Cables for FX Loop

Stuff that alters the sound going in or out of the amp, JVM Loops, XLR Out, Line Out, Stereo setup with 2 amps, Midi

Moderators: jim renolds, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

Paulocaster
Pub Band

Cables for FX Loop

Post by Paulocaster » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:46 pm

Just curious to know which cables you guys are using for your FX Loop. I've been using some old cables that aren't ideal for guitar to amp, so I imagine I'm losing some tone through the the Loop. Are you using the same sort of quality cables for the Loop as you use for guitar to amp?

Thanks.
Guitars: 2010 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro; 2008 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Amp: Marshall JVM205C
Guitar to Amp Pedals: Loop Master Switcher; TC Electronic Polytune; Electro Harmonix POG2; Analog Man Sun Lion; Dunlop Cry Baby Classic; Analog Man Juicer; Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano; Dunlop DVP1
FX Loop Pedals: Loop Master Switcher; Electro Harmonix Neo Mistress; Analog Man Chorus; Catalinbread Semaphore; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

that-was-scubadaz
World Tour

Re: Cables for FX Loop

Post by that-was-scubadaz » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:15 pm

Yes you need to be using instrument cables

I use the exact same cables right through my signal path (apart from the speaker cable obviously)

S&M Freddy
Arena

Post by S&M Freddy » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:25 pm

I use short quality instrument cables from http://www.lindy.co.uk/ . Nice to have them the right length and a different colour!
Cornford RK100
Victory V30
Yamaha THR10
Big box 2x12 cabs with V30's and Celestion G12T-75's, 3x12 Projector cab with classic 80's
Music Man Axis, PRS Mira, Gibson Les Paul Standards ('98 and '00), Gibson Explorer Trad Pro, Gibson Classic DC, Gordon Smith Graduate 60, Graduate Slimline, Explorer, Breadwinner and Gypsy 1.5, Fernandes STJ75, 'Fredster' Telecaster
Nobels midi controller, Cry Baby Wah, Fulltone Deja Vibe, TS 808 clone, TC Dreamscape, TC Flashback, TC HOF, Line 6 M5 Stompbox Modeler in loop, Nobels Pre1 Boost

that-was-scubadaz
World Tour

Post by that-was-scubadaz » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:33 pm

S&M Freddy wrote:I use short quality instrument cables from http://www.lindy.co.uk/ . Nice to have them the right length and a different colour!
Yeah what mine should of read as is the same cable and connectors just cut to length for patch and instrument.

Paulocaster
Pub Band

Post by Paulocaster » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:07 pm

Thanks, guys. You've answered my question.

I should have been clear that I am using instrument cables, just not quality instrument cables. I'll upgrade the FX Loop cables to the same cable I use from guitar to amp.
Guitars: 2010 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro; 2008 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Amp: Marshall JVM205C
Guitar to Amp Pedals: Loop Master Switcher; TC Electronic Polytune; Electro Harmonix POG2; Analog Man Sun Lion; Dunlop Cry Baby Classic; Analog Man Juicer; Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano; Dunlop DVP1
FX Loop Pedals: Loop Master Switcher; Electro Harmonix Neo Mistress; Analog Man Chorus; Catalinbread Semaphore; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

S&M Freddy
Arena

Post by S&M Freddy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:14 pm

Just a word of caution....I have just been completely rebuilding my effects rack, board and switching system.

I have so far found two apparently good old leads that still worked but were soaking up huge amounts of signal. In the process of checking the lot and making up some new leads now.

Don't skimp on your cables [smilie=icon_redface.gif]
Cornford RK100
Victory V30
Yamaha THR10
Big box 2x12 cabs with V30's and Celestion G12T-75's, 3x12 Projector cab with classic 80's
Music Man Axis, PRS Mira, Gibson Les Paul Standards ('98 and '00), Gibson Explorer Trad Pro, Gibson Classic DC, Gordon Smith Graduate 60, Graduate Slimline, Explorer, Breadwinner and Gypsy 1.5, Fernandes STJ75, 'Fredster' Telecaster
Nobels midi controller, Cry Baby Wah, Fulltone Deja Vibe, TS 808 clone, TC Dreamscape, TC Flashback, TC HOF, Line 6 M5 Stompbox Modeler in loop, Nobels Pre1 Boost

Rahlstin
Private Parties

Post by Rahlstin » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:38 pm

right now im using planet wave cables and a small little VisualSound puretone buffer
1999 Marshall 100w SLP-ri
2011 Marshall JVM410H
2005 Marshall DSL100
1990 Marshall JCM900 A Cab w G12M 25w
1990 Marshall JCM900 B Cab
2010 Traynor 2w/12w DH15 DarkHorse Head and 1 x12 cab w G12M
2011 Gibson LesPaul Traditional - Black
1976 Gibson LesPaul Custom - Natural
2001 Am Fender Strat-Wilkenson Trem
1984 Washburn G-IV
1992 Lt-ed Ovation Acoustic
2010 Epiphone Sheraton II
And a collection of other crap...
On Facebook search for "Wheelerdealerrocks" Im the heavier guy with glasses and the Hat.. stage L

S&M Freddy
Arena

Post by S&M Freddy » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:14 pm

Rahlstin wrote:right now im using planet wave cables and a small little VisualSound puretone buffer
Yep I have the odd Planet Waves lead and they seem transparent. I don't need a separate buffer in my loop...but I do have one on my pedal board where all my pedals are try bypass and I have quite a long length of guitar lead before the board. Not sure how much difference it makes but I figured it can't do any harm. Mine is a Bright Onion pedal made by a small bespoke pedal builder in the UK...nice stuff, top quality and very good value!
Cornford RK100
Victory V30
Yamaha THR10

mohi
Club Circuit

Post by mohi » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:51 pm

I own that buffer too, very transparent. Personally don't use fancy cables on the loop, it should be a low impedance signal so any decent lead should make the job.
Marshall JVM410C: TAD HPS V1, TAD PS V2, TAD Std V3, EH V4, Mods: Plexi Cap, Choke, K77
Marshall YJM100
Marshall JCM800 1981

S&M Freddy
Arena

Post by S&M Freddy » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:59 pm

mohi wrote:I own that buffer too, very transparent. Personally don't use fancy cables on the loop, it should be a low impedance signal so any decent lead should make the job.
Yep he builds utility pedals to order as well....made me a bespoke remotely switched loop pedal too and it works flawlessly. I highly recommend Bright Onion. [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]
Cornford RK100
Victory V30
Yamaha THR10

Spacerocker
Arena

Post by Spacerocker » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:10 pm

Whilst I generally use the best cables I can afford, I don't think the quality of the cable in the loop is as important as that of your main guitar cable (i.e. the one from your guitar to your amp/first effect) This is because the effects loop is a high-impedance circuit, at line level, so a lower quality cable should not lose treble (as a cheap guitar lead can), or be too susceptible to noise.

Obviously though, cheap cables are more likely to fall apart and be less reliable in general, but sound wise, I wouldn't think there would be too much of a problem with thme in the loop. Way to check, of course, is to switch the loop in/out and A/B the sound!
Amps: Marshall JVM410: Hotter Bias, Plexi mod, 10H choke, Stiffness Mod, Neg Feedback Mod (Variable) spec, 3rd Stage Bias mod, AFD type mod (increased Crunch gain), 50W conversion, Tone stack Mods to 2203 spec, "Anti-Compression" mod, dBx 31 band graphic in loop, Marshall AVT20 Valvestate practice amp, Marshall 1980 2203, 2 x 1936 Cabs, 1968 Orignal 4 x 12 Cab with Greenbacks
Guitars: Les Paul Traditional, Fender HM Strat x 2 with Dimarzio Evolution Humbucker, Fender Standard Strat
Effects: Morley Wah/Volume Pedal. Behringer Vintage Phaser, TC G-Major, Alesis Midiverb. Behringer FCB1010 Midi Foot Controller

jim renolds
World Tour

Post by jim renolds » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:25 am

Spacerocker wrote:Whilst I generally use the best cables I can afford, I don't think the quality of the cable in the loop is as important as that of your main guitar cable (i.e. the one from your guitar to your amp/first effect) This is because the effects loop is a high-impedance circuit, at line level, so a lower quality cable should not lose treble (as a cheap guitar lead can), or be too susceptible to noise.
I believe you meant to say it is a LOW-impedance circuit at line level?

DH
JVM 410H w/Mods: 1µF Plexi Cap, 3H Mojotone Choke, Neg. Feedback Adj. Pot.(500K)

Spacerocker
Arena

Post by Spacerocker » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:41 pm

Dark Horse wrote:
Spacerocker wrote:Whilst I generally use the best cables I can afford, I don't think the quality of the cable in the loop is as important as that of your main guitar cable (i.e. the one from your guitar to your amp/first effect) This is because the effects loop is a high-impedance circuit, at line level, so a lower quality cable should not lose treble (as a cheap guitar lead can), or be too susceptible to noise.
I believe you meant to say it is a LOW-impedance circuit at line level?

DH

What I really meant is that it is an electronic buffered circuit, and as such the "send" will have a low output impedance, but the return will have a high input impedance. (I think that is what I meant, anyway! [smilie=icon_wink.gif] )

The upshot is that the "send" signal does not get "pulled down" or degraded by the effects units, and the "return" input will not "load" the signal out of the FX units in the loop
Amps: Marshall JVM410: Hotter Bias, Plexi mod, 10H choke, Stiffness Mod, Neg Feedback Mod (Variable) spec, 3rd Stage Bias mod, AFD type mod (increased Crunch gain), 50W conversion, Tone stack Mods to 2203 spec, "Anti-Compression" mod, dBx 31 band graphic in loop, Marshall AVT20 Valvestate practice amp, Marshall 1980 2203, 2 x 1936 Cabs, 1968 Orignal 4 x 12 Cab with Greenbacks
Guitars: Les Paul Traditional, Fender HM Strat x 2 with Dimarzio Evolution Humbucker, Fender Standard Strat
Effects: Morley Wah/Volume Pedal. Behringer Vintage Phaser, TC G-Major, Alesis Midiverb. Behringer FCB1010 Midi Foot Controller

Jackie
World Tour

Post by Jackie » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:26 pm

Use the same cables you do for everything else. The FX loop is just part of the signal path so there's no reason to go cheap [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]
Tonemeister wrote:there is sooo much that the JVM can be...
GUITARS:
Modded Epiphone Goth Explorer w/BKP Nailbombs; Jackson KVMG Pro; Yamaha SG2000; Gibson SG '61 Reissue; Squier Classic Vibe Tele; Yamaha LLX6A
AMPS&CABS:
Marshall JVM410H (EH V1/V5; Chinese 12AX7B V2-V4; -ve fdbk mod, choke mod, plexi cap mod)
ENGL Savage 120 mk I; Marshall 1960A cab w/V30; Yamaha THR10v2
FX:
BOSS GT-6, Keeley-modded Dunlop Crybaby Wah
MISC:
Proel Esoteric cables, Ernie Ball strings; Dunlop Ultex Sharp picks, craft beer

Black7Ninja
Garage Band

Post by Black7Ninja » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:27 am

Am I correctly inferring that there's no need for a buffer in the FX loop then?
Jackson Dinky MG
Ibanez SA260: Kent Armstrong Hot Rails/Bare Knuckle Trilogy Suite/Bare Knuckle Painkiller (S/S/H)
Mexican Fender Strat
JVM 205H
1960AV Cab
TC Electronic Polytune
Maxon OD-9
ISP Decimator G String
Ibanez Weeping Demon
EHX Small Clone
MXR M-108