Designing New Effects Pedals

Stuff that alters the sound going in or out of the amp, JVM Loops, XLR Out, Line Out, Stereo setup with 2 amps, Midi

Moderators: jim renolds, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

okgb
Club Circuit

Re: Designing New Effects Pedals

Post by okgb » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:11 pm

this maybe a case of what NOT to name your pedals, some offered here for amusement!

MyKomp , this one will need a Oppression control!

The word drive in the overdrive box ? too used not unique enough? something Drive
some variation of heat or burn , Conductive drive , Productive drive

Cheque casher!

Any sexiness in adding numbers to the model names? Svr 105 crs 256

The Vibrator of course, K I'll think a little harder , How to be sexy & serious & exciting at the same time .......

Names will give them a stronger identity , though you do have the AXiom brand name
Amps JVM 410H [too many mods to mention ] '73 50w lead, 70's vibrochamp , mesa mkIII U.S. Vox pacemaker
Rock , pop rock & Blues style's mainly played
Gtr's Musicanman " Luke " wolfgang [ carved top w pearly gates ] Hondo lazer , Warmoth strat
Fx t.c. 2290 , Lexicon tc verb
Pedals tbone plexi , t.c. chorus , various handmade & usual suspects t.s. , zen , CB wah ..........

Casey_Butt
Arena

Post by Casey_Butt » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:28 pm

Well, the "Omega Vibe" had to get it's own flashy name because it's a Uni-Vibe type pedal and there is no category for Uni-Vibe other than Uni-Vibe... which is also a brand name. I was forced with that one. ;)
_ JVM410H: "Blackface" Clean channel, "Plexi" Crunch channel, "Dual Rec" OD2 channel, 3rd stage bias pot with switchable 100nF bypass cap, switchable 470k/470pF "treble peaker", OD1/2 Orange and Red extra gain pot, signal boost into power amp, PI voltage set to 2203 levels, 5H choke w/ 50uF on screens, -ve feedback pot.
_ Marshall 2203/1959 clone - switchable (with FX loop, resonance control and -ve fb pot) built from a Peavey Windsor 'donor' head
_ Fender Deluxe Reverb clone head
_ ADA MP-1, ART Power Plant, Tech 21 PSA-1
_ 1960A cab w/ Celestion G12-65s and G12-75Ts in X-pattern, Peavey JSX cab with Celestion G12M's (UK 6402 cones)
_ Fender Pro 185 (rebuilt) - open back 2x12" with Jensen C12Ks

okgb
Club Circuit

Post by okgb » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:17 pm

That's not bad, Alpha drive ? or Money Maker
buy this pedal or I shoot the Dog!
Amps JVM 410H [too many mods to mention ] '73 50w lead, 70's vibrochamp , mesa mkIII U.S. Vox pacemaker
Gtr's Musicanman " Luke " wolfgang [ carved top w pearly gates ] Hondo lazer , Warmoth strat
Pedals tbone plexi , t.c. chorus , various handmade & usual suspects t.s. , zen , CB wah ..........

Casey_Butt
Arena

Post by Casey_Butt » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:02 pm

I decided to rework the flanger in a few areas to make it a cleaner design. And while I'm at it, I'm seriously considering a "through-zero flanging" design. The whole point of the "AXiom" line is to improve upon the classic effects and bring them into the 21st century in terms of performance standards and features, so I don't want to depart too far from the golden era of analog flangers in terms of character, but I was wondering what forum member's thoughts are of through-zero flangers? I'm pretty sure they haven't sold well for the few other makers who've put them out (even Foxrox who seems to have originated it), but I'm also pretty sure I can implement the through-zero feature as an option that can simply be turned off without having any significant impact on the classic flanger effect. Some people seem to regard it as the holy grail of flanging, others say they were either disappointed or rarely use it. I figure if you can dial it in or out at will then you have the best of both worlds.

AXiom Flange-Chorus FC-1 - Copy.jpg
AXiom Flange-Chorus FC-1 - Copy.jpg (81.53 KiB) Viewed 160 times
_ JVM410H: "Blackface" Clean channel, "Plexi" Crunch channel, "Dual Rec" OD2 channel, 3rd stage bias pot with switchable 100nF bypass cap, switchable 470k/470pF "treble peaker", OD1/2 Orange and Red extra gain pot, signal boost into power amp, PI voltage set to 2203 levels, 5H choke w/ 50uF on screens, -ve feedback pot.
_ Marshall 2203/1959 clone - switchable (with FX loop, resonance control and -ve fb pot) built from a Peavey Windsor 'donor' head
_ 1960A cab w/ Celestion G12-65s and G12-75Ts in X-pattern, Peavey JSX cab with Celestion G12M's (UK 6402 cones)

okgb
Club Circuit

Post by okgb » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:10 am

There's no other way to get that sound right ? [ a small delay in the direct signal so the flanging occurs on both sides of the delay ? ]
or is it where the flanging starts in the sweep cycle , I'll have to see what I have that digitally does that,
For those who forgot or hadn't considered it, here's a discussion with moving graphs !
https://www.mrblackpedals.com/blogs/str ... t-flanging

where are flangers on the sales food chain these days ? I think we've come out of the 80's effects hangover by now!

Btw Did George Massenburg take credit for the term " Parametric " with his eq ? or how about Crest factor on his compressor ?
Don't be afraid to make up words if they're truly descriptive.

