording of my problem.

Is anyone familiar with this his sound after palm mute?

Thanks

D.!
Attachments
Audio-opname 2015-10-07 16-32-06.mp3
(637.13 KiB) Downloaded 82 times

plattfusz
Beginner
Beginner

Post by plattfusz » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:32 pm

Hello, i use also the ISP II.
I also tried to use my padals in the loops...
but i get strange noise... The best way for me was
to put all my pedals in the front...

Guitar -> Wah -> Tuner -> DSP II -> etc. -> Amp

Try to use it in front ... perhaps it will also work better for you there. :)

Best regards

BigD.
Garage Band

Post by BigD. » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:42 am

plattfusz wrote:Hello, i use also the ISP II.
I also tried to use my padals in the loops...
but i get strange noise... The best way for me was
to put all my pedals in the front...

Guitar -> Wah -> Tuner -> DSP II -> etc. -> Amp

Try to use it in front ... perhaps it will also work better for you there. :)

Best regards
Thanks for the info.

I can try it but i don't think it will solve it. The only pedal i have in the loop is my delay pedal. Al the rest is in front...

D.!

nato
Private Parties

Post by nato » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:03 am

Hi there BigD, from your recording it sounds like your noise suppressor/gate is not closing quick enough. I've been wrestling with this for years. I'm not really familiar with the decimator - I use Boss noise suppressors (GT-100)- but from my experience it is a matter of getting the best mix of threshold and decay without killing your sustain. Also try to eliminate any noisy cables, laptop computers, fluorescent lights etc. from the equation. Currently I'm setting my suppressors with heaps of decay so at least any noise that does get through will gently fade instead of getting that kind of "surge" once you stop playing.

I would be very interested on anyone else's take on this, or if you find a solution please let us know.
JVM410H,Marshall 1960A,Marshall 1960B,American standard fender strat,Gibson SG Standard,Gibson Les Paul studio Faded 2016T, Jackson King V, Ibanez Xiphos, Boss GT-100, Boss NS-2, Jim Dunlop Cry Baby, Big Muff Pi, MXR KFK 10 Band Eq

jimsreynolds
World Tour

Post by jimsreynolds » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:56 am

Hi.

It is a little hard to hear what is happening on the MP3 for two reasons:

1) There is reverb on which means you cannot clearly hear when it cuts off.
2) The recorder has an AGC (Automatic Gain Control) which is turning the volume up and down as things get quieter and louder.

With that said, I agree with Nato: It sounds like the gate is not closing quickly enough to gate out the hum. I have a few thoughts then:

There is actually quite a lot of hum that you are trying to gate. Generally, it is better to try and get rid of the hum before you have to gate it out or things can sound unnatural. If you have a single coil guitar and are using the OD channels channels then yes, there would be hum and buzz and that is just something that you would have to live with. A well screened guitar with humbuckers should NOT cause significant hum on the OD channels - there will be hiss though from the high gain, which is normal.

Do you get the same amount of hum when you just have the guitar plugged into the amp and all of your pedals completely disconnected from the amp? Try this and compare. Add the pedals back in one at a time See if the hum comes back when you add a particular pedal. Consider whether you really need that pedal.

Do you find that you only get the noise when you start adding pedals to the loop? In which case, make sure all pedals are in the series/parallel loop with the Mix set at 100% and the button set to -10dB. If there is the same amount of noise then a ground loop may be an issue. We can discuss that.

A further thought is that you may find that you do better with a Decimator G String (or even a second Decimator II, linked to the one you already have) to allow you to to have a gate tracking the signal directly out from the guitar. This can produce a more natural form or noise reduction.

Final thought is, when you get to the stage ... adjust the Decimator knob to a little beyond the point where the noise disappears when are not playing (leave your volume turned up but mute the strings with your hand). The power quality in different locations may cause more or less noise and that may force you to adjust.
JimBOB

-------------------------------------------
Amps:

Guitars:
  • 70s hard-tail Strat with EMG 89/SA actives. Gibson "The Paul" with bridge P-Rails, Triple-shot, Roland GK-3 and Torres Tone Mods. Gretsch 6119 Tennessee Rose. PRS SE Semi-Hollow w/Bigsby, Squier Affinity Tele (Modded), Falk "Splitter", Taylor T5, Ibanez RG2610E
    Taylor DN3 Acoustic w/Rare Earth Blend, Ovation Celebrity 6/12 Acoustic, Martin 000X1AE, Rally Resonator, Stretton Payne 12-string.
FX:
  • Joyos galore! T-Rex Moller, TC Flashback X4, MXR '78 Distortion, Crybaby, Line 6 HD500 - 4CM & MIDI switching, (retired), Boss GT8 (retired)

BigD.
Garage Band

Post by BigD. » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:47 pm

Hi Jimbob

Well that is a lot to take in.

I just put up my amp and my pedals. But i have a gig this weekend so next week i will try each pedal individually.

But it's no hiss problem. The hiss from the od channels are gone with the help of the g string II. But the hum i get from the palm muting is pretty annoying. I thought it had something to do with the power supply maybe? because at some places i play it hums more then in others.

When i put the treshold a bit higher on the g-string the hum is gone but then the g-string cuts the sound off too fast and i don't like that. There is no tone sucking though.

I just tested my guitar straight into the input of my marshall. I get a looot of noise from the higain but that's normal i think. But i don't get any hum after palm muting though....

Thanks

D.!

BigD.
Garage Band

Post by BigD. » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:52 pm

I did some research

Most of the noise was coming from my mxr 10 band EQ. I had it after my distortion pedals.
Now i placed it in the loop after the delay. It's working better and there's less noise...

D.!

BigD.
Garage Band

Post by BigD. » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:38 pm

I found the solution for my problem. After a while the weard hum came back.

It was my power supply. I used about 3 different addapters. I now switched to the 1spot pro c12 power supply (http://truetone.com/power-supplies/1-sp ... ro-c12zzz/)

Man does this thing work. I got no problems with noise anymore. I really recommend it!

nato
Private Parties

Post by nato » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:57 am

I'm glad you found a solution to your noise problem BigD. I've always been a bit sceptical of these power bricks that supposedly filter this and eliminate that, but it might be time to give one a try.
Thanks for letting us know how things worked out.

oh, P.S. Does this brick really work? really? I mean really, no bullshit?
JVM410H,Marshall 1960A,Marshall 1960B,American standard fender strat,Gibson SG Standard,Gibson Les Paul studio Faded 2016T, Jackson King V, Ibanez Xiphos, Boss GT-100, Boss NS-2, Jim Dunlop Cry Baby, Big Muff Pi, MXR KFK 10 Band Eq

BigD.
Garage Band

Post by BigD. » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:38 am

Why so sceptical?

It's handy, before i used 3 seperate power supplies. Now i just have to plug one power cable in/out.

It's designed for those who use many pedals. + it really really really does work. I have no problems with it? I say to you "give it a go"!!! :)

nato
Private Parties

Post by nato » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:18 am

Thanks BigD. There seems to be a lot of products out there that don't really achieve what they are supposed to. And I'm certainly not questioning your judgement - I was just having a seems to be too good to be true moment.
After checking it out further on the interweb, I think its going on my "things I need" list.

Cheers.