Sold my JVM & got an Axe-Fx

Marshall JVM Discussion - topics that are not in any of the sub categories, please respect this to keep the forum well organised and so make it easier to find stuff you are interested in :-)

Moderators: jim renolds, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

erpece
Club Circuit

Re: Sold my JVM & got an Axe-Fx

Post by erpece » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:38 pm

The HJS supports MIDI CC's, the regular JVM does not.
Amp: Marshall JVM410HJS (nov 2012 - present), JVM410H (apr 2007 - dec 2012)
Cab: 1960B with 2 Heritage G12M's and 2 G12T75's, Two Notes Torpedo Live (with home-made IR of my cab)
FX: Line6 Helix, Rocktron Banshee
Guitars: Warmoth Explorer (Bareknuckle Black Dog), Gibson Les Paul Classic (BK Black Dog), Ibanez 1979 Iceman (BK Rebel Yells), EBMM Axis (BK Rebel Yells), Custom PRS (BK Black Dog) and a few more

vintageburst84
Beginner
Beginner

Post by vintageburst84 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:40 pm

Helix lt and jvm 205h

mohi
Club Circuit

Post by mohi » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:53 am

I am really considering selling all my tube amps after 3 months with the Axe FX III. I am a bedroom player 100% and it is the solution best suits my needs. So far sold the cabs, still keep the heads basically due to sentimental reasons, but when compare them thru the Reactive Load with the models, I can clearly hear how good is the Axe Fx cloning the sound and "feel", plus the overwhelming amount of possibilities you have in terms of Fx or Cabs.

Also, it has so many models I don't stop discovering great amps, like the Carol Ann Triptik I was playing with this weekend.

I agree on the fact I miss sometimes the "big cab" feeling, but I can sort it out that by getting an active cab.

For other purposes like playing live, I may agree there is nothing like an actual amp behind you, despite all the evident inconveniences, but at home for practice / recording, I see no better option than the Axe FX (also is one of the most expensive ones).
Marshall JVM410C: TAD HPS V1, TAD PS V2, TAD Std V3, EH V4, Mods: Plexi Cap, Choke, K77
Marshall YJM100
Marshall JCM800 1981

Greg_L
Club Circuit

Post by Greg_L » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:43 am

mohi wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:53 am

For other purposes like playing live, I may agree there is nothing like an actual amp behind you, despite all the evident inconveniences,
How lazy and defeated are guitar players now that having to use an amp live is an "evident inconvenience"?

I don't mean you personally, specifically, just a general comment on your comment about how "inconvenient" an amp is. You wimpy guitar players want an actual inconvenient pain in the ass? Try drums.

And people lament the slow death of rock and roll. It's not pop, rap, DJs, EDM, or millennials that are killing rock and roll. It's lazy guitar players.
My gear list? Do a search.

mohi
Club Circuit

Post by mohi » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:05 pm

I am not lazy, I mean I have lifted weights for 20 years, do Crossfit 4 times a week and have a +200 Kg PR of Dead Lift, so I don't ge easily scared by carrying stuff smilie=icon_lol.gif ... but I suffered many times stages with almost no space to place my pedalboard, had to rely on people with big cars to carry my stuff ... saw many sound technicians placing the mics with total lack of interest .... from that standpoint I understand a modeller is more "convenient" for certain people.
Marshall JVM410C: TAD HPS V1, TAD PS V2, TAD Std V3, EH V4, Mods: Plexi Cap, Choke, K77
Marshall YJM100
Marshall JCM800 1981

Greg_L
Club Circuit

Post by Greg_L » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:24 pm

mohi wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:05 pm
I am not lazy,
I said I don't mean you specifically. Just guitar players in general.

