bogner xtc

Moderators: jim renolds, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

okgb
Club Circuit

bogner xtc

Post by okgb » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:36 pm

looking at a schematic it seems to be a fender clean channel and marshall vintage & modded other channel
my friends seems to sound quite good , is this just parts quality or ? speculation ?
Amps JVM 410H [too many mods to mention ] '73 50w lead, 70's vibrochamp , mesa mkIII U.S. Vox pacemaker
Rock , pop rock & Blues style's mainly played
Gtr's Musicanman " Luke " wolfgang [ carved top w pearly gates ] Hondo lazer , Warmoth strat
Fx t.c. 2290 , Lexicon tc verb
Pedals tbone plexi , t.c. chorus , various handmade & usual suspects t.s. , zen , CB wah ..........

donnyboiler
Private Parties

Re: bogner xtc

Post by donnyboiler » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:44 am

My favourite amp. Read the schematic the other day so I have info to add here.

Plexi mode is basically a nuts-on transitional '68 Plexi. Blue channel adds one extra gain stage between the first two which is not a million miles away from how Friedman does things. Red adds another, this time a cold clip stage like you get in an SLO - although it sounds almost nothing like one of those. B1 equates to the bright cap value on a Plexi's gain control, B2 is brighter and N is like a snipped bright cap.

Green as you rightly say is a Fender Super Reverb circuit but with a two position bright switch and a mid control. B1 is the standard Fender value, B2 is brighter. Run gain low and volume at max for true cleans, or lots of breakup available if you reverse the situation. This channel is not idiot-proof which accounts for most of its negative reviews.

Output section is basically stock '67-'68 Plexi. Most of the magic is in great design, tight component tolerances and the EQs which have audio taper pots for treble and mid, meaning your Marshall-esque sounds are higher up than expected. Yes it's darker and smoother overall than any Marshall, I don't know whether there are differences in the presence circuit too - it does need to be run higher for the results you expect.

Amazing amp with the most addictive blend of liquid feel, organic mids, sizzling gain and tight punchy lows. I love many, many amps but the 101B is the desert island amp for me.

okgb
Club Circuit

Re: bogner xtc

Post by okgb » Sat May 04, 2019 5:44 pm

most addictive blend of liquid feel, organic mids, sizzling gain and tight punchy lows
Wow! careful there , you're starting to sounding like how Mesa sells their stuff ! lol
[ only recently read about the first rectifier preamp being an exact values, rip off of the Soldano slo ]

the plate B+ voltage can also contribute to tighness or looseness , that's one of the differences between some of
the bogner designs
Amps JVM 410H [too many mods to mention ] '73 50w lead, 70's vibrochamp , mesa mkIII U.S. Vox pacemaker
Rock , pop rock & Blues style's mainly played
Gtr's Musicanman " Luke " wolfgang [ carved top w pearly gates ] Hondo lazer , Warmoth strat
Fx t.c. 2290 , Lexicon tc verb
Pedals tbone plexi , t.c. chorus , various handmade & usual suspects t.s. , zen , CB wah ..........