This would be my favorite - JVM 100H

Marshall JVM Discussion - topics that are not in any of the sub categories, please respect this to keep the forum well organised and so make it easier to find stuff you are interested in :-)

Moderators: jim renolds, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

DannyjoeCarter
Benefactor

This would be my favorite - JVM 100H

Post by DannyjoeCarter » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:47 pm

Marshall JVM 100H.jpg
Folks for me personally I do everything with one sound and never change the amp, the old Angus Young school of thought really so this would be the ultimate Marshall JVM for me! Have the clean sound of the 410 and the crunch and gain of OD1 - heaven! [smilie=icon_razz.gif]

Set it and forget it!

RockmanCentral
Private Parties

Re: This would be my favorite - JVM 100H

Post by RockmanCentral » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:24 pm

Should be easy enough to build...
Gear:
Marshall JVM 410HJS - -ve Feedback
Kemper Profiling Rack
Two Notes Torpedo Live
Marshall 1960 HW Stack - G12H-30's
Marshall 1960 Lead Stack - G12T-75's
Rockman Stack with Rev 20 Sustainor
Rockman XP212, XP100a
Echoplex EP3 - Hyperspace Pedal
Gibson Collectors Choice #10 Tom Scholz 68 Les Paul Goldtop
PRS SE 24 Custom Floyd - Sustainiac, DiMarzio Super Distortion, Graph Tech LB63 Floyd Rose, Acoustiphonic preamp
Jackson Dinky Reverse - Sustainiac, DiMarzio Super Distortion
Epiphone 68 Reissue Les Paul Goldtop

Boston Covers:
http://www.youtube.com/user/RockmanCentralBob

DannyjoeCarter
Benefactor

Post by DannyjoeCarter » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:38 pm

RockmanCentral wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:24 pm
Should be easy enough to build...
And really easy to service too or perform any additional mods with just the single layer board!

rockat
Beginner
Beginner

Post by rockat » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:59 pm

Yep I know what you mean. I have a 210H with a NFB mod a few other tweaks and it delivers the goods with only using two of the channels. The 410H is overkill for me. So there you go!

RockmanCentral
Private Parties

Post by RockmanCentral » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:31 am

You could easily use an Arduino to control any relays inside via MIDI too.
Gear:
Kemper Profiling Rack
Two Notes Torpedo Live
Rockman XP212, XP100a
PRS SE 24 Custom Floyd - Sustainiac, DiMarzio Super Distortion, Graph Tech LB63 Floyd Rose, Acoustiphonic preamp

Boston Covers:

DannyjoeCarter
Benefactor

Post by DannyjoeCarter » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:32 am

rockat wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:59 pm
Yep I know what you mean. I have a 210H with a NFB mod a few other tweaks and it delivers the goods with only using two of the channels. The 410H is overkill for me. So there you go!
Yeah there is so much I will never use on the 410. I know there are so many Folks that are like tons of different colors and tones for variety but I have always been "Set it and Forget it!" So the 210 works well but if I could strip it down one more step that would be the end-all for me! [smilie=icon_cool.gif]

DannyjoeCarter
Benefactor

Post by DannyjoeCarter » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:40 am

RockmanCentral wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:31 am
RockmanCentral you sound like you are in the serious "know" my friend! I had to look up what you were referring to because my knowledge is very limited with these things. But I'm wondering how hard it would be to strip it down even more and keep it all analog, very much like the JCM 800?
Like how I really enjoyed that interview with Santiall on Youtube where he talked about the birth of the JVM - he mentioned he started with a JCM 800 and added more gain and went from there.
That would be incredible to have a new JVM with the JCM 800 format!