What happened to guitar players pushing boundaries and forging ahead? Push your equipment and sound past where it's supposed to go and make new things. Not buy a toy that's easy to use and sound exactly the fucking same and like everyone else because it's more convenient. Guitar players have been spoon fed too much for way too long and they're all soft and weak now. These devices are killing the soul, the skill, and creativity two-fold. 1) guys don't know how to use amps anymore. 2) no one knows how to record one. Point two is especially important for recording. Drums are already dead in the recording sphere. Unless you're in a pro studio, pretty much no one records real drums anymore. The "AxeFx" of drum programs have taken over and allowed any shitty basement engineer halfwit to make "drum tracks". And now with amp sims, amp modelers, drum programs....people can record "songs" without even making one single damn actual sound, and that's terrible to me.

mohi
Club Circuit

Post by mohi » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:31 am

Well I disagree with you. Even if I think there is a number of people that really live music like you describe, there is also a lot of them that do it the old school way, or in any of the countless mixed possibilities.

I just cannot record or jam with a proper plexi sound at home without turning deaf and having problems with my neighbours. Also recording with this "toy" provides best results than I could get doing the traditional way just because my home is not an studio, it is an apartment.

Whilst I agree with you this technology makes some people lazy, I see also the good side: it has enabled many people that cannot afford an studio and traditional recording for several reasons, to create music with certain sound quality, something that was difficult years ago.
Marshall YJM100
Marshall JCM800 1981

Greg_L
Club Circuit

Post by Greg_L » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:22 am

mohi wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:31 am

Whilst I agree with you this technology makes some people lazy, I see also the good side: it has enabled many people that cannot afford an studio and traditional recording for several reasons, to create music with certain sound quality, something that was difficult years ago.
That's true on at the individual level. It's super easy and relatively cheap for literally anyone to "record" their music and flood the cosmos with it. It's very rewarding to have a finished song to listen to. It's also a disaster for everyone else. One one hand, more people making music is a good thing. On the other, it's completely saturated the market with mediocre or just plain bad crap. It used to be that to get your music heard you had to write songs and hone your chops and play live and enter an actual studio and record your music in earnest. It took time and skill and effort and serious commitment. It was a more exclusive club. I know that sounds snooty, but it's true. And it's not necessarily a bad thing. Now, anyone can come home from work, fire up a computer, and get an almost equal result with little to no skill and pollute the cyber-universe with it in the span of one evening. You don't have to "live it" anymore. You can fake it. And IMO faking it is never a good thing. The technology is absolutely amazing. It's also devalued the art for everyone. People "record" complete albums without ever having touched a microphone or preamp or tuned a snare or anything. There are band-in-a-box programs that will even play the damn songs for you. Just type in a chord progression! Ghastly. Ugh. It's a nightmare. If anyone can do it, then the people that have invested the time and work and can really do it are now pretty much worthless. That doesn't sit well with me.

I'm not knocking the AxeFx - it's an amazing piece of gear. And I'm not knocking those of you that use one - I understand not everyone can crank Plexis in their home. I just don't like the bigger picture for the whole industry. Software engineers should not be driving the musical marketplace.

mohi
Club Circuit

Post by mohi » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:24 pm

Yes you are totally right on that point. The music offering is so huge nowadays because that accessibility that has turned into an almost impossible task to find new stuff that catches your ears. On the other hand it made a bunch of good artists to have a chance to get exposure, but it is a minority.

I miss those times in the 80s when I could buy my vinyls without listening before to them (I had no choice anyway), it was almost sure I would love them because from the artist to the producer the whole chain had a quality that nowadays is not the same. And this does not happen only to Pop music, much of new Rock and Metal also is just crap!

Also happens to people like me that have in the guitar gear world a hobby where spend time and some of our well earned money. I like to be in My home studio with my amps, reactive load, the axe fx, just noddling and having fun, evades me from the routine, I don't feel the need of producing ultimate art works to justify my equipment, it is just a passion like any other.
Marshall YJM100
Marshall JCM800 1981

Greg_L
Club Circuit

Post by Greg_L » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:14 pm

mohi wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:24 pm
Yes you are totally right on that point. The music offering is so huge nowadays because that accessibility that has turned into an almost impossible task to find new stuff that catches your ears. On the other hand it made a bunch of good artists to have a chance to get exposure, but it is a minority.

