Decent multi-effect pedal which can MIDI control JVM410h channels?

Stuff that alters the sound going in or out of the amp, JVM Loops, XLR Out, Line Out, Stereo setup with 2 amps, Midi

Moderators: jim renolds, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

newuser
Beginner
Beginner

Decent multi-effect pedal which can MIDI control JVM410h channels?

Post by newuser » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:18 pm

Hello!
I’m new at this and I’m not sure if this specific topic has been already covered.

Anyway…I would like to buy a JVM410h. I like its sound and I like the fact that you can change the 4 channels of the amp through MIDI.

What I’m looking for is a decent multi effect pedal with the following features:

1) compatibility with JVM410h in terms of being able to change amp channels using MIDI, and if you know how to, if you could please describe the entire procedure (basically setting the different patches of the multi-effect in such a way that with a single foot switch I can change not only the channel of the amp but also the effects of the multi-effect);

2) minimal influence of the multi-effect on the original JVM410h tone and signal/noise ratio (in other words it would be best if the original tone and noise level of the amp is not influenced that much but I can still add to this delays, flanger, or whatever else etc);

Thanks a lot in advance!

Landry
Garage Band

Re: Decent multi-effect pedal which can MIDI control JVM410h channels?

Post by Landry » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:51 pm

Hello!

I use a BOSS GT-6 multieffects pedal with my JVM, and it is MIDI-switchable. It's been a while since I programmed it but I think it went like this:
-I first set up the patch on the pedal itself . . . turn on Chorus or Delay, whatever. After deciding which JVM channel you want to use, you switch the JVM to that channel. While you have the JVM on the channel you want to associate with the patch, you change the pedal to another patch (one that is totally unrelated to what we are doing). On the JVM face you have a push switch marked "Footswitch/MIDI Program." Push this twice and it starts to blink. While it is still blinking you then step on the muti-effects pedal and switch it to the patch that you want. Now every time you go to that patch on your multi-effects unit the amp should go to the channel you have chosen.

I can't help you with question #2. I've personally never seen a multi-effects pedal that doesn't change the tone to some extent. :-)

Have you researched the 4-cable method? This is used by myself and many others to some degree of success. I feel that some tone is still lost, but I think it's worth the trade off.

newuser
Beginner
Beginner

Post by newuser » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:40 pm

Thanks a lot Laundry! I will give a look into the BOSS GT-6

Yes, I have used the 4-cable method in the past and it seems the way to go

Thanks!

newuser
Beginner
Beginner

Post by newuser » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:43 pm

So, it turns out GT-6 has been discontinued.
I will need to check for some other BOSS multi effect pedal then

Landry
Garage Band

Post by Landry » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:27 am

Looks like the GT 100 is the latest greatest from BOSS. I highly recommend that you hit the music store and try different brands first hand. I can't say BOSS is the best. It's just the one that I chose. Good luck.

jim renolds
World Tour

Post by jim renolds » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:37 am

While not a "pedal," the rack-mount TC Electronic G Major, and G Major 2 are extremely compatible with JVMs. And, while I have not used the GM2, I have used the original GM with my JVM since 2007. Granted, you will need a separate MIDI pedal to control both it and the amp, but you can do away with the 4CM, which in my opinion adds excessive cable run (i.e. noise and tone-suck). If you want to use OD effects with your amp, which rightfully belong in front of the amp, then the 4CM makes sense. But if you are mostly after time and modulation-based effects, then they belong in the loop, and the best way to do that is rack-mount with a couple of 3-ft. patch cables (not 72-80 ft. of noise-collecting "antennae"). NOTE: You guys that successfully use the 4CM without negative side-effects, please don't take this as a knock on your methods. My hat is off to you, it's just more difficult to make that work without sacrificing tone or adding noise, that's all.

Anyway, back to the OP - you listed two main points - 1) To be able to control both the amp and the multi-effect with a "single-stomp" solution, and 2) To have minimal (ideally zero) effect on the amp's native tone, and to not add any additional noise. From my personal experience, I can unequivocally state that the G Major (and most likely the GM2 as well) fits both of your main requirements perfectly, BUT will require the addition of a MIDI controller. I'm sure there are other, equally successful options as well, but this is one that I can recommend without hesitation.

DH
JVM 410H w/Mods: 1µF Plexi Cap, 3H Mojotone Choke, Neg. Feedback Adj. Pot.(500K)

nato
Private Parties

Post by nato » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:03 am

Hi newuser, I've been using the Boss GT-100 for a while and it seems ok. I think there is a review somewhere on this forum that goes into detail. (The setup is the same as Landrys description of the Gt-6) Anyway, I think it might be a case of - the more money you spend on a unit, the better it is. You get what you pay for.

Cheers
JVM410H,Marshall 1960A,Marshall 1960B,American standard fender strat,Gibson SG Standard,Gibson Les Paul studio Faded 2016T, Jackson King V, Ibanez Xiphos, Boss GT-100, Boss NS-2, Jim Dunlop Cry Baby, Big Muff Pi, MXR KFK 10 Band Eq

jimsreynolds
World Tour

Post by jimsreynolds » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:32 pm

Yeah, we have had good feedback on the Boss GT Series here (GT6, GT8, GT10 and GT100).

I can attest to the Line 6 HD500 working well and others have had decent results from the HD500X.

I think someone round here had line 6 Helix but I can't remember the outcome... Search.

Don't think we have had a Fractal FX8 yet (have we)?

All the above can do basic midi channel switching with the JVM but some allow for finer midi control also (E. G. HD500 and GT series both have features that the other dies not)

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
JimBOB

-------------------------------------------
Amps:

Guitars:
  • 70s hard-tail Strat with EMG 89/SA actives. Gibson "The Paul" with bridge P-Rails, Triple-shot, Roland GK-3 and Torres Tone Mods. Gretsch 6119 Tennessee Rose. PRS SE Semi-Hollow w/Bigsby, Squier Affinity Tele (Modded), Falk "Splitter", Taylor T5, Ibanez RG2610E
    Taylor DN3 Acoustic w/Rare Earth Blend, Ovation Celebrity 6/12 Acoustic, Martin 000X1AE, Rally Resonator, Stretton Payne 12-string.
FX:
  • Joyos galore! T-Rex Moller, TC Flashback X4, MXR '78 Distortion, Crybaby, Line 6 HD500 - 4CM & MIDI switching, (retired), Boss GT8 (retired)

newuser
Beginner
Beginner

Post by newuser » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:15 pm

Hi Dark Horse, nato and jimsreynolds,
Thank you ALL very much for your advises!

wolbai
Garage Band

Post by wolbai » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:21 pm

Have a look at my (probably overseen) Fractal audio FX8 review in this forum.

Worked with a HD500 (as midi-control and FX-unit) for years and I can attest that the FX8 is the less colorable multi-fx I have ever used.

It is especially designed for the 4cm usage.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9936

wolbai
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Guitars: Warmoth (H-S-H)-built, James Tyler Variax JTV 59, JTV 69, JTV 89F, Gibson Les Paul Deluxe, Godin Progression, Godin Seagull
Amps/cabs: Marshall JVM410h (negative feedback mod crunch channel only), Line6 DT50/212 Combo, Line6 DT50/Head, Marshall JVMC212 cab (closed back), Palmer 2x12 cab (closed back) Multi-FX: Fractal Audio Systems FX8, Line6 POD HD500
Others: Little Lehle A/B-Switch, Radial JDX Reactor direct box, RIVERA Rockcrusher, Small Stubby 3.0 mm picks, Sharkfin picks, D'Addario-XL EXL125 strings Website: http://www.soundclick.com/wolbai

newuser
Beginner
Beginner

Post by newuser » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:56 pm

Hi wolbai,
Thanks for your input and the link to your review! I can certainly say that the Fractal audio FX8 is on the higher side of the range of money I can spend.
But I guess "you get what you pay for" and this piece must be absolutely fabulous.
thanks!