Andy
Administrator

Reset Head to factory Settings

Post by Andy » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:13 am

Factory reset :-

Hold Clean Mode + Turn ON Power, Channel LEDs glow red
confirm by pressing Crunch Mode
|----- if this forum helped you, pls donate to keep it alive -----|
::: JVM410 head,modded:- Hammond 5H choke, 2 tubes pulled, 37.5mv bias :: Caseys Mods :- Plexi cap, -ve feedback, Dual Rectifier, Blackface, 1 wire Randy Rhoads, Plexi, Metaled Out ModPI Boost, OD Channel Gain Reduction Mod
::: AFD100, DSL100W head (no C83), Fender Champ 12
::: 1960AV 2xgreenbacks 2xG12H30, homemade 2x12 cab 2x Celestion Golds (100W)
::: Gibson Les Paul Standard, Dimarzio SD bridge Pup,Standard neck Pup.
::: Tokai Strat with Dimarzio SD, Epi SG-400 Iommi, Hondo Les Paul, Alhambra Acoustic fishman Pup
::: PodXTLive, Vox V848 Clyde McCoy Wah Wah,

It's better to fail in Originality than to succeed in Imitation ...

Chuck
Pub Band

Re: Reset Head to factory Settings

Post by Chuck » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:22 am

Ok I have to ask...why would you need to do this? Just curious. Is it footswitch related?

MJG
Private Parties

What is the purpose of the factory reset? [JVM410H]

Post by MJG » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:22 am

I found out from the manual how to reset the footswitch to default/factory settings. I understand what it does and how to do it.

What I don't understand is the factory reset for the amp. What does this do? Is it just related to the MIDI functions?

erpece
Club Circuit

Re: What is the purpose of the factory reset? [JVM410H]

Post by erpece » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:23 pm

MJG wrote:I found out from the manual how to reset the footswitch to default/factory settings. I understand what it does and how to do it.

What I don't understand is the factory reset for the amp. What does this do? Is it just related to the MIDI functions?
Not sure, but I think the footswitch assignments are stored in the amp too (not in the f/s). Anyway, the factory reset applies to the footswitch settings and the MIDI programs. As with any device that can be reset to factory defaults, there are several situations where the reset may be needed: demo, new owner or simply cleaning up your own mess. [smilie=icon_lol.gif]
Amp: Marshall JVM410HJS (nov 2012 - present), JVM410H (apr 2007 - dec 2012)
Cab: 1960B with 2 Heritage G12M's and 2 G12T75's, Two Notes Torpedo Live (with home-made IR of my cab)
FX: Line6 Helix, Rocktron Banshee
Guitars: Warmoth Explorer (Bareknuckle Black Dog), Gibson Les Paul Classic (BK Black Dog), Ibanez 1979 Iceman (BK Rebel Yells), EBMM Axis (BK Rebel Yells), Custom PRS (BK Black Dog) and a few more

DannyjoeCarter
Benefactor

Post by DannyjoeCarter » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:23 pm

My buddy bought a JVM used on ebay and all the presets were turned off except OD2 with different master settings and fx loops. So basically no matter what button you stepped on you got OD2 with or without FXs.

So we had to dig into the manual to get back the factory presets, which I'm glad there was that option!! [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]

MJG
Private Parties

Post by MJG » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:26 pm

DannyjoeCarter wrote:My buddy bought a JVM used on ebay and all the presets were turned off except OD2 with different master settings and fx loops. So basically no matter what button you stepped on you got OD2 with or without FXs.

So we had to dig into the manual to get back the factory presets, which I'm glad there was that option!! [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]
[smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]

So the amp does store the settings (too?) then??? Interesting. I thought it was just the footswitch (as the demo on the Marshall website says you can take your footswitch and plug it into another JVM and your settings will be re-called).

DannyjoeCarter
Benefactor

Post by DannyjoeCarter » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:02 am

MJG wrote:
DannyjoeCarter wrote:My buddy bought a JVM used on ebay and all the presets were turned off except OD2 with different master settings and fx loops. So basically no matter what button you stepped on you got OD2 with or without FXs.

[smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]

So the amp does store the settings (too?) then??? Interesting. I thought it was just the footswitch (as the demo on the Marshall website says you can take your footswitch and plug it into another JVM and your settings will be re-called).
Well let me clarify that; the other channels weren't able to be brought up from the footswitch. You could manually switch in the other channels, its just that all the switches were preset with only OD2. Why someone would do this I'm not sure.
But we did a reset on the footswitch because it was much easier than manually going through every channel.

jim renolds
World Tour

Post by jim renolds » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:04 am

As I remember, the footswitch stores all the footswitch-related presets, not the amp. The amp only stores MIDI presets.

Picture two JVMs, "A" and "B". Amp A is programmed only for footswitch presets(no MIDI programs ever put in), Amp B is only operated with a MIDI pedal and still has the factory default presets in its factory footswitch (which isn't used). Now if you take the footswitch from Amp A and hook it up to Amp B, Amp B will now operate exactly like Amp A did. However, if you take the MIDI pedal from Amp B and plug it into Amp A, it will NOT operate like Amp B because those MIDI presets are stored inside Amp B itself. And finally, if we take the factory default-setting footswitch from B and plug it into A, Amp A now will operate according to the factory defaults (until we plug its original "A" footswitch back in, at which point it will again operate as the user had programmed it).

