Love my Blackstart HT1-M (metal)

Moderators: jim renolds, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

cmedcoff
Garage Band

Love my Blackstart HT1-M (metal)

Post by cmedcoff » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:13 am

I'm not a metal player, but I do like good heavy rock. For example we just added Stone Temple Pilots Plush to our set list so I was working on that yesterday during my home practice. This amp works very well for this type of tone. The amp couldn't be much simpler. Gain, volume, ISF (kind of like a 1 knob tone), reverb and a 'mode' switch.

I basically set this thing up with gain 1/2 way up, volume all the way up (its a 1 watt amp), ISF about 2:00 o clock, reverb at 12:00 and mode switch on high gain/dirty. While I can't exactly get a clean sound, I can roll the volume back to get a somewhat touch sensitive broken up sound, rolling up to fat but not flubby sound with lots of high gain, saturation, pretty compressed dirty, creamy but with some edge/bite lead sound.

If I turn the gain back or switch to the "clean" mode, which isn't that clean with my gain settings, I can get a nice broken up fat tone but not too overdrive like Moby Dick, classic rock sort of sound.

I wish I could get this type of setup/sound in a one 12 sized combo, but with channel/mode switch with a clean sound (aka three channels) and an effects loop with a power adjustable, 1 watt, 5 watt, 15 watt, 25 watt, etc.

My JVM is kind of like this but without the power adjustment (I'd like to get my power amp to breakup and contribute to tone without melting myself), and too much weight to carry around (410C).

Anyone know an amp that will do and sound like this? I thinking about taking a look at the PRS archon 25 - hard to find locally.

Jackie
World Tour

Re: Love my Blackstart HT1-M (metal)

Post by Jackie » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:21 pm

The Hayden MoFo 30 might be up your alley. Not sure if the new one is just a "re-skin" or if it also sounds different, but if I were in the market for a <50W lunchbox amp, this is the one I'd get. Sounds great, has FX, capable of cleans, also has solo boost and adjustable power.
Tonemeister wrote:there is sooo much that the JVM can be...
GUITARS:
Modded Epiphone Goth Explorer w/BKP Nailbombs; Jackson KVMG Pro; Yamaha SG2000; Gibson SG '61 Reissue; Squier Classic Vibe Tele; Yamaha LLX6A
AMPS&CABS:
Marshall JVM410H (EH V1/V5; Chinese 12AX7B V2-V4; -ve fdbk mod, choke mod, plexi cap mod)
ENGL Savage 120 mk I; Marshall 1960A cab w/V30; Yamaha THR10v2
FX:
BOSS GT-6, Keeley-modded Dunlop Crybaby Wah
MISC:
Proel Esoteric cables, Ernie Ball strings; Dunlop Ultex Sharp picks, craft beer