Looking for suitable 2U rack case to sit between head and cab

Stuff that alters the sound going in or out of the amp, JVM Loops, XLR Out, Line Out, Stereo setup with 2 amps, Midi

Moderators: Dark Horse, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

DavidJ
Beginner
Beginner

Looking for suitable 2U rack case to sit between head and cab

Post by DavidJ » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:37 am

Hi

Can’t think where else to post this - feel free to move it if needed.

I'm planning to get a G major 2 to use with my JV205H and 1936 cab. I'd like to sit the Gmajor and a rack tuner in a 2U rack case on top of the cab and then put the head on top. I've tried a Gator ABS case that I already have and it's ok-ish but looks a mess - ie it's too narrow and is not as stable as I'd like.

Nothing wrong with the Gator case of course it just a standard shape for 2U.

Anyone aware of a solution? Ie a wider flight case that takes standard rack mount items, but has a shape more matched to the top of a speaker cab.

Thanks David

DalyCro
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Looking for suitable 2U rack case to sit between head and cab

Post by DalyCro » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:02 pm

The best bet would be to find someone near you who produces flight cases and order one with dimensions that suits you. (with rubber feet and holes on top for feet of your amp head). And if you decide to go that way then make 1U more, you will thank me later. :)
I bet the price of that one will be no more than any better factory made 2U case. Or, try make one by yourself with aluminium or steel "L" profiles and a bit of plywood. Another idea could be a rack mount shelf from computer racks.
JVM 205H (OD2>OD1 mod), Marshall 4x12 Greeback 25. SG standard. LP Bonamassa sig. Strat 60's custom with BK Mother's milk and Emerson blend mode electronics. Tele CV custom with BK Yardbirds.

DavidJ
Beginner
Beginner

Post by DavidJ » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:52 pm

Thanks for suggestion - I’m guessing this means you are not aware of a standard product? What do most people do - or am I just odd to be bothered about it?

Ps are you recommending 3u to accommodate future gear or for ventilation?😎

DalyCro
Beginner
Beginner

Post by DalyCro » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:43 am

Well I saw 2 custom racks just like the one you are talking about, 2x12 box, rack and amp head on top of it. Rack is the same width as the cabinet and amp and it looks awesome. Why 3U, because one of the unit was power conditioner, and they said it's a must if you are gigging.
JVM 205H (OD2>OD1 mod), Marshall 4x12 Greeback 25. SG standard. LP Bonamassa sig. Strat 60's custom with BK Mother's milk and Emerson blend mode electronics. Tele CV custom with BK Yardbirds.

Spacerocker
Club Circuit

Post by Spacerocker » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:04 pm

I never managed to find one - which is surprising, really, as there must be a market?

I just use a normal 4u rack - looks a bit odd, but it does the job!

Image[/url]DSC_3658 by lightspeed3, on Flickr[/img]
Amps: Marshall JVM410: Hotter Bias, Plexi mod, 10H choke, Stiffness Mod, Neg Feedback Mod to 2203 spec, Tone stack Mods to 2203 spec, "Anti-Compression" mod, dBx 31 band graphic in loop, Marshall AVT20 Valvestate practice amp, Marshall 1980 2203, 2 x 1936 Cabs, 1968 Orignal 4 x 12 Cab with Greenbacks
Guitars: Les Paul Traditional, Fender HM Strat x 2 with Dimarzio Evolution Humbucker, Fender Standard Strat
Effects: Morley Wah/Volume Pedal. Behringer Vintage Phaser, TC G-Major, Alesis Midiverb. Behringer FCB1010 Midi Foot Controller