The factory reset would clear the footswitch from the footswitch-related presets, and clear the amp of all MIDI presets. So, I think you had it pretty well figured out already.
JVM 410H w/Mods: 1µF Plexi Cap, 3H Mojotone Choke, Neg. Feedback Adj. Pot.(500K)

MJG
Private Parties

Post by MJG » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:11 pm

Dark Horse wrote:As I remember, the footswitch stores all the footswitch-related presets, not the amp. The amp only stores MIDI presets.

Picture two JVMs, "A" and "B". Amp A is programmed only for footswitch presets(no MIDI programs ever put in), Amp B is only operated with a MIDI pedal and still has the factory default presets in its factory footswitch (which isn't used). Now if you take the footswitch from Amp A and hook it up to Amp B, Amp B will now operate exactly like Amp A did. However, if you take the MIDI pedal from Amp B and plug it into Amp A, it will NOT operate like Amp B because those MIDI presets are stored inside Amp B itself. And finally, if we take the factory default-setting footswitch from B and plug it into A, Amp A now will operate according to the factory defaults (until we plug its original "A" footswitch back in, at which point it will again operate as the user had programmed it).

The factory reset would clear the footswitch from the footswitch-related presets, and clear the amp of all MIDI presets. So, I think you had it pretty well figured out already.
Yes that all makes sense to me. Thanks [smilie=gt-happyup.gif] [smilie=icon_mrgreen.gif]

Up until now I've not been using this amp very practically/efficiently. I've just been working with the footswitch as default and "cycling" for the modes I want. Looking to setting the footswitch to what I use now. Its awesome - I'm using button six for reverb on/off then I can effectively have 5 sounds set and ready to go. Love this amp! [smilie=icon_mrgreen.gif]
AndySpain wrote:This thread has been merged with the existing sticky for completeness ...

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2308&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Sorry for that – I searched for the term “resetting” so that thread never came up.

DannyjoeCarter – I just had a quick look at your youtube channel. Awesome technique and tones!!!! Good job sir [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]

DannyjoeCarter
Benefactor

Post by DannyjoeCarter » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:25 pm

MJG wrote:
Dark Horse wrote:As I remember, the footswitch stores all the footswitch-related presets, not the amp. The amp only stores MIDI presets.

Yes that all makes sense to me. Thanks [smilie=gt-happyup.gif] [smilie=icon_mrgreen.gif]

Up until now I've not been using this amp very practically/efficiently. I've just been working with the footswitch as default and "cycling" for the modes I want. Looking to setting the footswitch to what I use now. Its awesome - I'm using button six for reverb on/off then I can effectively have 5 sounds set and ready to go. Love this amp! [smilie=icon_mrgreen.gif]
AndySpain wrote:This thread has been merged with the existing sticky for completeness ...

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2308&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Sorry for that – I searched for the term “resetting” so that thread never came up.

DannyjoeCarter – I just had a quick look at your youtube channel. Awesome technique and tones!!!! Good job sir [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]
Thank you!
Love this amp; it's the first time ever I have been able to do everything I like to do from rhythm to lead on one setting or one amp for that matter. The JVM has made my life very simply. [smilie=icon_mrgreen.gif]

santiall
Maestro

Post by santiall » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:21 pm

the factory reset clears the amplifier memory. That includes the memorised channel settings (for example clean red+reverb+FX) AND the midi memory.

THe footswitch presets and assignments are stored in the footswitch so it is perfectly possible to recall the same channel configurations in different JVMs using a single footswitch.

The reset has few purposes:
-to avoid having to reprogram MIDI presets/clear the internal channel setting
-as a "safety" measure in case of some weird and highly improbably glitch affects the controller memory. As far as I know it hasn't happened in the more than 3 years the amp is in production. We also still use the very first software revision which highlights ow reliable the switching and control program has been. Other manufacturers using microcontrollers keep updating and reprogramming amps ;-)
-for production purposes so the amplifier is shipped "clean" and "ready" after passing all the factory tests which also involve programming and storing things.

DannyjoeCarter
Benefactor

Post by DannyjoeCarter » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:05 pm

Great info Santiago, thanks for sharing! [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]

terrencerocks
Beginner
Beginner

Post by terrencerocks » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:55 am

I am curious, that means there must be a cadmium batterey in there somewhere to hold the settings when its turned off. That only has about a three year shelf life. Usually shiny round like a quarter Chrome and knowing marshall probably one of those plastic push in receptacles soldered to the board. I was Curious on how to reset the head, thanks. Got to dig into that manual more.
Les Paul and a Marshall!

manicguitarist
Pub Band

Post by manicguitarist » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:52 pm

terrencerocks wrote:I am curious, that means there must be a cadmium batterey in there somewhere to hold the settings when its turned off. That only has about a three year shelf life. Usually shiny round like a quarter Chrome and knowing marshall probably one of those plastic push in receptacles soldered to the board. I was Curious on how to reset the head, thanks. Got to dig into that manual more.
No need for battery if you use flash RAM or eeprom.

Jshannon3
Garage Band

Post by Jshannon3 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:27 am

I had problems with the mode lights not functioning properly and the factory reset cleared that problem up for me, maybe it was a midi glitch, I don’t know. I don’t use a midi controller. But it’s been a few months and a little wear and tear on the amp(JVM410H)and the problem has not come back.
Jim Shannon
jshannon3@yahoo.com
ESP E2 M2 Urban Camo guitars (2)
ESP LTD MH330FMFR guitar
Marshall JVM410H
Marshall MX412A/B Cabs
Marshall Code 50
Boss effects pedals