Floyd Rose’s noiseless springs

If it is on your fiddle - it should be here...

Moderators: jim renolds, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

Jshannon3
Garage Band

Floyd Rose’s noiseless springs

Post by Jshannon3 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:00 am

Have any of y’all used the noiseless springs on your Floyd rose tremelo system and noticed a difference in sound and quality of sound? They claim these noiseless springs take all the spring noise out of your tremelo system and give your guitar a crisp, clean sound. Well I bought a set of the standard black(they have 3 kinds black, red, green)black for standard, red for heavy duty strings, and green, I don’t know what the green ones do. I know I spent 16.99 on a set of black ones for my ESP E2 M2 Urban Camo Guitar that has an expired electronics and hardware warranty, to find out. You can find them at www.floydrose.com under the upgrades tab. Floyd claims it is an upgrade, so i’m gonna find out. They also have a couple of other upgrades like sustain blocks in titanium,brass, and tungsten(which would b a major tear down to install)they also have brass, stainless steel, and titanium hardware for the Floyd original. I also was thinking of trying the titanium insert string blocks and locking screws, that will be like 50 bucks right there, to beef up my Floyd and they say it will resonate better too....who knows, their the masters of sound having the best tremelo ever invented. We will see what happens....
Jim Shannon
jshannon3@yahoo.com
ESP E2 M2 Urban Camo guitars (2)
ESP LTD MH330FMFR guitar
Marshall JVM410H
Marshall MX412A/B Cabs
Marshall Code 50
Boss effects pedals

Greg_L
Club Circuit

Re: Floyd Rose’s noiseless springs

Post by Greg_L » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:09 am

Or just save your money and not throw it away on gimmicks.
My gear list? Do a search.

Jshannon3
Garage Band

Post by Jshannon3 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:54 am

Update: I burned the money(16.99) and bought the noiseless springs from Floyd Rose. Installation was easy just used my handy dandy multi tool Gerber pliers to remove the old springs one at a time and install a new one in its place. Be prepared to make a few adjustments when installing new springs cause the tensions are a little different. I noticed first that my Floyd wasn’t parallel with the body after spring install and the guitar was a little sharp. So I adjusted the screws on the claw and that brought the Floyd back up and the tuning down all in one adjustment. Once I got the Floyd parallel and the guitar in tune, I noticed my string height was a little high, so I got out my handy string height gauge(Amazon 8.00)and adjusted it down to around 1.75 mm, in spec. So now I decided to play the guitar to see if there was any difference, I played, no difference, maybe you have to be at loud volumes to not notice spring noise, but I can’t do that now, it’s to late to fire up the JVM410H the cops will show up. I got band practice tomorrow so I’ll listen then. I don’t know if it was a good buy or not, but I was only 17.00 dollars so I’m not out much, I’ll check in again.....
Jim Shannon
jshannon3@yahoo.com
ESP LTD MH330FMFR guitar
Marshall JVM410H
Marshall MX412A/B Cabs
Marshall Code 50
Boss effects pedals

Greg_L
Club Circuit

Post by Greg_L » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:22 pm

Go to a hobby store, look through an old box, tear open a teddy bear, do something that will get you some light-duty foam. That's what fixes your problem. Take your stock every day springs and stuff them with strips of foam. You have to mute the springs some way but still allow them to function as springs. Foam does the trick.

Jshannon3
Garage Band

Post by Jshannon3 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:11 pm

Update: one thing I do notice on guitar #1, the guitar with the noiseless springs, is that when you make a quick stop while playing, it’s utter silence. No ringing, no humming, no machine noise, nothing. On guitar # 2, which is still stock, you have that little bit of machine noise, ringing when you make that quick stop. Just a little bit, I can hear it. If you play Megadeth’s symphony of destruction, you can really hear the background noise. Also on guitar #1 my power chords and all chords in general seem to sound fatter and punchy especially on the jvm410h. I’m gonna invest in a set of springs for the #2 guitar and install them(it’s only 16.99), I know it voids the warranty(ESP warranty, AMS warranty)but I’ll keep the original springs just in case I need to put them back in. The foam idea sounds like a good one but I don’t want to put anything in the cavity that will absorb moisture, cause I sweat a lot when playing, and moisture leads to corrosion, and that back cover ain’t water tight. I’ve played many a guitar that I’ve sweated on that sweat has got past that back cover. As part of my maintenance schedule for my guitars is anti-corrosion (WD-40) in the guitar’s cavitys brushed on lightly. Man it gets hot on stage!!! And I tend to play with my shirt off to stay cool. Sweat is the number 1 cause of corrosion on guitars, especially on the tremelo finish and springs and electronics, the woods are protected by lemon oil and paint scheme.
Jim Shannon
jshannon3@yahoo.com
ESP LTD MH330FMFR guitar
Marshall JVM410H
Marshall MX412A/B Cabs
Marshall Code 50
Boss effects pedals

WastedLimbs
Beginner
Beginner

Post by WastedLimbs » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:38 pm

I was about to say about foam under the springs, but looks like I've already been beaten to it [smilie=icon_razz.gif]

I'd like to know how they compare to the foam, sounds like it could be a nice little comparison using the second guitar :)
Amps
Marshall JVM410h (Currently unmodded). ENGL Powerball I V2 (The one with the decent noise gate), Randall RG1503h, Marshall TSL60, Marshall Valvestate 8100, Marshall Valvestate 8080, Orange Micro Dark

All goes into a Palmer 2x12 loaded with a Celestion V30 and an Eminence Swamp Thang

Guitars
Parker P42, Ibanez DN500, Ibanez RC320, Gibson Les Paul Faded 2016, Epiphone Les Paul Custom + many more

Greg_L
Club Circuit

Post by Greg_L » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:24 pm

WastedLimbs wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:38 pm
I was about to say about foam under the springs, but looks like I've already been beaten to it [smilie=icon_razz.gif]

Not under the springs....inside the springs. Pack it inside the actual coils. It works for Strats, it'll also work on some wanky Floyd Rose.

WastedLimbs
Beginner
Beginner

Post by WastedLimbs » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:05 am

Greg_L wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:24 pm
Not under the springs....inside the springs. Pack it inside the actual coils. It works for Strats, it'll also work on some wanky Floyd Rose.
Misread that there then, sorry. Definitely gonna give it a try on my strat :)
Amps
Marshall JVM410h (Currently unmodded). ENGL Powerball I V2 (The one with the decent noise gate), Randall RG1503h, Marshall TSL60, Marshall Valvestate 8100, Marshall Valvestate 8080, Orange Micro Dark

All goes into a Palmer 2x12 loaded with a Celestion V30 and an Eminence Swamp Thang

Guitars
Parker P42, Ibanez DN500, Ibanez RC320, Gibson Les Paul Faded 2016, Epiphone Les Paul Custom + many more