Trouble changing JVM Default Midi Channel to 6 (or other)

Stuff that alters the sound going in or out of the amp, JVM Loops, XLR Out, Line Out, Stereo setup with 2 amps, Midi

Moderators: Dark Horse, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

ramonetl
Beginner
Beginner

Trouble changing JVM Default Midi Channel to 6 (or other)

Post by ramonetl » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:27 am

Hi all, I have a JVM410H head that I previously was using with the footswitch. I got an ES-8 and already have my Mesa working with an external Midi unit but I cannot for the life of me get the damn jvm midi channel changed. I follow the instructions to hold the midi button while I turn on the amp but it doesnt flash. There is like a brief red light and so it never gets the midi message to reset the channel to 6 which because of my configuration I cant use 1. None of my other hardware has issues and no matter what I try i cannot get it to blink so that I can send the message to change the channel to 6. I have already reset the factory defaults and this is driving me crazy. Anyone else do this and am I missing something? There is not much to the manual and the instructions are straightforward. They just dont work for me and Im feeling dumb and frustrated. Thanks. Peter

gtrjunior
Private Parties

Re: Trouble changing JVM Default Midi Channel to 6 (or other)

Post by gtrjunior » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:19 pm

Possible bad midi cable?

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:42 pm

this post might be useful for you

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8489&p=88734 though seems both devices want to be the master / easiest to set up a certain way
::: JVM410 head,modded:- Hammond 5H choke, 2 tubes pulled, 37.5mv bias :: Caseys Mods :- Plexi cap, -ve feedback, Dual Rectifier, Blackface, 1 wire Randy Rhoads, Plexi, Metaled Out ModPI Boost, OD Channel Gain Reduction Mod
::: AFD100, DSL100W head (no C83), Fender Champ 12
::: 1960AV 2xgreenbacks 2xG12H30, homemade 2x12 cab 2x Celestion Golds (100W)
::: Gibson Les Paul Standard, Dimarzio SD bridge Pup,Standard neck Pup.
::: Tokai Strat with Dimarzio SD, Epi SG-400 Iommi, Hondo Les Paul, Alhambra Acoustic fishman Pup
::: PodXTLive fully loaded, Vox V848 Clyde McCoy Wah Wah, Korg Pitchblack and Snark Tuners

It's better to fail in Originality than to succeed in Imitation ...

ramonetl
Beginner
Beginner

Post by ramonetl » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:07 pm

Thanks guys. I have tried the steps listed and that is where i hit the wall. When I do step 5 and hold the midi change button and power on the server it never flashes. I did a reset previously and I know that I configured a marshall footswitch in the past but I can never get it to go to the midi learn step where the midi button should be flashing per step 5 of the post from the marshall handbook the poster listed in that article. Since I cannot get the marshall to the learn point I cannot send a channel 6 message. Any thoughts on that?

1) Send a message from your Ground Control. Does the amp respond? Yes? All good, rock on. No? Go to step 2.

2) Switch the amplifier off (Power switch, not Standby).

3) Press and hold the FOOTSWITCH / MIDI PROGRAM switch.

4) Switch the amplifier on (Power switch).

5) Release the FOOTSWITCH / MIDI PROGRAM switch, the LED will start to flash.

ramonetl
Beginner
Beginner

Post by ramonetl » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:42 am

I never did get the amp to change the midi channel so i just finally used channel 1 the default. Im disappointed that it was impossible to reset this but it works fine with my es-8 if I stick to the default. Probably should have just done that to start but hey I had big dreams of changing the default. :)

LG
Private Parties

Post by LG » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:09 am

Did the same with my JVM's. The ES-8 allows for this situation though with it's Patch MIDI 1, Patch MIDI 2...etc. I set my TimeFactor to Channel 2 and my PithFactor to Channel 3 and just use three different Patch MIDI assigns per preset in the ES (1 for JVM's, 2 for TF and 3 for the PF). I just set my Eventide send/transmit channels in the MIDI setup of those units. I will admit it does get easier as you keep familiarizing yourself with each unit. Plus You Tube....yes You Tube! Good Luck with it!
Amps/ Marshall JVM 410H+210H (OD to OD1 mod) Both NOS Mullard (V2)
Guitars/ 04'Gibson Custom Shop LP Standard, 95'Gibson LP Standard, 2012 Gibson LP Traditional, 93'Washburn N4 Padauk, 2017 Gibson EDS-1275, 98'Warwick Corvette FNA, 2014 Taylor 526ce
Cabinets/ 3-4x12 Marshall 1960 B cabs,
FX/ Eventide PitchFactor+TimeFactor, Turbo Tuner, EVH Phase 90, Hardwire TR-7, Crybaby 535 Chrome,Modded Cantrell, Wilson Effects Custom 12 POS Wah, Friedman BE-OD, Voodoo Lab Ground Control+GCX, BOSS ES-8, BOSS MS-3
Road Cases/ Crown Cases, NGM
SAE Certified Audio Engineer

http://www.axisfiveband.com

ramonetl
Beginner
Beginner

Post by ramonetl » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:33 pm

Yeah i hear ya. Problem was the JVM was the last thing I went to configure and I already had a bunch of stuff assigned to midi 1. I just finally sucked it up and went through all my presets. BTW how are you running the fx loop with that? I have two amps I switch between so I think I may use the send and return of channel 8 on the es-8 for the second send and return.