JVM Forum

All about Marshall's JVM Series

Please help us with the forum running costs
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:08 pm
Google Search the forum ... note that google has to index stuff before it shows up in the search, so it will not instantly show results for new posts

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:11 pm 
Club Circuit

So I finally got rid of the POD HD500, too many artifacts to create decent tone, a never ending learning curve and, I guess, I'm getting old and am not very patient.

First impressions of the Blackstar (arrived one hour ago) are more than positive: build quality is very good, the clean channel is fairly decent until you reach neighbour unfriendly volume levels, and the overdrive channel appears to be fantastic, not the ultimate modern metal amp, but more gain than I'll need for sure. I'll keep posting as long as I play with it!

Attachments:
ht5r.jpg
ht5r.jpg [ 102.98 KiB | Viewed 560 times ]

Guitars: Jackson USA SL2H Trans Green w/ Dimarzio Tone Zone, Liquid Fire, Fender Telecaster American Standard Sunburst w/ BareKnuckle Blackguard Flat 50s, Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II Midnight Ebony w/ SD SH1 and SH5, LTD H-1007, Partscaster (Hacend-Axe) w/ Dimarzio Air Zone, Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues and Air Norton S, Ibanez AEG10BK
Amps: Marshall JVM410C: TAD Highgrade Premium Selected V1, TAD Premium Selected V2, TAD Standard V3, EH V4, Blackstar HT-5R, Roland DAC-15D, Marshall MS-2
Effects/Pedals: Dunlop DVP1, Dunlop JH-1 Wah, Budda Wah, EHX Small Clone Chorus, Boss DD-3, MXR Carbon Copy, ISP Decimator G-String, Several Joyo
Pedalboard: Pedaltrain Pro, CIOKS DC10, G-Lab GSC-3

My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/DavidSL2H

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:25 pm 
Private Parties

5 watts are cool,i nearly got one of these a few weeks back & probably would have if I did not find the lionheart 5 watter,i played my mates blackstar & thought it was pretty good, enjoy [smilie=headbang.gif]

Mxr wylde Od
Digitech screamin' blues
Digitech multi chorus
tc electronic flashback x 4
Line 6 M5 Stomp box modeller

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:41 am 
Club Circuit

That Lionheart was among my options but finally decided to purchase this one because of ... mainly the price [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]

The clean channel can get very loud and the overdrive one even more, I don't know it the volume is enough to play "against" a drummer or getting to that level would lead the speaker and the cab to rattle, but for playing in small clubs that feature electronic drums, more than enough.

Keep on tasting the OD [smilie=headbang.gif]

Guitars: Jackson USA SL2H Trans Green w/ Dimarzio Tone Zone, Liquid Fire, Fender Telecaster American Standard Sunburst w/ BareKnuckle Blackguard Flat 50s, Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II Midnight Ebony w/ SD SH1 and SH5, LTD H-1007, Partscaster (Hacend-Axe) w/ Dimarzio Air Zone, Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues and Air Norton S, Ibanez AEG10BK
Amps: Marshall JVM410C: TAD Highgrade Premium Selected V1, TAD Premium Selected V2, TAD Standard V3, EH V4, Blackstar HT-5R, Roland DAC-15D, Marshall MS-2
Effects/Pedals: Dunlop DVP1, Dunlop JH-1 Wah, Budda Wah, EHX Small Clone Chorus, Boss DD-3, MXR Carbon Copy, ISP Decimator G-String, Several Joyo

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:16 pm 
Arena

Nice little beasty!

Yamaha THR10
Big box 2x12 cabs with V30's and Celestion G12T-75's, 3x12 Projector cab with classic 80's
Hamer USA Sunburst Standard, Music Man Axis, Gibson Les Paul Standard, Gibson Explorer Trad Pro, Gibson Classic DC, Gordon Smith Graduate 60, Graduate Slimline, Explorer and Gypsy 1.5, Fernandes STJ75, 'Fredster' Telecaster
Nobels midi controller, Cry Baby Wah, Boss CE-3 Fromel modded, TS 808 clone, 3 x Digitech iStomps, TC Flashback, TC HOF, Line 6 M5 Stompbox Modeler in loop, Nobels Pre1 Boost

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:32 am 
Private Parties

I aint tried an ht-5 loud so can't comment on that,but the lionheart will go toe to toe with our drummer & he hits.

if you like gain then the ht-5 will probably appeal more as mines more of a classic voiced amp,but for the price that Blackstar is great [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]

Mxr wylde Od
Digitech screamin' blues
Digitech multi chorus
tc electronic flashback x 4
Line 6 M5 Stomp box modeller

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:08 pm 
Club Circuit

So far, I'm more than happy with the purchase. I had been almost six months playing through the POD at home and spending A LOT of time trying to get a nice tone, now it took me two days to find the sweet spot on this one, it's high gain, not enough for the modern metal stuff but a cheap Joyo Vintage Overdrive fixes it completely.

At low volumes (I start practising at 6:30 in the morning!) it performs very well although at mid volume is where I usually feel it more comfortable.