Looking to upgrade my Les Paul

If it is on your fiddle - it should be here...

Moderators: Dark Horse, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

amt7565
Pub Band

Looking to upgrade my Les Paul

Post by amt7565 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:55 pm

I have an LP traditional Pro. I believe it has the 57s with silver covers on them. It's a truly wonderful guitar and enjoy every aspect of it.

Right now, I am exploring purchasing another LP, but with more gain.

Any recommendations on humbucker equipped LPs that can provide a little more aggressive gain and fluidity?

I will be using it in conjunction with my JVM410.

AMT [smilie=icon_cool.gif]

sloan_amps
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Looking to upgrade my Les Paul

Post by sloan_amps » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:51 pm

I upgraded the pickups in my Les Paul Traditional to Bareknuckle Nailbombs. It still has that great Les Paul tone but with more gain and tighter low end. It was the perfect match for that guitar. I also upgraded the pickups in my Les Paul Custom to Seymour Duncan Saturday Night Specials. Not as much gain as the Nailbombs but still more aggressive than the 57 Classics it had.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Greg_L
Club Circuit

Post by Greg_L » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:43 am

Fluidity again? Lol.

If you want another Les Paul, look for a late 90s Les Paul Classic. They came with 500T pickups, which are the hottest most gnarliest pickups to ever come in a Les Paul. I hate those pickups, but they are indeed very hot. I don't think any recent or current Les Pauls come with any pickups considered "hot".

And the 90s Classics had a very slim neck...so maybe that can help with your "fluidity".
My gear list? Do a search.

amt7565
Pub Band

Post by amt7565 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:21 pm

Bah yes 'fluidity', like water, like butter.

My birthday is hitting a critical milestone in a couple of months and I will be looking for one.

Did you mean this one?
https://reverb.com/item/4606541-gibson- ... arent-2011

Greg_L
Club Circuit

Post by Greg_L » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:01 pm

amt7565 wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:21 pm
Bah yes 'fluidity', like water, like butter.

My birthday is hitting a critical milestone in a couple of months and I will be looking for one.

Did you mean this one?
https://reverb.com/item/4606541-gibson- ... arent-2011
Yes, that's one right there.

You don't have to spend that much though. There are many clean late 90s/early 00s models out there for much less. I'm thinking you could find one around $1100 or so if you look around. They're great guitars.

amt7565
Pub Band

Post by amt7565 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:03 am

Looked up a demo and they do sound great. This guy has an EVH sound on his:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg92uQAXFrc

Greg_L
Club Circuit

Post by Greg_L » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:40 pm

amt7565 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:03 am
Looked up a demo and they do sound great. This guy has an EVH sound on his:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg92uQAXFrc
I wonder how one learns to play like that.

amt7565
Pub Band

Post by amt7565 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:12 pm

So went to GC today and absolutely loved this 2017 Gold HP series Classic. It is 'Used' in immaculate condition priced at $1899.00. See attached picture.

Played it through a 5150. The strings are 9s and plays very well.

I am not sure what these pickups are though. The store personnel think its the same as the Zebra 57, just that they are black instead of black/white. But when looking up the Gibson website, it does not show a 2017 Classic model with these pickups. Instead they have the silver plated pickups. Just want to make sure that the pickups have not been swapped with something I don't know of.

Anyone can shed some light on what these pickups pictured are?

thanks
Attachments
Les Paul Gold.jpg

Greg_L
Club Circuit

Post by Greg_L » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:09 pm

amt7565 wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:12 pm
So went to GC today and absolutely loved this 2017 Gold HP series Classic. It is 'Used' in immaculate condition priced at $1899.00. See attached picture.

Played it through a 5150. The strings are 9s and plays very well.

I am not sure what these pickups are though. The store personnel think its the same as the Zebra 57, just that they are black instead of black/white. But when looking up the Gibson website, it does not show a 2017 Classic model with these pickups. Instead they have the silver plated pickups. Just want to make sure that the pickups have not been swapped with something I don't know of.

Anyone can shed some light on what these pickups pictured are?

thanks
There is no telling what those pickups are. I'd suggest you have GC remove them so you can investigate. There will likely be some kind of identification under the baseplates. If GC wants to sell the guitar, they will oblige your request. They may say "just buy it and return it if you don't like it", which is valid, but try to pressure them beforehand.

amt7565
Pub Band

Post by amt7565 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:47 pm

OK so they opened it last night and discovered that they were Slash pickups. The prior owner that returned it had changed the PUs and also the tone controls to match the PU. In addition the tuners were also changed. Though it sounded fantastic, I decided not buy it for worry of having to resell it some time in the future and the hassle of having to explain why the PUs are not originals.

So I ended up getting a brand new Gold Classic instead(not HP) with the Zebras. They are setting it up right now and I am going to pick it up.

I traded in my EVH Wolfgang and got a pretty good deal out of it. I will use the 45 day trial to check it out.

The classic neck is a lot easier to play indeed.

thanks for your assistance to date.

Greg_L
Club Circuit

Post by Greg_L » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:14 pm

amt7565 wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:47 pm
OK so they opened it last night and discovered that they were Slash pickups. The prior owner that returned it had changed the PUs and also the tone controls to match the PU. In addition the tuners were also changed. Though it sounded fantastic, I decided not buy it for worry of having to resell it some time in the future and the hassle of having to explain why the PUs are not originals.

So I ended up getting a brand new Gold Classic instead(not HP) with the Zebras. They are setting it up right now and I am going to pick it up.

I traded in my EVH Wolfgang and got a pretty good deal out of it. I will use the 45 day trial to check it out.

The classic neck is a lot easier to play indeed.

thanks for your assistance to date.
Awesome! Congratulations.

The pickups in your new guitar should be 57 Classics. Really nice pickups IMO. Not very hot though. But they are very rich and clear with great midrange. Nice punch to them.