My good friends Amps (Hawkins amplification)

Moderators: jim renolds, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

ALrock
Club Circuit

My good friends Amps (Hawkins amplification)

Post by ALrock » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:20 am

Hey y'all, I had mentioned before that I had a friend who builds amps from scratch etc..
anyway, I finally remembered to ask him for a link to his amps.. (link at the bottom of thread/post)

I jam with this dude at his personal/private invite only open jams he has, and have payed on a few of his amps, and honestly, I am NOT just saying this because he is a friend, but his amps ROCK! for real!

I honestly do not know how to describe, and i find my self a bit hesitant to even attempt, as it seams Tone is often in the ears of the beholder, AND, if I try to compare it to a regular commercial amp, I may be off and give his amps a false interpretation..

that said, the best I can do, would be to somewhat compare it to my JVM..
Now, one of the things I like the most about my JVM, is its ability to produce beautiful harmonics, she just sings man! and that is something I have noticed with his amps as well.
I would have to say that my Stock JVM can be a bit "ice pick" sounding depending on channel etc, where as his amps seams smoother in that area..
Perhaps a bit more like a JSJVM? or maybe a touch of a mesa boogie? not sure, but, they do seam to be a bit smother when it comes to the sometimes thin sounded JVM (Again I only say ice pick and thin, depending on a few variables)..

anyway, maybe I can somehow get a sound clip next time I am over there, Unfortunately, it would likely be just my hand held camera, but, he still has my JVM, so who knows, maybe I can record both at the same time (well same time being same night/jam session.. LOL)..
anyway, have a look if you'd like, Really cool dude and honestly his amps DO rock!.. If I were to come into some money and wanting to get another amp, I'd have a hard not not going for either his filthy 50, or the 30 I play on over at his place often.. (side note, one night while jamming, everyone got so loud I could not hear the thirty at all, turns out, a second knob apparently kicks that little monster into -get out of the way!- mode, cause man, it was hanging with 100watt full stacks NP at ALL!) And yes, I am aware of the wattage to ear level perception and how many more watts it takes for even a few DBl's increase etc..

http://hawkinsamplification.tumblr.com/
JVM 410H...No mods..none needed, perfect like it is :)
1960A LEAD CAB (Stock)
IBANEZ RG920 PREMIUM
ISP G STRING NOISE GATE
TC ELECTRONIC DELAY
MXR 10 BAND EQ
IBANEZ CF7 CHORUS - FLANGER
MORLEY STEVE VAI BAD HORSIE 2 CONTOUR WAH PEDAL