I miss those times in the 80s when I could buy my vinyls without listening before to them (I had no choice anyway), it was almost sure I would love them because from the artist to the producer the whole chain had a quality that nowadays is not the same. And this does not happen only to Pop music, much of new Rock and Metal also is just crap!
Yeah I liked buying an album and just listening to it. I'd sit and stare at the sleeve and cover art and read about the mixing engineer and producer and what studio they recorded in....not really knowing anything about that stuff, but it was part of the experience. I love the "deep cuts". Some of my favorite songs from my favorite bands are wedged in the middle on Side 2 and never played live. Most people don't listen to music like that anymore. Music has been reduced back to singles and viral "hits" or disposable background noise pumped through earbuds while you walk to your Uber or sit on the toilet. The immediate gratification of streaming has killed the possibility of making money from sales. It was always a longshot for the little guy, but now there's no shot. Vinyl has made a strong comeback though, so maybe that's changing. It's also very very fragmented. There are so many styles and niches and sub-genres of the same thing....it's hard to keep track of. I mean, how many "metals" do there really have to be? There are like two dozen "styles" of rap, and they all hate each other. Wtf. I know, I'm just old fashioned. Don't care. I don't think new music is worse and/or old music is better, but the finding/buying/listening experience was certainly better in the old days.
Also happens to people like me that have in the guitar gear world a hobby where spend time and some of our well earned money. I like to be in My home studio with my amps, reactive load, the axe fx, just noddling and having fun, evades me from the routine, I don't feel the need of producing ultimate art works to justify my equipment, it is just a passion like any other.
Totally fair. I occupy the space somewhere between the new tech recording process and the old school pro studio. I run a small home studio where I record myself and others. I'm fortunate to not be restricted by noise considerations. If some band just insists on drum sample replacement or amp sims, I'll do it for them, but I strongly encourage everyone...insist even...that people have their shit together and come prepared. I'm going to strongly recommend that we record real drums. If joe guitar player has a nice amp, we're going to record it. I don't want to be a "producer", I'm not trying to help them craft songs, but I will be the engineer and facilitator. If your signature sound is a crappy solid state amp, we'll record it. Lol. The real deal is more important to me than sterile perfection. Real performances, real sounds, the real deal.

CaptNasty
Beginner
Beginner

Post by CaptNasty » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:25 am

@mohi is pretty much spot on with the bedroom player thing. You can get that cranked plexi sound at bedroom volumes. Plus you have a metric shit ton (everyone knows a metric shit ton is a lot more than an standard shit ton [smilie=icon_mrgreen.gif] ) of amp models and cabinet simulations. Pretty much every Marshall known to mankind, Diezel, Fender, Friedman, etc.

The Axe FX III also is just on a different level when compared to the Axe FX II XL+. The amp models are so much better than the Axe II. Fractal has gotten damn close to the real thing.

With that said, I have my Axe and I have my JVM. I want my cake and I want to eat it too.
USA Jackson Dinky DK1 Custom Shop (2018)
Ibanez JEM 7V WH - Japan (2005)
Suhr Modern Custom (2010)
Ibanez J Custom RG1502S - Japan (1998)
Gibson Les Paul Axcess Alex Lifeson Signature (2012)
Fender American Standard 60th Anniversary Commemorative Stratocaster (2014)
Charvel Satchel Signature Pro Mod DK - Re-finished, OFR, Schaller tuners (2018)
USA Jackson SL2H (2015)
Jackson RR5 (2009)
Ovation Collectors Series (2007)
Marshall JVM 410 HJS - Stock (4CM)
Fractal Audio Axe FX III (4CM & FRFR)
Marshall 1960 TV (4CM)
XiTone Michael Britt Active 1x12 (FRFR)
Fractal Audio Systems FC-6
EBTech Hum Eliminator HE-8
Furman P-1800 AR
Furman P-1800 PF R

