Can Pedal power supplies cause noise in the signal

Stuff that alters the sound going in or out of the amp, JVM Loops, XLR Out, Line Out, Stereo setup with 2 amps, Midi

Moderators: jim renolds, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

Jshannon3
Garage Band

Can Pedal power supplies cause noise in the signal

Post by Jshannon3 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:20 pm

Can you get noise in your guitar signal from a bad pedal power supply? I got this ringing noise in my signal, I've tried isolating all the pedals down to one, the noise seems to chase whatever is plugged in, i can isolate the pedal board completely and plug directly in and it goes away. I checked each pedal(single)on another amp and they all sound good, i checked all pedals individually on my jvm and they all sound good....I'm beginning to look at the power supply here, any suggestion???? Its a cheap armor tone 2000ma pedal supply with 10 plug in spider cable, so 20 bucks to replace is not as expensive as replacing a pedal...
Jim Shannon
jshannon3@yahoo.com
ESP E2 M2 Urban Camo guitars (2)
ESP LTD MH330FMFR guitar
Marshall JVM410H
Marshall MX412A/B Cabs
Marshall Code 50
Boss effects pedals

DalyCro
Private Parties

Re: Can Pedal power supplies cause noise in the signal

Post by DalyCro » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:39 am

Yes. Noise is mostly created by low quality power supplies and/or daisy chain. Not to mention low quality patch cables.
Add to that low quality pedals and you get cacophony.

On this website you can find a lot about power supplies: http://stinkfoot.se/
JVM 205H (OD2>OD1 mod; -ve fb), Marshall 4x12 Greeback 25. SG standard. LP Bonamassa sig. Strat 60's custom with BK Mother's Milk and Emerson blend mode electronics.

mohi
Club Circuit

Post by mohi » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:36 am

You will most likely get ground loops, specially if the outputs of the supply are not isolated and you feed with it pedals both in front and in the FX Loop.
Marshall JVM410C: TAD HPS V1, TAD PS V2, TAD Std V3, EH V4, Mods: Plexi Cap, Choke, K77
Marshall YJM100
Marshall JCM800 1981

Jshannon3
Garage Band

Post by Jshannon3 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:41 am

Update: The sound was coming from the daisy chain pedal supply chord, once I changed that everything changed. There must have been a short in the cable, I’ll have to hook up my handy dandy megger to it and check it, but once I swapped for a new one”poof’ noise gone. Now I can start putting pedals back that I thought were suspect, and now I have a back up power supply. Yay!! [smilie=icon_razz.gif]
Jim Shannon
jshannon3@yahoo.com
ESP E2 M2 Urban Camo guitars (2)
ESP LTD MH330FMFR guitar
Marshall JVM410H
Marshall MX412A/B Cabs
Marshall Code 50
Boss effects pedals