RockmanCentral
Private Parties

Post by RockmanCentral » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:26 pm

DannyjoeCarter wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:40 am
RockmanCentral wrote:
RockmanCentral you sound like you are in the serious "know" my friend! I had to look up what you were referring to because my knowledge is very limited with these things. But I'm wondering how hard it would be to strip it down even more and keep it all analog, very much like the JCM 800?
Like how I really enjoyed that interview with Santiall on Youtube where he talked about the birth of the JVM - he mentioned he started with a JCM 800 and added more gain and went from there.
Not as much as you'd think. But I've gone over the schematics of the JVM and the HJS quite a bit, so I understand the basics of how it works. Note, I'm not an engineer like Casey, but I can follow a schematic, even if I can't do all the math.

As for using the Arduino, that would only be to control the ANALOG relays that you would need to change the green, amber, red modes as well as any loops, master values, etc. The actual audio path would be (is) still all analog.

I was reading a thread in the Kemper forum which included a video by Pete Thorn interviewing Dave Freidman about the Jose modded amps he's run across over the years, and in particular, one he worked on belonging to Steve Vai. He said that Jose didn't care for the JCM800 because it uses a lower voltage than the earlier Marshall's. He said he would even sometimes add an additional transformer to them to increase the voltage. Pretty interesting history of one of the great amp modders....

Here's a link if you are interested in watching...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbRJeFY ... e=emb_logo
Gear:
Kemper Profiling Rack
Two Notes Torpedo Live
Rockman XP212, XP100a

Boston Covers:

DannyjoeCarter
Benefactor

Post by DannyjoeCarter » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:50 pm

RockmanCentral wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:26 pm
DannyjoeCarter wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:40 am
RockmanCentral wrote:
Not as much as you'd think. But I've gone over the schematics of the JVM and the HJS quite a bit, so I understand the basics of how it works. Note, I'm not an engineer like Casey, but I can follow a schematic, even if I can't do all the math.

As for using the Arduino, that would only be to control the ANALOG relays that you would need to change the green, amber, red modes as well as any loops, master values, etc. The actual audio path would be (is) still all analog.

I was reading a thread in the Kemper forum which included a video by Pete Thorn interviewing Dave Freidman about the Jose modded amps he's run across over the years, and in particular, one he worked on belonging to Steve Vai. He said that Jose didn't care for the JCM800 because it uses a lower voltage than the earlier Marshall's. He said he would even sometimes add an additional transformer to them to increase the voltage. Pretty interesting history of one of the great amp modders....

Here's a link if you are interested in watching...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbRJeFY ... e=emb_logo
Hey Rockman - I actually watched that video earlier this year because I'm such a huge fan of the Jose modded Marshalls so anything that pops up on them I watch and read. And one thing I do know is that there are so many people that screamed heretic when the JCM 800 line came out and it seems that every new line of Marshalls that comes out it's the same way with all the hate of the new product.

I do know the sound of the old SLPs though and of all the modded Marshalls I have played especially in the early 80s and to my ears, and just my opinion, my favorite sounding amps were the modded JCM 800s. And this is the tone that I have found in the JVM 210 and I lucky to have found this sound in something modern and new!
The old amps scare me because they seem to break down a lot of you play them a lot, like I do any amp. They are temperamental and they are expensive to fix so I have been looking for a long time something that had the tone I wanted without anything extra, just plug and play and get many years out of it.

So Rockman I appreciate all your input on this JVM 100! I'm wondering if this is something Marshall will ever do or if what's out right now will be it for the JVM line. I guess only time will tell!

RockmanCentral
Private Parties

Post by RockmanCentral » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:34 pm

DannyjoeCarter wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:50 pm
I do know the sound of the old SLPs though and of all the modded Marshalls I have played especially in the early 80s and to my ears, and just my opinion, my favorite sounding amps were the modded JCM 800s. And this is the tone that I have found in the JVM 210 and I lucky to have found this sound in something modern and new!
Yeah, that's all good. Everyone is entitled to having their own favorite sound.
I'm glad you found yours and know what you like.
Gear:
Kemper Profiling Rack
Two Notes Torpedo Live
Rockman XP212, XP100a

Boston Covers: