When do you call your 9 volt battery for your active pick-ups dead?

If it is on your fiddle - it should be here...

Moderators: jim renolds, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

Jshannon3
Garage Band

When do you call your 9 volt battery for your active pick-ups dead?

Post by Jshannon3 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:48 am

So when do you replace your battery for your pickups? Wait til the middle of a show and your sound craps out due to poor maintenance on your guitar? I’ve been reading up on this and the consensus says the 9 volt battery starts to go dead at 80% of its voltage capacity, that’s 7.2 volts. I guess you should set up in your maintenance schedule to change out a battery that is any where near 7-7.5 volts just to be safe. I run Procell alkaline in my guitars, and every 3 months I check the voltage on the battery with a digital multimeter along with general maintenance and string change. My LTD guitar came up on its yearly maintenance inspection, so it got the works polish, fretboard oil, cavity cleaning, new strings, and of course the battery Check, it was 8.49 volts DC, I wasn’t worried about that, that’s a good voltage for a 9 volt, so I plugged it back in for another 3 months of service when I will check it again. I guess that I’m trying to avoid embarrassment on stage with a battery failure that could have been prevented with proper maintenance checks, cause I know all to well what it’s like to have a battery failure because I ignored a few minutes of my time to care for my instrument(s) and do a little preventative maintenance. What do you guys know on the matter of batteries and replacing them, everybody, including manufactures, says something different, what’s your thoughts?
Jim Shannon
jshannon3@yahoo.com
ESP E2 M2 Urban Camo guitars (2)
ESP LTD MH330FMFR guitar
Marshall JVM410H
Marshall MX412A/B Cabs
Marshall Code 50
Boss effects pedals

Greg_L
Club Circuit

Re: When do you call your 9 volt battery for your active pick-ups dead?

Post by Greg_L » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:21 am

The best thing to do about active pickups and battery life is to rip them out and put passive pickups in their place.
My gear list? Do a search.

Jshannon3
Garage Band

Post by Jshannon3 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:54 pm

Update: I just did my 3 month maintenance to my number 2 ESP E2 M2 Urban Camo Guitar in which I installed new Procell 9V Battery in back in December, I took a voltage reading and it had 8.94 volts, which is excellent for 3 months worth of use. I’ve been to the studio, practices, and played a lot at home. I know that I have every bit of 100 hrs of playing on it, maybe more. I’m real impressed with the Procell battery too, I’ve tried other 9 volts and their usually drained more than that after 3 months, but performing good maintenance is the key to longevity and performance.
Jim Shannon
jshannon3@yahoo.com
ESP E2 M2 Urban Camo guitars (2)
ESP LTD MH330FMFR guitar
Marshall JVM410H
Marshall MX412A/B Cabs
Marshall Code 50
Boss effects pedals

okgb
Club Circuit

Post by okgb » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:51 pm

It's a good question, no one leaves them in long enough to find out at what voltage they crap out
Amps JVM 410H [too many mods to mention ] '73 50w lead, 70's vibrochamp , mesa mkIII U.S. Vox pacemaker
Rock , pop rock & Blues style's mainly played
Gtr's Musicanman " Luke " wolfgang [ carved top w pearly gates ] Hondo lazer , Warmoth strat
Fx t.c. 2290 , Lexicon tc verb
Pedals tbone plexi , t.c. chorus , various handmade & usual suspects t.s. , zen , CB wah ..........

okgb
Club Circuit

Post by okgb » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:58 pm

Also they should be checked under load , i.e, in the circuit the voltage will drop a little in that condition
Amps JVM 410H [too many mods to mention ] '73 50w lead, 70's vibrochamp , mesa mkIII U.S. Vox pacemaker
Rock , pop rock & Blues style's mainly played
Gtr's Musicanman " Luke " wolfgang [ carved top w pearly gates ] Hondo lazer , Warmoth strat
Fx t.c. 2290 , Lexicon tc verb
Pedals tbone plexi , t.c. chorus , various handmade & usual suspects t.s. , zen , CB wah ..........

mohi
Club Circuit

Post by mohi » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:01 pm

Check here:

https://www.emgpickups.com/media/produc ... -0190c.pdf

I got rid of all my actives (maybe it comes with aging) but when had them, at 7.5V or So replaced the batteries.
Marshall JVM410C: TAD HPS V1, TAD PS V2, TAD Std V3, EH V4, Mods: Plexi Cap, Choke, K77
Marshall YJM100
Marshall JCM800 1981