Alternative to JVM JS?

Moderators: Dark Horse, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

yongling
Garage Band

Alternative to JVM JS?

Post by yongling » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:27 am

Hi guys! I'm considering simplifying my rig as I mainly play at home nowadays. My current rig is a Marshall JVM JS head into a 2x12 Mesa Recto cab and I love the sound they produce to bits.

Since I mainly play at home, a 100W half-stack is pretty over the top as I don't get to play it pass 2 on the master volume. With the advancement of digital amp modelling nowadays, I'm thinking of getting units like the Atomic AmpliFire as it is the more practical option. However, it would be great if I can have a tube amp at the same time in case I miss the good old sound of tube amp to speaker pushing air.

So kind sirs, kindly suggest the closest alternative you can think of that would be similar to the JVM JS in terms of tone, preferably a combo not more than 15W or 30W. Thanks in advance!!!!
Gibson Les Paul Traditional [Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAF + Dimarzio Super Distortion]
Marshall JVM410HJS
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Rectifier [Closed back w/ V30s]

Currently lacking: Skills

Andy
Administrator

Re: Alternative to JVM JS?

Post by Andy » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:09 pm

keep the jvm , simple, pull 2 tubes then you have a 50w amp right there that you know sounds good, and you won't need to spend any money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
::: JVM410 head,modded:- Hammond 5H choke, 2 tubes pulled, 37.5mv bias :: Caseys Mods :- Plexi cap, -ve feedback, Dual Rectifier, Blackface, 1 wire Randy Rhoads, Plexi, Metaled Out ModPI Boost, OD Channel Gain Reduction Mod
::: AFD100, DSL100W head (no C83), Fender Champ 12
::: 1960AV 2xgreenbacks 2xG12H30, homemade 2x12 cab 2x Celestion Golds (100W)
::: Gibson Les Paul Standard, Dimarzio SD bridge Pup,Standard neck Pup.
::: Tokai Strat with Dimarzio SD, Epi SG-400 Iommi, Hondo Les Paul, Alhambra Acoustic fishman Pup
::: PodXTLive fully loaded, Vox V848 Clyde McCoy Wah Wah, Korg Pitchblack and Snark Tuners

It's better to fail in Originality than to succeed in Imitation ...

yongling
Garage Band

Post by yongling » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:08 pm

Thanks Andy for the suggestion. Do you also happen to know which of the tubes I should pull?
Gibson Les Paul Traditional [Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAF + Dimarzio Super Distortion]
Marshall JVM410HJS

Dark Horse
World Tour

Post by Dark Horse » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:17 pm

You can pull any two, as long as you pull one from the left pair, and one from the right pair. Do not pull both from the left side, or both from the right side. Other than that, you're golden. Andy's advice is exactly what I was thinking. Why replace an amp that already does what you want. To me, the "I only play at home" explanation for needing a smaller rig just doesn't fly. It's the guys that are moving their rigs every week and shoe-horning them into tiny venues that need the little rigs. If you have a monster rig at home that you don't have to move, AS LONG AS IT GIVES YOU THE TONE YOU WANT, why change it for the sake of changing it?

DH
JVM 410H w/Mods: 1µF Plexi Cap, 3H Mojotone Choke, Neg. Feedback Adj. Pot.(500K)

Greg_L
Club Circuit

Post by Greg_L » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:51 pm

Sorry, but pulling tubes is not a solution. If you think a 50w amp is appreciably quieter than a 100w amp, you're kidding yourself. The cranked difference is 3db at best. At bedroom volumes there is no difference.

The good news is that the JVM is probably the best big-amp-at-low-volume amp there is.

A 15 or 30 watt combo is still capable of being loud as hell.

Just enjoy your JVM turned down.
My gear list? Do a search.

yongling
Garage Band

Post by yongling » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:14 am

Just tried pulling 2 tubes and I'm not sure if it's my ears, the amp sounds 'stiffer' now. Any of you have this experience?
Marshall JVM410HJS

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:17 am

pulling 2 tubes takes him nearer to the 30w amp that he was thinking of getting, and he gets a pair of spare tubes.

if the neighbours go on holiday he can also crank it up for crazy happy face times that the lesser alternative amp might not manage to do.
::: JVM410 head,modded:- Hammond 5H choke, 2 tubes pulled, 37.5mv bias :: Caseys Mods :- Plexi cap, -ve feedback, Dual Rectifier, Blackface, 1 wire Randy Rhoads, Plexi, Metaled Out ModPI Boost, OD Channel Gain Reduction Mod
::: Tokai Strat with Dimarzio SD, Epi SG-400 Iommi, Hondo Les Paul, Alhambra Acoustic fishman Pup
::: PodXTLive fully loaded, Vox V848 Clyde McCoy Wah Wah, Korg Pitchblack and Snark Tuners

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:20 am

when i pulled my tubes i didn't notice that it was stiffer, you should bias the amp though as you just have the two tubes.

okgb
Club Circuit

Post by okgb » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:14 pm

In fact for pulling two tubes you'd think the amp would be over bias'ed but that's the simplest form of the 1/2 power switch that many use
we need a pentode / triode mod for the jvm , that would knock two tubes down even further
[ fwiw I thought 4 tubes were much fuller than two , and since you have to have it very loud to hear the difference, I put two back
and didn't worry about saving them ! ]
Amps JVM 410H [too many mods to mention ] '73 50w lead, 70's vibrochamp , mesa mkIII U.S. Vox pacemaker
Rock , pop rock & Blues style's mainly played
Gtr's Musicanman " Luke " wolfgang [ carved top w pearly gates ] Hondo lazer , Warmoth strat
Fx t.c. 2290 , Lexicon tc verb
Pedals tbone plexi , t.c. chorus , various handmade & usual suspects t.s. , zen , CB wah ..........