Convert Haze 40 into JCM 800

Moderators: Dark Horse, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

mattnew
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Convert Haze 40 into JCM 800

Post by mattnew » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:55 pm

I realize it is a bit of a dead thread, but after ~4 years of looking over these mods and not loving my haze 40.. decided to try out the first section of mods.

Couple notes:
C72 -> changed to 1nF . I did this mod and past 5 on the treble knob I would get a whistle coming through the amp. Loud whiney squeak that would go away with treble below 4, however the amp had almost no bass response. I measured the original cap in C72 and found it was a 320pF cap, not the 47pF cap that is shown on the schematic. Not sure what the deal is here but we ended up putting back the 320pF cap.

The rest I did as described, and for the most part it sounds pretty good. The gain is quite a bit more than the original which was my main dislike, and I still have a usable clean channel. I think the only thing I'm not loving is the bottom end is a lot thinner, meaning I can have the bass turned all the way up and it doesn't appear to have much of an effect on the output anymore. I've tried a couple different guitars through it so far, it sounds best with humbuckers, my strats are a bit too trebly through it now though...Clean channel still sounds great...

thoughts?

jessethibes
Beginner
Beginner

Post by jessethibes » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:57 pm

Man, did you put the 470pF cap in parallel over R88 and R44? I done that, and that was too treble for my taste. If you've done, try to pull off that. Maybe the "too treble" I heard that time (two years ago, I don't remember...) was at really "thin bass?!?" I didn't done the changes for more gain either.

Did you tried another speaker?

mark1198
Beginner
Beginner

Post by mark1198 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:44 pm

Glad to find this forum, finally got tired with my Marshall Haze 40 sound and acted.
1. Changed the tubes out to Tung Sol's (proper Biasing is a must), slight improvement.
2. Changed the speaker to a Celestial 75 watt creamback, slight improvement , then...
3. Simply changed C72 to a 1nF cap (from Radio Shack) and cut C73 out. Big improvement, actually sounds like a Marshall now. It has enough drive for my needs currently, so I stopped the mods there.
Somewhere along the journey I pulled the poorly placed head out and put it into it's own vented box and closed up the back to near factory porting, sans the metal plate for the 1/4" speaker plug.
Question? What about changing C77? would this add some sparkle to the clean channel?
Plastic corners are ordered.
Attachments
Haze Head.jpg
Haze amp.jpg
Cab.jpg

jessethibes
Beginner
Beginner

Post by jessethibes » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:42 am

mark1198 wrote:Glad to find this forum, finally got tired with my Marshall Haze 40 sound and acted.
1. Changed the tubes out to Tung Sol's (proper Biasing is a must), slight improvement.
2. Changed the speaker to a Celestial 75 watt creamback, slight improvement , then...
3. Simply changed C72 to a 1nF cap (from Radio Shack) and cut C73 out. Big improvement, actually sounds like a Marshall now. It has enough drive for my needs currently, so I stopped the mods there.
Somewhere along the journey I pulled the poorly placed head out and put it into it's own vented box and closed up the back to near factory porting, sans the metal plate for the 1/4" speaker plug.
Question? What about changing C77? would this add some sparkle to the clean channel?
Plastic corners are ordered.
Hi Mark!

I had the same feeling when changed C72 and cut C73. The best improvement is right there. Marshall tone from a Marshall amp, finally banana_rasta And yes, the proper Biasing does much difference...

About C77, I didn't tried. I didn't done any change about more gain, because I like as it is. Just thought about putting a 12AT7 or 5751 (don't know if 5751 s possilble) in first-stage preamp, because when the gain is more than 3 o'clock and a good volume, that be kinda "congested" sound, don't you notice it?

Clean channel - on high volume, the bright switch does not solve your problem?

About the speaker, I didn't tried another one. Have a friend that tried the Creamback 75 and hated the results hehe... I'm thinking about creamback 65, or some craziness - Celestion A type hehe... don't know yet.

Anyway, I want to register that I play on stage with a strat, and it's a phenomenal sound. Some pop rock projects (from Pink Floyd to Creedence to Bonnie Tyler hehe), and a jazz blues project, and the Haze goes as a beast. Never used volume more than 5 (what is not a good thing, valves sometimes never get really hot...). Really a great amp, just need some little changes...

Guisoloco
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Guisoloco » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:55 am

HI i need help guy.. i tryed to modded my Haze and I messed up!! i modded my haze 40c like a 15 haze and i lost now the original values.. so pls pls any1 can tell me the original values for:
-C58, C59, C53, R15 and C12.

THX A LOT!

Guisoloco
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Guisoloco » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:41 pm

[smiley-facepalm]

Pls values for haze 40c...

Guisoloco
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Guisoloco » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:09 pm

i get schematics on an old post.. thx a lot!