mohi
Club Circuit

Post by mohi » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:34 am

Greg_L wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:14 pm
Totally fair. I occupy the space somewhere between the new tech recording process and the old school pro studio. I run a small home studio where I record myself and others. I'm fortunate to not be restricted by noise considerations. If some band just insists on drum sample replacement or amp sims, I'll do it for them, but I strongly encourage everyone...insist even...that people have their shit together and come prepared. I'm going to strongly recommend that we record real drums. If joe guitar player has a nice amp, we're going to record it. I don't want to be a "producer", I'm not trying to help them craft songs, but I will be the engineer and facilitator. If your signature sound is a crappy solid state amp, we'll record it. Lol. The real deal is more important to me than sterile perfection. Real performances, real sounds, the real deal.
Yeah, full ack, you are very lucky if can enjoy that place where noise is not a problem!
CaptNasty wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:25 am
@mohi is pretty much spot on with the bedroom player thing. You can get that cranked plexi sound at bedroom volumes. Plus you have a metric shit ton (everyone knows a metric shit ton is a lot more than an standard shit ton [smilie=icon_mrgreen.gif] ) of amp models and cabinet simulations. Pretty much every Marshall known to mankind, Diezel, Fender, Friedman, etc.

The Axe FX III also is just on a different level when compared to the Axe FX II XL+. The amp models are so much better than the Axe II. Fractal has gotten damn close to the real thing.

With that said, I have my Axe and I have my JVM. I want my cake and I want to eat it too.
Yes, it is good to have a choice however sometimes I look at my amps and realize I didn´t turn them on for weeks .... occasionally I plug them to the reactive load to warm up them a bit and remove any potential humidity but seems unfair having such a weaponry just as if it was furniture :)
Marshall YJM100
Marshall JCM800 1981

Greg_L
Club Circuit

Post by Greg_L » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:07 pm

mohi wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:34 am
seems unfair having such a weaponry just as if it was furniture :)
If you didn't live halfway around the world I'd make you an offer on that YJM. [smiley-surprised]

mohi
Club Circuit

Post by mohi » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:57 am

smilie=icon_lol.gif smilie=icon_lol.gif

It is on sale but I don't accept any bargaining, I guess (hope) nobody will bid for it so I can keep it [smilie=icon_mrgreen.gif]
Marshall YJM100
Marshall JCM800 1981

kmanick
Private Parties

Post by kmanick » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:56 pm

I have both a JVM 210H modded with the neg feedback mod, gain reduction and mid shift. I love it, OD1 Orange is where I live on this thing.
I also have an Axe FX II , last night they sent out a firmware update that is part of what the Axe III uses.
I've been going back and forth all morning between the 2.
On my Axe Fx the JVM JS OR1 amp and the Friedman BE are my 2 main Go-to's (the Cameron CCV2 is also great)
I don't use FRFR , I go into a very early JCM 800 2X12 cab. with the Axe FX I use the Seymour Duncan PowerStage..
If I blind fold you and switch back and forth between the 2 you'd have a hard time guessing which one is which. This "Ares" power amp modeling is damn close. BUT....... I 've been using my Axe Fx with my cover band (doing classic rock covers, Thin Lizzy, Pat Travers , Aerosmith,Led Zep , Bad Company) all marshall based stuff that's fun to play. I had been using a Mesa Recto 2X12 cab and the last rehearsal I was completely disappearing in the mix. The other guitarist is using an Egnater 1X12 combo and he completed Squashed me. I was really shocked. When it's just me and the bass player it sounds amazing, and it's not a volume issue , it's a "body" issue if that makes any sense.
I am going to try it again on Monday, but with my JCM 800 Cab.
I'd love to use the Axe FX Live because I've got a ton of really usable patches with different amps set up (supertwead Led Zep patch sounds so spot on it's comical) and it's such a simple light weight rig to haul around, but if I no one can hear me (and we don't rehearse very loud) it's not going to work.
I'm hoping it's just the cab
JVM210H-NegFB mod, Od2-Od1 Mod-Plexi Mod, Od gain reduction Mod
JCM800 2X12
Recto 2X12
Axe FX II
Seismic SAX-15 FRFR powered wedge