JVM Forum

All about Marshall's JVM Series

Please help us with the forum running costs
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:27 am
Google Search the forum ... note that google has to index stuff before it shows up in the search, so it will not instantly show results for new posts

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:44 pm 
Garage Band

How are you guys using Overdrive pedals with your JVM? For example, are you simply using them as a boost for guitar solos? Anyone using them for rythm playing as well, or strictly for lead?

Feel free to post what pedal you're using along with settings.

I've been using a Tubescreamer to boost solos. Gain is 0, Level is maxed and Tone at 12:00. Is there a better way to use the pedal?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:54 pm 
World Tour

I have a DigiTech Bad Monkey (TS Clone) and I pretty much never use it.

I tried it once using the same trick you did - level maxed, gain to 0, tone knobs at noon (it has "Low" and "High" instead of just "Tone), but after I removed it from the chain I just changed from OD1 Green to OD1 Orange and lowered the gain a little, the difference was so small that I concluded it's not worth having a pedal for more gain. If you want a simple volume boost, that's what the MV2 is for.

I'm not into putting an OD pedal in front of a high gainer in general, so I may be the wrong person chiming in here [smilie=icon_mrgreen.gif]

GUITARS:
Explorer w/Nailbombs; Yamaha SG2000; Gibson SG '61 Reissue; Ibanez RG370DX w/DiMarzios; Squier Classic Vibe Tele;
Yamaha LLX6A
AMPS&CABS:
Marshall JVM410H (EH in V1, V5/Chinese 12AX7 V2-V4; -ve fdbk mod, choke mod, plexi mod)
MESA 2:90+TriAxis (TungSol V1, EH V2, JJ V4); Marshall 1960A cab w/V30; Marshall MC212 cab w/G12T-75; Yamaha THR10
FX:
BOSS GT-6; Dunlop crybaby w/tb
OTHER STUFF:
Proel Esoteric cables, Ernie Ball strings; Dunlop Ultex Sharp picks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:00 pm 
Garage Band

Jackie wrote:
I have a DigiTech Bad Monkey (TS Clone) and I pretty much never use it.

I tried it once using the same trick you did - level maxed, gain to 0, tone knobs at noon (it has "Low" and "High" instead of just "Tone), but after I removed it from the chain I just changed from OD1 Green to OD1 Orange and lowered the gain a little, the difference was so small that I concluded it's not worth having a pedal for more gain. If you want a simple volume boost, that's what the MV2 is for.

I'm not into putting an OD pedal in front of a high gainer in general, so I may be the wrong person chiming in here [smilie=icon_mrgreen.gif]

I want All opinions! Hey.......you just taught me something. I hadn't even thought about using the MV2 as a lead boost!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:06 pm 
World Tour

i`ve actually not found a use for my ice9 or satchurator yet, they remain on the board but the JVM has more than enough gain and od for my needs, i`m using MV2 to boost the volume as for gain boost just going up a mode is enough, or increase the volume pot on the guitar....still learning the amp though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:15 pm 
Private Parties

Distortion, overdrive, and boost pedals are weird with the JVM. On the clean channel, i think they sound like crap. But on OD green or clean/crunch, they push the amp a little harder. I have a 210H and a 205H, so what I do is set up my clean/crunch gain to about the 9:00 position so there's not much gain, then i kick on my Way Huge Angry Troll to give it a little bit of grit. Then on my OD channel I have the gain at 3:00 to cover all the heavy high gain metal tones. If you have a 4 channell JVM, i wouldn't think you need anything in front of the gain stages. Unless you like the tone coloring the tube screamer adds. Or mabe a fuzz pedal, thats something totally different than distortion or overdrive. I would recomend the Angry Troll, it doesn't color your tone that much, but can give you some nice boost if you use single coil, or split humbuckers. The Angry Troll does something really interesting in front of a crybaby too! Kind of a metallic, grinding, icepick in the side of your skull thing. :yikes:

I also have a Vox Saturator pedal that sounded horrible with the JVM, but when used on other amps, it was really sweet. It sounds like a hot rodded boss ds1, and it has the "more" button (that's really the only reason I bought it). Nice Gear Dude! As a matter of fact, Joe Satriani doesn't even use his saturator anymore since he left peavy and started using JVM's.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:23 pm 
Private Parties

Hello,

I have a BB Preamp that works very well with CRUNCH RED and CRUNCH ORANGE.
I set level at max and drive at min, same as you do, for a clear boost that also highlights the mids and works fine for leads; alternatively, I set level at 50% and drive very low, about 10%, for a slightly more compressed, midrange rich lead tone.

I have the PLEXI MOD which tends to increase gain in all channels, and found out OD2 with gain at 25% (9 o'clock) is perfect as an all duty tone that can be slightly boosted by the BB Preamp for leads.

Jackie: I used to have a Bad Monkey which I used with my Pod XTL some time ago; with digital equipment, the pedal works pretty decently, but with tube amps its buffer reveals a very artificial and transistor-like character, that cannot be taken away because it is not true bypass. A cheap, still great pedal is the Danelectro Transparent Overdrive.

Best,
Marcelo
NOWAYBACK

Cabs: Marshall 1960 BV (V30s) / Custom, super stiff 2x12 with V30/12T75.
Effects: TC Electronics G Sharp - BB Preamp - Fulltone Wah - Maxon OD808 - Line 6 Pod HD500 (in the loop, noise control and delay).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:34 pm 
Private Parties

scubadaz wrote:
i`ve actually not found a use for my ice9 or satchurator yet, they remain on the board but the JVM has more than enough gain and od for my needs, i`m using MV2 to boost the volume as for gain boost just going up a mode is enough, or increase the volume pot on the guitar....still learning the amp though.

nice pic scubadaz, Satch is awesome! Glad he got smart and went back to using Marshalls.

Musicman Axis supersport
Musicman Steve Morse Model
Les Paul Standard
Martin D16 RGT
Korg pitchblack tuner
Way Huge Angry Troll
Crybaby 95Q
MXR super comp, MXR 6 band eq, MXR black label chorus, MXR carbon copy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:17 pm 
World Tour

I occasionally use my Fulltone OCD in front of Crunch Red and OD1-Green on my JVM410H to capture the fatness those modes provide but add more sizzle and sear to the tone as I find the orange modes tend to lose some of the bottom end. The OCD is especially good in front of Crunch Red with gain between 12:00 and 3:00... I also use the OCD a lot with my JVM215C on Clean Green which I use for smaller gigs where I can't get the volume up..

I know you're interested in overdrives, but if any of you have a chance... check out the Suhr Riot Distortion pedal... the thing is crazy good... I was using it the other night in front of the clean channel on a JCM800 with my new bareknuckle blackdog pups and the tone was insane!!!

Cabs: Marshall 1960A(G12M-65 Creambacks), Marshall 1960B(Vintage 30's), Marshall 1936(G12M-65 Creambacks), Marshall 1936(Scumback BlackBack BM75's), Marshall 1936(Scumback M75's), Marshall 1936(G12-65's)
Pedals: Wampler Plextortion, Wampler Pinnacle, Suhr Riot Distortion, Fulltone OCD, TCE Corona Chorus, MXR EVH Phase 90, Dunlop CAE Wah, MXR Carbon Copy Delay, MXR/CAE Boost, MXR 10-Band EQ, TCE Flashback Delay, Sonic Research Tuner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:06 am 
Garage Band

trusoundstudios wrote:
Distortion, overdrive, and boost pedals are weird with the JVM. On the clean channel, i think they sound like crap. But on OD green or clean/crunch, they push the amp a little harder.

Interesting. I've only tried distortion pedals on the clean channel. Now, I'm wondering what my distortion pedals will sound like on the other channels.

Lol. Anyone try a Boss DS-1 or something extreme like a Metal Zone on Clean/Crunch or OD Green?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:12 am 
Garage Band

HyFive578 wrote:
I occasionally use my Fulltone OCD in front of Crunch Red and OD1-Green on my JVM410H to capture the fatness those modes provide but add more sizzle and sear to the tone as I find the orange modes tend to lose some of the bottom end. The OCD is especially good in front of Crunch Red with gain between 12:00 and 3:00... I also use the OCD a lot with my JVM215C on Clean Green which I use for smaller gigs where I can't get the volume up..

I know you're interested in overdrives, but if any of you have a chance... check out the Suhr Riot Distortion pedal... the thing is crazy good... I was using it the other night in front of the clean channel on a JCM800 with my new bareknuckle blackdog pups and the tone was insane!!!

It's funny that you mention the Fulltone OCD as I've been thinking of picking one of those up. Wonder if this is a sign?!?

Yea, I did start this thread specifically about Overdrive pedals.....but I'm interested in EVERYTHING. Haven't heard of the Suhr Distortion pedal. I've got a Boss DS-1, a Keeley Modded Metal Zone, and a Box of Rock Distortion pedal (and a serious jones for a Metal Muff).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:52 am 
World Tour

Modern Wasteland wrote:
It's funny that you mention the Fulltone OCD as I've been thinking of picking one of those up. Wonder if this is a sign?!?

Yea, I did start this thread specifically about Overdrive pedals.....but I'm interested in EVERYTHING. Haven't heard of the Suhr Distortion pedal. I've got a Boss DS-1, a Keeley Modded Metal Zone, and a Box of Rock Distortion pedal (and a serious jones for a Metal Muff).

As someone who has bought and subsequently discarded dozens of pedals over the years, IMHO, the Fulltone OCD is one of the best overdrive pedals made.. It has a great tone and sounds great either by itself or in concert with any of the modes I mentioned in my other post.. Aside from my tuner, it's been the only other staple on my pedal board.. I also power it with an 18V lead which might make a little difference. it's also pretty fitting for me, cause when it comes to this stuff, I have plenty of OCD myself...

You should seriously look into the Suhr Riot... just a fabulous sounding pedal...

As far as solo boosts, I mainly use the second master volume control set two notches higher than the MV1. But when I really need to get over the top or when I use my JCM800 that doesnt have two MV's, I use an MXR / CAE Boost Driver... love that one too... but that's just for transparent boost, not OD...

Cabs: Marshall 1960A(G12M-65 Creambacks), Marshall 1960B(Vintage 30's), Marshall 1936(G12M-65 Creambacks), Marshall 1936(Scumback BlackBack BM75's), Marshall 1936(Scumback M75's), Marshall 1936(G12-65's)
Pedals: Wampler Plextortion, Wampler Pinnacle, Suhr Riot Distortion, Fulltone OCD, TCE Corona Chorus, MXR EVH Phase 90, Dunlop CAE Wah, MXR Carbon Copy Delay, MXR/CAE Boost, MXR 10-Band EQ, TCE Flashback Delay, Sonic Research Tuner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:57 pm 
Garage Band

HyFive578 wrote:
Modern Wasteland wrote:

As someone who has bought and subsequently discarded dozens of pedals over the years, IMHO, the Fulltone OCD is one of the best overdrive pedals made.. It has a great tone and sounds great either by itself or in concert with any of the modes I mentioned in my other post.. Aside from my tuner, it's been the only other staple on my pedal board.. I also power it with an 18V lead which might make a little difference. it's also pretty fitting for me, cause when it comes to this stuff, I have plenty of OCD myself...

You should seriously look into the Suhr Riot... just a fabulous sounding pedal...

As far as solo boosts, I mainly use the second master volume control set two notches higher than the MV1. But when I really need to get over the top or when I use my JCM800 that doesnt have two MV's, I use an MXR / CAE Boost Driver... love that one too... but that's just for transparent boost, not OD...

SOLD! I think I'm putting an OCD on my pedal board!

Seems like a lot of people are using MV2 as a boost. I may have to try that!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:44 am 
Club Circuit

Here's how I use distortion pedals with the JVM

I throw them all in the bin, and use a top-class state of the art, 4-channel valve amp instead!

I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would fart around with a thin-sounding, transistor pedal, when they have 4 channels of pure valve overdrive available in the 410 instead!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:58 am 
World Tour

I had GC ship an MXR/CAE Line Booster to me last week (thanks again, HyFive) and it works perfectly as a totally transparent lead boost on my DSL. I also use a TS9 with the DSL, not to add any OD (it has more than enough gain already), but to tighten up the bottom end. But with my JVM, I never use boost or OD pedal because I find no need for them whatsoever with so many gain modes, two masters, and the fact that it's tight as hell already. [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]

Bam

Guitars: 2012 Ibanez 25th Anniversary RG3 w/Dimarzio D-Activator/Air Norton S, 2005 Charvel USA Custom Shop Pointy Head Reissue w/80's Jackson J-95/Duncan '59, 2010 Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas Style 1-2H w/Custom Custom/Jazz (was JB/'59 stock), 1987 Kramer Aerostar ZX30 w/Dimarzio Super Distortion/EMG Selects (passive single-coils)
Amps: JVM 410H (2007), EVH 5150III 50w head (2011), Peavey Series 2600 Mark III
Cabs: Avatar Contemporary 4x12 loaded with Hellatone 60s (Vintage 30s), Early 80's Peavey 2x12 loaded with Eminence Governors
Pedals: ISP Decimator, Morley Mark Tremonti Wah, Fulltone OCD (4th gen), Digitech Whammy (5th gen), MXR 10-Band EQ, Boss DD-3 Delay, Boss BF-3 Flanger, Korg Pitch Black Tuner, others

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:17 am 
Private Parties

Modern Wasteland wrote:
trusoundstudios wrote:
Distortion, overdrive, and boost pedals are weird with the JVM. On the clean channel, i think they sound like crap. But on OD green or clean/crunch, they push the amp a little harder.

Interesting. I've only tried distortion pedals on the clean channel. Now, I'm wondering what my distortion pedals will sound like on the other channels.

Lol. Anyone try a Boss DS-1 or something extreme like a Metal Zone on Clean/Crunch or OD Green?

I tried a Boss Metal Zone with my JVM 205H. I found in my case, through all the various channels, it sucked my volume leaving and left little to know headroom. I also found it minimized the "chunck" and low end in the on drive distortion. I thus removed it from my pedal board. While it was a "necessity" for my old solidstate days, I do not have a need for it now.

Matt