Casey_Butt
Arena

Post by Casey_Butt » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:21 pm

okgb wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:10 am
There's no other way to get that sound right ? [ a small delay in the direct signal so the flanging occurs on both sides of the delay ? ]
or is it where the flanging starts in the sweep cycle , I'll have to see what I have that digitally does that,
All it really refers to is that the delayed signal can reach the point in the sweep where it's not delayed at all compared to the "dry" signal. So if you are using subtractive mixing the two signals will cancel completely at that point and you get silence, and then the sound fades back in again as the delay starts increasing again. If you're using additive mixing it sounds like a flanger that sweeps up to very high notch frequencies (at the tzf point you won't hear any flanging at all) and back down again. By delaying the "dry" line you can put the zero cross-over point anywhere you wish - that's why I have a control to adjust for that and an "Add/Subtract" switch to switch between additive and subtractive mixing. You can set it so it behaves like a traditional flanger or tzf.
okgb wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:10 am
where are flangers on the sales food chain these days ? I think we've come out of the 80's effects hangover by now!
I don't know, but I suspect they're not big sellers. I get the feeling that the "80's effects hangover" is nearing its end though. I think it's a cycle and people will yearn for flangers, chorus, phasers, etc again. I think a lot of what turned people off was the over-the-top use of them, overkill. That's why I'm designing all of my pedals so they can be set for subtle texture as well as "effecty". A judicious touch of phasing or flanging can be glorious.

okgb
Club Circuit

Post by okgb » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:07 am

As your mock up art shows there is allot of common ground between Flanges & Chorus , so you can sell it as both of course

I don't think a Leslie rotating speaker sim is possible in the analog world, it's one I think needs noise added

Can you post all the images in one post, is it getting real for you yet?

Casey_Butt
Arena

Post by Casey_Butt » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:35 pm

okgb wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:07 am
As your mock up art shows there is allot of common ground between Flanges & Chorus , so you can sell it as both of course
Yeah. Flangers and choruses are essentially different spec'ed implementations of the same thing. Flangers have a much broader sweep range and some form of feedback. Choruses are centered at longer delay times and sweep through a much narrower range with no feedback. If you design a flanger with enough range it can cover the chorus territory as well. Of course, it's a little trickier to dial in a flanger than a chorus because of all that extra range.
okgb wrote:
I don't think a Leslie rotating speaker sim is possible in the analog world, it's one I think needs noise added
I don't know. I've never really tried myself but I'm not aware of any analog rotating speaker pedals that were very convincing, but I haven't tried many. The Uni-Vibe sure as hell failed miserably at that task... but created a sound all its own (which I personally prefer over rotating speaker sims).
okgb wrote:
Can you post all the images in one post, is it getting real for you yet?
Sure, I'll round them up and post them together later. Sometimes it's more real than others. It depends on how good a mood I'm in. ;)

Casey_Butt
Arena

Post by Casey_Butt » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:53 pm

Here are the tentative graphics for each pedal. The Overdrive Preamp and Distortion Preamp have already been built and confirmed. The other circuits have been finalized on breadboard and pcbs are next. The Flanger hasn't been finalized yet, so I'll leave that one out for now.

Axiom Overdrive Preamp OP-1 - Copy.jpg
Axiom Overdrive Preamp OP-1 - Copy.jpg (62.9 KiB) Viewed 105 times
Axiom Distortion Preamp DP-1 - Copy.jpg
Axiom Distortion Preamp DP-1 - Copy.jpg (62.95 KiB) Viewed 105 times
AXiom Fuzz Preamp FP-1 - Copy.jpg
AXiom Fuzz Preamp FP-1 - Copy.jpg (65.81 KiB) Viewed 105 times
AXiom Classic Compressor CC-1 - Copy.jpg
AXiom Classic Compressor CC-1 - Copy.jpg (74.06 KiB) Viewed 105 times
AXiom Stereo Chorus-Vibrato SCV-1 - Copy.jpg
AXiom Stereo Chorus-Vibrato SCV-1 - Copy.jpg (85.38 KiB) Viewed 105 times

Casey_Butt
Arena

Post by Casey_Butt » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:55 pm

AXiom Phase-Vibe PV-1 - Copy.jpg
AXiom Phase-Vibe PV-1 - Copy.jpg (76.98 KiB) Viewed 105 times
AXiom Omega-Vibe OV-1 blue - Copy.jpg
AXiom Omega-Vibe OV-1 blue - Copy.jpg (92.88 KiB) Viewed 105 times
AXiom Classic Tremolo CT-1 - Copy.jpg
AXiom Classic Tremolo CT-1 - Copy.jpg (81.71 KiB) Viewed 105 times

okgb
Club Circuit

Post by okgb » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:16 pm

Thanks, Have you seen this one? it has a Bloom control [ another emerging descriptive word ] and midi
https://jackson.audio/products/bloom

Casey_Butt
Arena

Post by Casey_Butt » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:34 am

I've never used or heard that pedal, but it looks to be an advanced optical compressor, with MIDI control over 6 presets. The "bloom" control, while sexy sounding, appears to be just a level boost into the compression circuit. Simple, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the most powerful feature of the pedal. Imagine if, as your guitar signal fades, you could turn an imaginary volume knob that boosts your guitar signal as it dies out - you could extend the signal significantly. That's what the "boost" appears to be.

okgb
Club Circuit

Post by okgb » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:21 am

Are the overdrive , Distortion & fuzz , variations of the same circuit?

Greg_L
Club Circuit

Post by Greg_L » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:22 pm

I'd maybe be interested in a flanger. I don't play corny 80s hairy buttrock, but I like spacey reverby psychosurfy sounds and flangers are good with that. Good flangers that don't do that terrible metallic clunky turnaround are hard to come by. Many flangers have a horrible weird hiccup when it turns. The only flanger I've heard that has a thick flanging effect without that horrific metallic turnaround is the big red Ross Flanger. If your flanger can do that for less money and real estate than those giant Ross flangers, then I'd be interested.
My gear list? Do a search.